Page 1 of 81 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The official 36" zelos twin modding thread

Default The official 36" zelos twin modding thread

This is an open thread for everyone to post their successes and failures and info on their modding to the zelos twin. I think the first thing that will be popular will be prop swapping. Let me start.

I flushed my water pickups. Everything hanging in the water creates drag. It made no difference at all. None. So skip this. Just had to try it just in case. I tear drop shaped them. I'll take pics when I get home, but still skip this step unless you just want to do it.

Pic of mine in the water

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

well i ran the boat through 2 battery packs back to back. the batteries im using are spc 7200mah 70c. the temps after both packs were motor 97 , esc 88, battery 100 , and battery connectors 119. so theres room to prop up. i ran the batteries all the way to the back and only got only 58mph. then i moved the battery all the way to the front on the second pack and got the exact same results 58mph. the boat is very stable at those speeds. time to do some modding!!! also i notice that the stream of water that comes out of the outlet is not very strong so i dont believe it is cooling as well as it should be, have you guys also notice that?

My temps have been low also. One of the "U" shaped water hoses on my ESC looks like it's on the verge of being kinked. You might want to check that. I may extend mine so the bend is more gentle.

Quote Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
    well i ran the boat through 2 battery packs back to back. the batteries im using are spc 7200mah 70c. the temps after both packs were motor 97 , esc 88, battery 100 , and battery connectors 119. so theres room to prop up. i ran the batteries all the way to the back and only got only 58mph. then i moved the battery all the way to the front on the second pack and got the exact same results 58mph. the boat is very stable at those speeds. time to do some modding!!! also i notice that the stream of water that comes out of the outlet is not very strong so i dont believe it is cooling as well as it should be, have you guys also notice that?

Mine does the same thing. Judging by your temps and my temps, it's just fine.

Definitely check for kinks. Stuff happens sometimes but it's better to catch it now
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I'm glad you guys got a baseline. Seems dead on the same speed with both of you. Now sharpen the props and let's see what it picks up. I didn't run mine without sharpened props to see but I'm guessing it will be worth your while to do it.

I forgot. Over the past couple days I've been paying attention to the details. I sharpened the rudder better on it and sharpened the bottom of it too. I also noticed my props weren't as sharp as I like. I only spent about ten minutes on them. I smoothed my flexes with 400 grit and then polished with mothers. Using a drill spinning the flex is how I did it. Be careful and you don't need high speed, it will whip on you. It will smack you. Lol

When I first put the boat together (mine is a prototype and needed some changes to get it to production status) I had to move the motor mounts. When I did, it was late at night and I wanted the thing ready for the next day so I sort of rushed it and didn't bend the brass tubes at just the right angle.....so mine eventually melted to Teflon (the motors moved on me in a crash too....my fault there but long story) I'm not sure how much drag that was creating but now it sounds tons smoother and I can tell the motors move easier. Might be worth some speed there. I also chamfered the leading edges of the drive dogs. These little things may or may not help but I'm pretty impressed with the speeds I'm getting.

Arrover, what are doing to yours first?

I'm thinking props like you said and we'll see how that spirals out of control. Know what I mean?! Haha! I'm fairly new to cats so I'm looking forward to learning and tweaking just like I did with my Voracity. I'm not planning any motor/esc changes for right now.

Quote Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
    What you can do is tear drop the opening to the water pick up with a hobby knife a little. Just knock the paint out of the inlet and you will notice a difference. It's not restricting the water flow, judging by your temps, but if you want max flow, you would need to clean out the paint from the inlets.
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

Is Horizon Hobby the only place right now that has the Zelos Available? I want one baaaad!! Amain is the only site I know that accepts different shipping and billing (live outside US)

Quote Originally Posted by Keagan-Z06 View Post
    Is Horizon Hobby the only place right now that has the Zelos Available? I want one baaaad!! Amain is the only site I know that accepts different shipping and billing (live outside US)
    Don't know if Steve ships Internationally.
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=hh-PRB08021
    Rafael Lopez

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez View Post
    Don't know if Steve ships Internationally.
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=hh-PRB08021
    I can have it shipped to the US and then a courier to bring it to Belize. Let me try!

Never mind, order placed. Thanks for making me broke Rafael!

My pleasure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keagan-Z06 View Post
    Never mind, order placed. Thanks for making me broke Rafael!
    Rafael Lopez

Ugh. Tried to go run it yesterday. There was some dark clouds off in the distance. Was actually supposed to rain all day yesterday but still hasn't by the time I got home from work. So I hurry up and pack up to head to the lake. I get there (it's only 1/2 mile down the road so I take a golf cart there) and I'm almost to my spot and all of a sudden the temp drops at least 10-15 degrees and the wind starts whipping like a mini hurricane. I look out on the lake and it was the roughest I've ever seen. Turn around and head back. I thought I wasn't gonna make it back as the wind was blowing so hard it was moving the cart all around. Downed trees and branches on the road now. Crazy how it got like that in the matter of ten or so minutes. It never even rained. I calmed back down after a couple hours. So hopefully I can get out there today. I'm dying to run this thing after the changes I made! Keep you guys posted.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Ugh. Tried to go run it yesterday. There was some dark clouds off in the distance. Was actually supposed to rain all day yesterday but still hasn't by the time I got home from work. So I hurry up and pack up to head to the lake. I get there (it's only 1/2 mile down the road so I take a golf cart there) and I'm almost to my spot and all of a sudden the temp drops at least 10-15 degrees and the wind starts whipping like a mini hurricane. I look out on the lake and it was the roughest I've ever seen. Turn around and head back. I thought I wasn't gonna make it back as the wind was blowing so hard it was moving the cart all around. Downed trees and branches on the road now. Crazy how it got like that in the matter of ten or so minutes. It never even rained. I calmed back down after a couple hours. So hopefully I can get out there today. I'm dying to run this thing after the changes I made! Keep you guys posted.
    Go get em kfx! At least you have a lake nearby, all I have is the open sea and a scary river. I ain't about to go in no dingy to retrieve my Voracity in that there river of mine.

Here is Darin Jordan's second run of the day. Also the second time his boat has touched water. I believe he was running 1815 props with twin Voracity motors on 6s to each ESC. As the day progressed, through tuning he finally got it close to dialed and set the NAMBA T-cat record with a :27.xxx second 2 lap run.
    Here is video. As you can tell by the wheelies he was popping, this early on he was unable to open it up much.
    http://youtu.be/LfFB1pNhNZA

I decided to post this here because the boat is no longer stock, considering he is running Voracity motors. ESCs are stock and not breaking a sweat.
    Rafael Lopez

Here is Darin Jordan's second run of the day. Also the second time his boat has touched water. I believe he was running 1815 props with twin Voracity motors on 6s to each ESC. As the day progressed, through tuning he finally got it close to dialed and set the NAMBA T-cat record with a :27.xxx second 2 lap run.
    Here is video. As you can tell by the wheelies he was popping, this early on he was unable to open it up much.
    http://youtu.be/LfFB1pNhNZA

I decided to post this here because the boat is no longer stock, considering he is running Voracity motors. ESCs are stock and not breaking a sweat.
    What did he hit?

We don't know. Maybe a turtle, maybe a duck swimming under water. He wipes out quite a bit getting his boat dialed in and he didn't get even a single chip. Boat took the beating like a champ.
    Rafael Lopez

Well after all my little mods I was dying to run it all weekend. Yesterday was nasty wet with serious winds. Today was very pretty but winds that were just downright ridiculous. I went to an Easter carnival mid day and the huge blow space walks (not sure what everyone else calls them...the huge inflatable thing kids jump in lol) were getting blown all over the place. Even being staked down. One took off and was stopped by a light pole. I was leaning against it when it flew away lol. Anyway, I still went to the lake with the zelos. Sat around and waited for the water to calm down and it did. Just the wind really didn't. I guess it changed directions and was being blocked somewhat by the trees. I threw her in on 6s. She felt really strong. I couldn't stay in the throttle. Every time I get to full throttle the nose came up and wanted to flip. Finally it did. It landed right side up and I kept going. Then I heard a screeching noise so I brought it in. That what I get for being impatient. Well I was trying to get some run time in before my trip to Minnesota and my painfully long down time I about to face. The motor cocked sideways from the impact. Evidently I can't can't in there and get the dang thing tight enough. Hand won't fit. So I made a tool. I saw something like it on here someone else had made. It's a flex shaft with brass over it with a 2.5mm Allen on the end and a hex on the other to put a ratchet on it. Did a test. I tightened it as tight as I could like normal. Then tried the tool. Whaddaya know....I was able to crank down more on it. Good deal...I feel better now.

Ive been hell bent on seeing what I can get out of it stock but I'm anxious to change props. Next time out will have a set of abc's on it. Check it.....its got some pep to it!

Btw, it went 65 in this video just blipping the throttle like that. I was disappointed earlier but after watching the video and seeing I never was able to get on it, I'll take 65 doing what it was doing lol

Quote Originally Posted by arrover View Post
    Wow. Good day for you both! Let us know how tomorrow goes.
    I ended the event with the NAMBA Q-Cat 2 lap record with a 0:29.37. Darin ended the event with the NAMBA 2 lap T-Cat record with a 0:27.1. This RTR boat now holds a NAMBA 2 lap records.
    Rafael Lopez

I ended the event with the NAMBA Q-Cat 2 lap record with a 0:29.37. Darin ended the event with the NAMBA 2 lap T-Cat record with a 0:27.1. This RTR boat now holds a NAMBA 2 lap records.
    So awesome. Not only does it hold one, but two records. That's gotta sting for some other "rtr guy" that was bragging about having the best rtr out there. Lol

Made a quick trip to the lake. Wind is still kicking and the water wasn't real bad but I did make a new best today. Abc 1814-17-45 props. The temps stayed in check (98f or less) but I was only making speed runs. The 1815's may or may not be too much. This is my last run for a few weeks so you fellas are gonna have to pick up where I left off. Timing was at 0 on this run

Made a quick trip to the lake. Wind is still kicking and the water wasn't real bad but I did make a new best today. Abc 1814-17-45 props. The temps stayed in check (98f or less) but I was only making speed runs. The 1815's may or may not be too much. This is my last run for a few weeks so you fellas are gonna have to pick up where I left off. Timing was at 0 on this run

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post

Nice Travis! How were temps? Yku think there's more room to do a 1915

Thumbs up

Nice and smooth !
    looks good man
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Let me lay this out for you guys. These props do not seem very aggressive but the do drive better and feel/sound smoother. The temps in the esc were non existent. Ambient temp. The highest I recorded was 98f on the motors immediately after pulling the hatch. I was only doing speed runs BUT as you can see the boat was running wet and was very stable. I could raise the strut some and pick up a few more mph easily but in these conditions I didn't want to chance it so I put the struts as negative as they would go as a starting point. It just so happens it made a few nice clean passes in the high winds that I didn't want to press my luck so I packed up with a smile on my face.....knowing it's got 80 in it no problem. That's pretty damn impressive out of a rtr boat with a prop swap. Raphael just told me the temps on the motors would likely be higher with the low timing I had because they like some timing because of the 6 poles, so next time I'll be trying higher timing. I may even try the 1815's I have.

I think 1915's are too much for these motors. Honestly you don't need to. How fast you wanna go? It'll do 80 as it is I'm sure of it. It was neutered because of the high winds.

Page 1 of 81 1231151 ... LastLast