Page 58 of 81 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 2430

Thread: The official 36" zelos twin modding thread

Has anyone done anything to address the thickness, or lack there of, of the hull at the rear of the sponsons where the struts attach? I'm on a carbon reinforcement kick at the moment, and am debating a simple overlay approach on the inside or paying someone to cut some shims from carbon plate to sandwhich between the struts and the hull on the outside.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I don't think the shims would make it any stronger. I think an overlay would be better I would like to do that myself. Don't know if you could just flood the area with a layer of epoxy or lay some glass cloth in . Either of which I have never done so I would need some education on what epoxy/ cloth to use. I was surprised how thin that area was when I was remounting the struts with silicon sealer, but what do I know, just seemed thin

Using appropriately sized carbon shims should spread the load out over a larger area of the rear face, potentially all the way to the edges, but would add thickness to the assembly changing hardware and driveline length issues. I suppose it won't hurt anything to lay carbon cloth over that area on the inside and I won't have to alter any of the hardware.

REDLINE, I'll cut you two extra pieces of carbon when I trace a pattern tonight. Then all you'll need is a little resin.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Sweet thanks! as long as the screws are long enough to accommodate the increased thickness should be no problem.

I actually cut some shim plates out of 25gauge galvanized steel and marine epoxied in to brace the hull. It had some pretty bad spiderweb cracks that where starting to flake off. The thick marine epoxy doesnt look the greatest on the inside where I couldnt sand it but is for sure 3times stronger than stock. Its in this thread with pics a ways back. It works, dont see why the carbon wont. The clear epoxy will for sure look better and lay out better.

I have a question for you electric guys. What gets hotter 1st, motor or esc's? seems like my motors are hotter then esc's. thinking of cooling motors 1st then the esc's. running 6s each.
    Zelos 36 stock 68 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Team Lucas View Post
    I have a question for you electric guys. What gets hotter 1st, motor or esc's? seems like my motors are hotter then esc's. thinking of cooling motors 1st then the esc's. running 6s each.
    I think it depends on the setup and how much throttle you use throughout the run. I cool my ESC's first, but after a prop change on my blackjack 29, my motor was hotter than the ESC. I swapped the cooling lines and everything was even again.

Does it "seem" like they are hotter, or are you reading them with an actual thermal gun?

a gun and there 40 to 50 degrees hotter
    Zelos 36 stock 68 mph

a gun and there 40 to 50 degrees hotter
    That is a big difference.

What are your actual temp readings:
    ESC's - ?????
    Motors - ????
    Batteries - ????

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    That is a big difference.

What are your actual temp readings:
    ESC's - ?????
    Motors - ????
    Batteries - ????

Larry
    I agree with Larry, but what are the actual temps. If the motors are 120* and the ESCs are 80*, I would not worry about it too much. But is your motors are 180* and your ESCs are 230*, then I'd worry.

Also, are you running stock props?
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez View Post
    I agree with Larry, but what are the actual temps. If the motors are 120* and the ESCs are 80*, I would not worry about it too much. But is your motors are 180* and your ESCs are 230*, then I'd worry.

Also, are you running stock props?
    I am running x447's and I will take bat ,motor ,and esc's temp tomorrow.
    Thanks for replying guys.
    Zelos 36 stock 68 mph

BTW Rafael. another guy at the pond liked mine so much, he bought one, that's 3 and counting :) Running a couple of them in a heat is impressive to watch.
    Last edited by Team Lucas; 02-18-2017 at 01:50 PM.
    Zelos 36 stock 68 mph

BTW Rafael. another guy at the pond liked mine so much, he bought one, that's 3 and counting :) Running a couple of them in a heat is impressive to watch.
    Must be tough to keep track of your own boat!
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I am running x447's and I will take bat ,motor ,and esc's temp tomorrow.
    Thanks for replying guys.
    What are your water temps like? I can't seem to find any of my temp data from the fall, but the local pond was probably mid 60's and I could run just short of 3min on 2 3S packs, stock electronics, x447 props, and the electronics we only warm to the touch. Even in the middle of summer, when everything ran hotter, I never saw the differences you're describing. I filed tear drops in front of each water inlet on the bottom of the hull, plumbed both ESC's in series before cooling a motor and then exiting the hull. I drilled out the water oulets with one size larger drill bit as well.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

well ran things the best way i could with the room i had.reallly tight in there.once again this was a project just to see if this would work so haters stay clear.setup it two custom wound 1.5x4 cordova motors that r 2700 kv each running 8s each so 16s total and i am using a futaba radio 4pks-super r for good range all powered by thunder power batteries.i also have the 48 inch zelos running a 1650 lehner 3040 on 10 s waiting to also test this summer.WILL SUMMER HURRY AND GET HERE LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Images Attached Images

Looking forward to see this
    Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Must be tough to keep track of your own boat!
    not when your in front
    Zelos 36 stock 68 mph

Looks good. +1 on...I cant wait for summer.

Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

Quote Originally Posted by Keagan-Z06 View Post
    Are those 4050?
    Genesis 36", Zelos Twin 36"

Sure is!

Nice nice,and kv? Im thinking of those also on 2100
    Genesis 36", Zelos Twin 36"

IMG_3879.jpg

Just need to tidy up a bit now.

Finally getting around to this project. Any recommendations on how to setup the fiberglass cloth and PT40 finishing resin before I do something wrong? Thinking of putting tape around the outside of the hills crack before laying in the glass and coating the rear.
    Also just noticed the left side steering cable is frayed should I replace it or grease it up good and let it ride?

Thanks for any and all recommendations/tips.
    Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by baller69 View Post
    well ran things the best way i could with the room i had.reallly tight in there.once again this was a project just to see if this would work so haters stay clear.setup it two custom wound 1.5x4 cordova motors that r 2700 kv each running 8s each so 16s total and i am using a futaba radio 4pks-super r for good range all powered by thunder power batteries.i also have the 48 inch zelos running a 1650 lehner 3040 on 10 s waiting to also test this summer.WILL SUMMER HURRY AND GET HERE LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are those Ebay controllers?

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyPrerunner View Post
    Also just noticed the left side steering cable is frayed should I replace it or grease it up good and let it ride?

I would definitely replace that cable it looks like its ready to let loose

Quote Originally Posted by baller69 View Post

I can't wait to see this!
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Isn't that like 60,000 rpm per motor? I'm sure interested to see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Mxkid261 View Post
    Isn't that like 60,000 rpm per motor? I'm sure interested to see what happens

me to LOL!

Page 58 of 81 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast