Page 12 of 81 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: The official 36" zelos twin modding thread

In the first page I posted a few things that help. Sharpen rudder. Smooth and polish the flexes. Make sure the motors are aligned perfectly with the drive tube.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by Keagan-Z06 View Post
    I think I asked this ? Before but I figure I'd ask again to make sure. It's not wise to run 2 different brand packs? Correct?
    Best to run the same yes
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Looks like there won't be any runs anytime soon. Charged the packs, load the Zelos in the truck. Connected packs to make sure everything was running on. ESC's won't come ready, receiver isn't lighted. Opened it up. Brand new receiver I changed for the 60.5mph run is dead from getting wet. Have it out in d sun after some contact cleaner in hopes but I doubt it. This is the 4th receiver. 2 for the voracity and 2 for the Zelos. They all never resurrected
    Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

Looks like there won't be any runs anytime soon. Charged the packs, load the Zelos in the truck. Connected packs to make sure everything was running on. ESC's won't come ready, receiver isn't lighted. Opened it up. Brand new receiver I changed for the 60.5mph run is dead from getting wet. Have it out in d sun after some contact cleaner in hopes but I doubt it. This is the 4th receiver. 2 for the voracity and 2 for the Zelos. They all never resurrected

Have you ever heard of 5 minute eopxy?
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I actually did a video the other day on how to epoxy coat a receiver but I never posted it because I wasn't satisfied with my video-genics. I can upload it to YouTube and send to you if you want. I epoxy coat all of my stuff (escs, becs, receivers and sometimes servos) and I don't have issues.

Brand new receiver I changed for the 60.5mph run is dead from getting wet.

Remind me again what RX this is?

Also, WHY is this boat getting so wet inside?? Are people not taping down the hatch??
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Let me say this to be clear. All stock electronics, octura 447 props only! In all honesty the RX seems to be the weakling in MY opinion. Hatched taped each run to be on the safe side. I did notice however while doing the recommendation for the strut cleaning by Rafael, I was getting some back flow through the transom from below the bottom screws, same area where I saw the black "smut" from. Could be nothing, could be where water is getting in from but I doubt it. The Zelos is in no way getting the water the voracity did, but getting some nonetheless. I managed to get the receiver working, packs charged. SMC pack still no luck as yet.
    Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

Oh off to supermarket to get a balloon.

As long as you keep getting water in your boats you will have reliability issues. Any boat can be made dry - oh maybe a few drops but not enough to cause wet electronics. I hear people say it isn't possible but I have proven otherwise. Club members now seldom have more than a few drops in their boats as long as they follow instructions. Learning to build a dry boat is as important as any other FE skill.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Let me say this to be clear. All stock electronics, octura 447 props only! In all honesty the RX seems to be the weakling in MY opinion. Hatched taped each run to be on the safe side. I did notice however while doing the recommendation for the strut cleaning by Rafael, I was getting some back flow through the transom from below the bottom screws, same area where I saw the black "smut" from. Could be nothing, could be where water is getting in from but I doubt it. The Zelos is in no way getting the water the voracity did, but getting some nonetheless. I managed to get the receiver working, packs charged. SMC pack still no luck as yet.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, you really need to remove each piece of hardware and seal each thing with a little silicon.

Man my buddy runs the sr310 receiver in 2 of his boats, which have been completely swamped and get a little wet occasionally and he has never had one go bad. How much water exactly are you getting in the boats? A few drops? A tablespoon? A cup? 5 cups? I would pressure check the cooling systems, and set them in a bathtub to make sure you don't have water coming through any of the hardware. I find it hard to believe those receivers are going bad if they are getting slightly wet, they are made to

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, you really need to remove each piece of hardware and seal each thing with a little silicon.
    ^ This too, I use a dab of clear silicone on every bolt that goes through the hull

I didn't get to do another run. On my way to the river my hood let go on me. So it won't be until the weekend. Sorry guys.

Took all my hardware off and used a non drying sticky pad (not sure what its called, got it from a HVAC guru at work) and sealed my struts to transom. Try plastidip for the receiver. Peels right off if needed.

In the first page I posted a few things that help. Sharpen rudder. Smooth and polish the flexes. Make sure the motors are aligned perfectly with the drive tube.
    Thanks KFX, will give this a go when I get some time off again. I'm assuming smoothing the flex won't affect the tight fit it has in the strut?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    As long as you keep getting water in your boats you will have reliability issues. Any boat can be made dry - oh maybe a few drops but not enough to cause wet electronics. I hear people say it isn't possible but I have proven otherwise. Club members now seldom have more than a few drops in their boats as long as they follow instructions. Learning to build a dry boat is as important as any other FE skill.

Thanks man, I must have just had an unlucky Voracity as since day one it got water even though I taped the hatch. I since then silicone screw but I won't be able to tell until I get a replacement servo. I placed the receiver in a balloon on the Zelos so hopefully when I run again it won't be an issue.

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case but don't mind doing it if it will keep it out. I did a short video of where the smut is coming out from using the contact cleaner. Will post shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxkid261 View Post
    Man my buddy runs the sr310 receiver in 2 of his boats, which have been completely swamped and get a little wet occasionally and he has never had one go bad. How much water exactly are you getting in the boats? A few drops? A tablespoon? A cup? 5 cups? I would pressure check the cooling systems, and set them in a bathtub to make sure you don't have water coming through any of the hardware. I find it hard to believe those receivers are going bad if they are getting slightly wet, they are made to
    I would say about about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water gets in. Usually sits in the back near the 4 bolts for the struts. Do you thing spraying plasti dip on the inside around those nuts would help or just silicone all the nuts?

Quote Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
    Took all my hardware off and used a non drying sticky pad (not sure what its called, got it from a HVAC guru at work) and sealed my struts to transom. Try plastidip for the receiver. Peels right off if needed.
    Have a pic of said sticky pad?

Look where the screws are. If you look closely you will see the cleaner coming out. I should of taken the video while the strut was dirty.
    Last edited by Keagan-Z06; 05-27-2016 at 03:25 PM.

I like the silicone Im not to familiar with plasti dip Ive never really use it

Those drives are a 6 piece design. They just need to be tightened up, just don't over tighten them or you'll crush the plastic socked washers that the strut ball sits in. You don't need to remove the base off the hull. Just the 3mm adjustment bolt and then use an open end wrench to loosen the nut that holds the strut to the base.
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

Have a pic of said sticky pad?
    No pics of the goo pad, its about twice as dense as bubble gum and should just wipe off with a finger. Silicone should do about the same thing. As far as waterproofing, the plasti dip is just my take on it. Dont take my word over these guys they have waaaayy more experience than I do. Im a guppy in this pond.

Quote Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
    I've found plasti dip shrinks over time and tears holes in itself. Use two part epoxy. Not a ballon, that just looks horrible. Epoxy. Do it. What have you got to lose? Evidently doing nothing isn't helping. Just make dure the epoxy covers the pins that stick out the bottom of the circuit board and pack some dielectric grease in the plugs.

I've found plasti dip shrinks over time and tears holes in itself. Use two part epoxy. Not a ballon, that just looks horrible. Epoxy. Do it. What have you got to lose? Evidently doing nothing isn't helping. Just make dure the epoxy covers the pins that stick out the bottom of the circuit board and pack some dielectric grease in the plugs.
    Will do, unfortunately I'm stuck here at working with the Zelos on my mind. River about a mile away... uggghhh!

Quick request from any of you that have achieved over 65- 75 mph with your Zelos. I am thinking maybe I didn't sharpen the X447s enough, would it be possible for anybody to take pics of their props sharpened and balanced for comparison sake. I know I won't be able to tell the difference by pics only but its a start. I know arrover runs the X447s but any prop will do in this case.

Quick request from any of you that have achieved over 65- 75 mph with your Zelos. I am thinking maybe I didn't sharpen the X447s enough, would it be possible for anybody to take pics of their props sharpened and balanced for comparison sake. I know I won't be able to tell the difference by pics only but its a start. I know arrover runs the X447s but any prop will do in this case.

They will cut you if your not careful

Yeaaahhh mine looks nothing like that! Will a post a photo when I get home.

Bench test your props after you balance them. Full throttle for 2 seconds; wont hurt a thing. Be extra cautious of the spinning props. If the drive/strut vibrates, the prop's not balanced.
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

image.jpg Unpolished Dasboata abc 1615s. 68 mph stock electronics.

Page 12 of 81 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast