Page 3 of 81 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The official 36" zelos twin modding thread

Damn it. I sure do feel like an a$$. Either way I don't have a 10mm, I won't be able to get one until Tuesday after the holiday.

I just giving you hard time, sorry. I started out in Product Support, no one ever reads our manuals, lol.
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

I downloaded the digital copy. Will read today! Let's see if these pictures work

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

The manual for this boat is freaking AMAZING... People really should read it! It's actually useful.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

I'll take that compliment, considering I wrote it, lol.

Nice pictures Keagan!
    Rafael Lopez

I have some abc 1816-10-50 3 I want to try tomorrow. Have you used those yet? I'm on my phone and haven't had time to read all the post in this thread.
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by JPriami View Post
    I have some abc 1816-10-50 3 I want to try tomorrow. Have you used those yet? I'm on my phone and haven't had time to read all the post in this thread.
    If I recall you sharpened your stock props already right? How was that over stock? I'm assuming this abc prop you wanna try should put you around 70ish?

I didn't run my boat on the stock props as stock. I sharpened and balanced them before it ever touched the water. So I'm not able to give that comparision.

As far as the abc props I mention. Those were used on my 32" twin cat. Pushed 80 mph on just 14.8v. But I'm worried they may be too much for the stock zelos electrics.

As far as the abc props I mention. Those were used on my 32" twin cat. Pushed 80 mph on just 14.8v. But I'm worried they may be too much for the stock zelos electrics.

I don't consider those good props either. They are more of an amp hog than say a 1815-17-45 and a good bit slower even though they have more pitch. My experience with those props anyway. If you went 80 with those props, you would go 88-90 with 1815's
    Last edited by kfxguy; 03-25-2016 at 09:54 PM.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I don't consider those good props either. They are more of an amp hog than say a 1815-17-45 and a good bit slower even though they have more pitch. My experience with those props anyway. If you went 80 with those props, you would go 88-90 with 1815's
    kfx are you saying with just a prop change the Zelos can possibly go 80+ or am I missing some other upgrades?

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez View Post
    That's one of those silly details I put in the manual, lol
    Got them loose last night, lubed up with grease and did a little testing (not on water). Ill see if I can get the video posted up. Also attempted to sharpen props as well, so like other members, I too wont have a stock baseline for comparison.

Sorry for the quality, not on wifi.
    Last edited by Keagan-Z06; 03-26-2016 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keagan-Z06 View Post
    kfx are you saying with just a prop change the Zelos can possibly go 80+ or am I missing some other upgrades?
    No. His boat he went 80 with when using those props
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Keagan-Z06, the props I mention were from a custom build I did a few years ago. The Corvette twin 32" rivercat. I went about 80 mph with the abc props I mentioned on just 14.8v. The boat was never fully topped out as it still had the ability to run on 22.2v. So it's real top speed never was achived. I had a servo glitch and it wiped out. Part of the hull split so I retired the hull to shelf queen. Paint still looked good for that.
    IMG_0034.jpg

Jpriami, what motors and ESCs were in that boat?
    Rafael Lopez

Keagan-Z06, the props I mention were from a custom build I did a few years ago. The Corvette twin 32" rivercat. I went about 80 mph with the abc props I mentioned on just 14.8v. The boat was never fully topped out as it still had the ability to run on 22.2v. So it's real top speed never was achived. I had a servo glitch and it wiped out. Part of the hull split so I retired the hull to shelf queen. Paint still looked good for that.
    IMG_0034.jpg
    The name corvette is enough to get me excited. Are those c6 or c5 crossed flags. Reason I ask is because I also see the ZR1 emblem which is only on the 6th gen. Either way I say revive the beast!

Rafael, The Motors were Leopard 3674 2650Kv. ESCs swordfish pro 220. im a bit worried the abc props I have might be too much for the stock zelos electrics. But ill check temps and short test today.

Keagan-Z06, Its the 6th gen corvette. I used to have a C5 that I supercharged and did a lot of stuff too before I got hitched & was single. So after having a family and kids, i decided to get back into RC. So of course I built a boat & the paint scheme was after the 6th gen corvette race cars. I had a forum member make up the custom graphics for me. Also the C5 has a ring around the flags. C6 does not.

Rafael, The Motors were Leopard 3674 2650Kv. ESCs swordfish pro 220. im a bit worried the abc props I have might be too much for the stock zelos electrics. But ill check temps and short test today.

Keagan-Z06, Its the 6th gen corvette. I used to have a C5 that I supercharged and did a lot of stuff too before I got hitched & was single. So after having a family and kids, i decided to get back into RC. So of course I built a boat & the paint scheme was after the 6th gen corvette race cars. I had a forum member make up the custom graphics for me. Also the C5 has a ring around the flags. C6 does not.
    I think a Jake themed livery would do good from the C7R!

IMG_0034.jpg
    This rivercat is so bada$$ lol I went through your build thread last fall, beautiful boat I never knew you cracked it up you should definitely resurrect it lol

I got up early to beat the wind/rain and was rewarded. Testing Octura X447s on excellent water. First fast run was 73.4mph and the backup run was 73.7mph. I made a couple passes on 4S and it came out to 51.1mph. The best thing is that when my boat gets past about 60ish it settles down and runs dead flat. Amazingly smooth. So far, on lower speeds (like the 4S runs) it just bounces along and will not settle down. Anyway, excellent experience with these props. The acceleration is much better than my stock unsharpened props. I bet a lot of that was because they weren't sharpened though. All the temps were low. Motors got to around 100. ESC, cap pack, connectors, batteries all were around 90. Take note though that these were just speed runs for roughly half of my packs capacity. Sport running for an entire packs worth would give you higher temps and I haven't tested that. On top of that I was bringing it in regularly to check temps and speeds.

IMG_1077 (Medium).JPG IMG_1078 (Medium).jpg IMG_1080 (Medium).JPG

Quote Originally Posted by arrover View Post
    I got up early to beat the wind/rain and was rewarded. Testing Octura X447s on excellent water. First fast run was 73.4mph and the backup run was 73.7mph. I made a couple passes on 4S and it came out to 51.1mph. The best thing is that when my boat gets past about 60ish it settles down and runs dead flat. Amazingly smooth. So far, on lower speeds (like the 4S runs) it just bounces along and will not settle down. Anyway, excellent experience with these props. The acceleration is much better than my stock unsharpened props. I bet a lot of that was because they weren't sharpened though. All the temps were low. Motors got to around 100. ESC, cap pack, connectors, batteries all were around 90. Take note though that these were just speed runs for roughly half of my packs capacity. Sport running for an entire packs worth would give you higher temps and I haven't tested that. On top of that I was bringing it in regularly to check temps and speeds.

Wow congrats arrover! That thing is flying. This was just a prop change correct? Sharpened and balanced?
    Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

Thanks! Yes, prop change only. You HAVE to sharpen and balance Octura and ABC props before you run them.

73.4 and 73.7 mph with two (2) 3s batteries? Wow! Have you tried four (4) 3s packs?
    What Mah and C rating are those packs? Brand?
    I'm impressed! All that from a prop swap.
    Good job!

Great job man !
    what a cheap upgrade on a RTR and get over 70mph !
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Thanks guys. I have not tried running dedicated 6S to each motor/esc yet. I've only run the Y harness with two 3S packs so far. The batteries are Hobbyking Turnigy Heavy Dutys, 5000mah. I think their C rating is something like 60-120 and they have 5.5mm bullets. I have two sets of these batteries and they have run well in my modded Voracity and now in the Zelos.

Very impressive Arrower. I have a set of those psops that I sharpened and balanced but have yet to try them. I've actually not been back on the water for some weeks now.

Thanks for the update and glad to her you're getting your boat settled in.
    Rafael Lopez

Thanks guys. I have not tried running dedicated 6S to each motor/esc yet. I've only run the Y harness with two 3S packs so far. The batteries are Hobbyking Turnigy Heavy Dutys, 5000mah. I think their C rating is something like 60-120 and they have 5.5mm bullets. I have two sets of these batteries and they have run well in my modded Voracity and now in the Zelos.
    Do you have a hard time getting those Turnigy's? I am trying to get the graphene but back ordered!
    Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez View Post
    I've actually not been back on the water for some weeks now.
    I imagine you need a break from boats sometimes. To much of a good thing I would guess. It's hard for us hobbyist to imagine that!

Keagan, I think I had to wait for the batteries to be restocked last time I ordered. And just to be clear, the Turnigy packs have 5.5mm bullets so you will have to either change the EC5 connectors on the boat or solder EC5s on the batteries. They're not plug and play like Horizon's packs are.

Keagan, I think I had to wait for the batteries to be restocked last time I ordered. And just to be clear, the Turnigy packs have 5.5mm bullets so you will have to either change the EC5 connectors on the boat or solder EC5s on the batteries. They're not plug and play like Horizon's packs are.
    Thanks man, I'll keep an eye out. My Dynamite packs are scheduled to come in tonight on cargo plane, so should be able to clear them at customs tomorrow! Also my Zelos was picked up a few minutes ago, like it never was hit!

This morning I wanted to test the x447 props with 15 degree timing but things just didn't go smoothly. I did verify that the 73+mph runs from the other day were with 7 degrees timing. I changed the timing to 15 degrees and upped the LVC to 3.4v for this morning. The boat continued to hit the LVC even with full packs so I disabled it. Then I flipped the boat 3 times on calm water before I realized that one strut had come out of adjustment. I eye balled it compared to the one that was still in adjustment and continued on. I could not seem to get the boat to run faster than 68._mph. I even turned the timing down to 11? degrees but nothing was working for me. In the end there were to many variables, things out of adjustment, and a little frustration so I packed it in. Still, it appears that the combination of this prop and increased timing wasn't the best. I'm going to try it again though.

Rafael, were you able to find out the wind of these motors? It would be helpful to know for timing purposes.

Page 3 of 81 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast