Page 30 of 81 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: The official 36" zelos twin modding thread

Quote Originally Posted by Team Lucas View Post
    I know that! talking hold down to the water better, I run 6s total that is 3s to each esc. does it make a difference in ride with 4 bats in the hull?... yes I already know it will go faster with 6s per esc, but if it cant stay on the water with 3s each, why go for 6s each?
    Oh I get what your saying now. 2-3s per side supposedly runs better and keeps her planted to the water better from the weight of the extra lipos. Good luck and have fun.

I'm still ha wing major issues with turning with my Zelos. Very wide turns with the travel of the rudder maxed out both left and right. Not sure what else to try?

Sent from my cell using Tapatalk

If you're running two 3s packs stock you are running 6s to both ESCs. You are just sharing the mah between the two. By 12s I think you mean 6s2p. 4 packs in 6s2p helped me alot with the added weight and mah. Running 4 packs you double the mah but the voltage and C rating stay the same. With two series adapters that is.

Do some you guys tryied to put the batteries in front of the motors but more in the front ?
    Last edited by Banzee; 07-24-2016 at 09:21 PM.

I tried one a month back, may have been too large, what size, I'm thinking a dowl cut in half and bent
    You just use a piece of straight 1/4" - 5/16" dowl, carbon tube or even a drinking straw, if you don't want it permanent you can tape it onto the tunnel. The tube runs the width of tunnel around 2" in from the front of the tunnel. Some also use a piece of plastic angle hanging down as a dam.

Got my tp3605 2080kv motors and turnigy 180 esc's installed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyPrerunner View Post
    Oh I get what your saying now. 2-3s per side supposedly runs better and keeps her planted to the water better from the weight of the extra lipos. Good luck and have fun.

I'm still ha wing major issues with turning with my Zelos. Very wide turns with the travel of the rudder maxed out both left and right. Not sure what else to try?

Sent from my cell using Tapatalk
    What speed are you running? Just a thought, maybe servo weak, might turn fine on bench, but the torque at speed, might be too much, if you let up on the gas just a little in turns, does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
    Got my tp3605 2080kv motors and turnigy 180 esc's installed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
    Had a guy at my pond run new motors {forgot what ones} and those esc's. Esc's heated up too much and cut out in 2 laps. His set up may have been different then what you have with motors and bats, but if running 4 batteries, you will find that the water line that you don't have hooked up yet in pictures, get pinched a lot in 4 bat setup. At lease his was. [not saying that's what caused overheating]

Experimenting with batteries, [1st non-gas boat] I ran 4x 2s batteries and only hit 47 mph. I changed to 2x 3s batteries and hit 65mph. I know the weight would slow it down, but thought the extra boost in batteries would off set the weight?? if I ran 4x 3s batteries, that adds more weight, but you guys are hitting 70s with 4x 3s. what am I missing here? no question is stupid...right? lol btw, all is stock electronics.

I'm not sure what your asking. 4s voltage is usually mid to high 40's...which your spot on. 6s voltage is 60+ which your spot on too. Mine ran low 70's with stock sharpened props and a sharpened rudder. All I used was two 3s packs in series, not (4) 3s packs.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I'm not sure what your asking. 4s voltage is usually mid to high 40's...which your spot on. 6s voltage is 60+ which your spot on too. Mine ran low 70's with stock sharpened props and a sharpened rudder. All I used was two 3s packs in series, not (4) 3s packs.
    was running 4x 2s so a total of 8s and went faster with less cells 2x 3s total 6s I thought more cells the faster ? getting ready to order props, what ones are you using?

was running 4x 2s so a total of 8s and went faster with less cells 2x 3s total 6s I thought more cells the faster ? getting ready to order props, what ones are you using?
    You weren't using 8s voltage, you were using 4s voltage. I don't recommend using the props I'm using, things get pretty hot unless your just making a straight speed run or two. Besides, I only picked up 4mph with the props I'm running vs the stock props
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    You weren't using 8s voltage, you were using 4s voltage. I don't recommend using the props I'm using, things get pretty hot unless your just making a straight speed run or two. Besides, I only picked up 4mph with the props I'm running vs the stock props
    Ok understand, you guys with 75+ speeds are not set up for laps? Is it possible to set up a race boat, say 4 to 6 laps, with a speed of 70 in the straights, stock electronics? I'll do the tweaking, but would love to know what props to start off with... long time ago was taught, change 1 thing at a time, starting with prop.

Ok understand, you guys with 75+ speeds are not set up for laps? Is it possible to set up a race boat, say 4 to 6 laps, with a speed of 70 in the straights, stock electronics? I'll do the tweaking, but would love to know what props to start off with... long time ago was taught, change 1 thing at a time, starting with prop.

Well. If you want a consistent, reliable 70mph then here's what I'd do:

Stock props, sharpened and balanced or a set of octura 442's
    (4) 3s 5000mah+ and I'd recommend a motor change. TP power 4040 or 3650 in the 2000kv range. You'll need to dial things in but if you change the motors it's going to be easier to attain your speed

Just got back from the lake. First set of 4 packs I ran I just bashed it around with no rhyme or reason like it was stolen. Second set I ran estimated hotlaps again like it was stolen. This was the hardest Ive ever run it and could be considered abuse. Still motors where not as hot as stock, ESCs where not as hot as stock. I guess its all in your setup. This thing stays planted and I pretty much guarantee will out run a stock Zelos in turns and straights. Got a lil carried away in the end and cartwheel skipped it across the water. Nothing broke. 85.3 on gps from first run, took it out for the laps. Im extremely curious how it would do in a timed event. My experience, this hull likes more weight and more power.

Btw. Im running four packs as far forward as the trays will allow. Pretty much under the bow. The two in the middle are velcro strapped down and the outside packs are wedged in using the foam tube inserts. Ive tumbled it and they don't move. These packs are a little wider than most though. I have taped the ends of my packs with sports/ fight tape for traction as Ive done forever. Call it hokey but it works. The motors have been knocked out of allignment and the packs didn't budge. image.jpg
    Last edited by Erroneous; 07-24-2016 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
    Btw. Im running four packs as far forward as the trays will allow. Pretty much under the bow. The two in the middle are velcro strapped down and the outside packs are wedged in using the foam tube inserts. Ive tumbled it and they don't move. These packs are a little wider than most though. I have taped the ends of my packs with sports/ fight tape for traction as Ive done forever. Call it hokey but it works. The motors have been knocked out of allignment and the packs didn't budge. image.jpg
    Nice setup man, looks like you got it all figured out with this boat. My Zelos finally hit the water after a 1 month hiatus. I took my time making sure everything was water ready. I changed bearings, upgraded to the OSE HD Flex, installed Octura lead teflon, along with my x447s. Didn't GPS it to see if any changes and also because I ran at a new spot (lake) vs river. I was more concerned about my surroundings than getting a good run in. After a 3-4 min run, brought her in and she had smoke. Motors were hot, ESC's were hot. I don't think I'm getting proper cooling or I have metal to metal contact which I took my time lining up the flex to the motors, they spin freely! Tomorrow I will check it out over to make sure I'm not missing anything!
    Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

Quote Originally Posted by Keagan-Z06 View Post
    Nice setup man, looks like you got it all figured out with this boat. My Zelos finally hit the water after a 1 month hiatus. I took my time making sure everything was water ready. I changed bearings, upgraded to the OSE HD Flex, installed Octura lead teflon, along with my x447s. Didn't GPS it to see if any changes and also because I ran at a new spot (lake) vs river. I was more concerned about my surroundings than getting a good run in. After a 3-4 min run, brought her in and she had smoke. Motors were hot, ESC's were hot. I don't think I'm getting proper cooling or I have metal to metal contact which I took my time lining up the flex to the motors, they spin freely! Tomorrow I will check it out over to make sure I'm not missing anything!
    The routing of your cooling lines are correct ??

Get my Zelos out yesterday , i love the way she handle with the x447 s&b . The water was too choppy for speed , but for bashing , that was super ! I did a small try of the cnc 5214 /3 , that was awesome , but with the stock electronic , i remove them soon before something go bad !

Mind sharing for comparison sake how it should be?
    Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

Mind sharing for comparison sake how it should be?
    Did you reroute the in between esc Line like some did or you have the loop like out of the box ?

I have factory loop!

I have factory loop!
    So the water suppose to get in and out without problem ! Did you remove the paint in the inlet hole with a hobby knive to make sure that the water come in freely ?

I did but will make sure it's all out.

I did but will make sure it's all out.
    To check , i put air pressure to see if it go all to the exit !! But I am not in love with the under hull inlet ! For the drive i do , i prefer the rudder inlet !!
    Last edited by Banzee; 07-25-2016 at 06:02 PM.

Try 4 y-splitters from OSE. Y split as the water comes in giving the motor and esc cold water independently. Then y split again to the outlets. Clean the inlets and teardrop the inlets. Water should shoot a good 16-18 inches out.

Try 4 y-splitters from OSE. Y split as the water comes in giving the motor and esc cold water independently. Then y split again to the outlets. Clean the inlets and teardrop the inlets. Water should shoot a good 16-18 inches out.
    How would this work with regards to what Rafael mentioned with the purpose of the cooling. He stated somewhere in this thread that you wont see water spraying 6-8" out the outlets because it is designed to keep the water just enough to cool the motors and ESC efficiently. DO NOT QUOTE me on that. lol

Not saying anyones wrong or right but. Take a piece of metal and put a little bit of water on it. Now take another like piece and put a bunch of water on it.. Which one do you think cooled off more. Heat is your enemy.

I wanted to let you guys know there a different option if you want to run 6s and not have to fool with 4 batteries and not quite as much weight.....

Not saying anyones wrong or right but. Take a piece of metal and put a little bit of water on it. Now take another like piece and put a bunch of water on it.. Which one do you think cooled off more. Heat is your enemy.
    Point taken! I'll double check when I get home if anything is binding first then its on to the tear drop inlet.

Page 30 of 81 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast