Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something new for safer charging?

Default Something new for safer charging?

Just saw this and it looks interesting. I have a message to the designer to get more info as to how big of batteries you can use in it.

Terry would be interested in your comments?

http://www.bat-safe.com/web/
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Here is the kickstarter for the project. I do not know the guy and have no affiliation with them just am interested in the product

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/228823410/bat-safe
    Last edited by JimClark; 03-04-2016 at 01:00 AM.
    Billy Graham

I just sent them an email. I think it's genius. Best approach I've seen to the problem so far.

I wanted to build one with an extinguishing agent built in but the cost got outrageous really quick. The more I think on it though, all we need is containment. I flamed cells isn't something worth saving so just contain it until it's done.
    Noisy person

If this was available for purchase, I'd be buying one, if it were large enough. The problem with some of the Lipo bags out there is that they are just too small for a race-day.

Great idea.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Don't most of you Balance Charge you cells; even on a race day? Your talking about some seriously long leads to get all of your connections AND have the battery pack/s in the container. However, I DO like this as a long term storage.

Later,
    Ball

I just pledged for one on Kickstarter
    Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    Don't most of you Balance Charge you cells; even on a race day? Your talking about some seriously long leads to get all of your connections AND have the battery pack/s in the container. However, I DO like this as a long term storage.

Later,
    Ball
    I actually never charge without the balancers... well... except for my 1-cell "packs". :)

So.... whats wrong with using an ammo box with drilled holes for charging, etc?

And what does a "protection circuit" do on a lipo? Does any lipo manufacturer even make use of it on their lipos?

How bout this for an answer

https://ksr-video.imgix.net/assets/0..._h264_high.mp4

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    So.... whats wrong with using an ammo box with drilled holes for charging, etc?

And what does a "protection circuit" do on a lipo? Does any lipo manufacturer even make use of it on their lipos?
    Billy Graham

Yea, but thats without holes... which is pressure build up. With a similar amount of holes-- The seal on the ammo box, in my opinion, looks stronger than this BAT box.

But from what I could tell, the BAT box has a way of sheilding the outside from flames (some sort of material covering the holes for pressure on top)... so perhaps covering the drills holes in ammo box with some sort of fire proof material that passes air would probably be ideal.

Get an ammo box and have at it then. Personally I prefer to just buy one that is functional right out of the box and will do a better job than what i could build
    Billy Graham

I do have one, i'm just comparing a DIY solution.

Any ideas how much this thing will be selling for retail?

But yea, looks a bit more complicated than it sounds... here's the design detail: http://www.bat-safe.com/web/?product=bat-safe

$49.00

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    I do have one, i'm just comparing a DIY solution.

Any ideas how much this thing will be selling for retail?

But yea, looks a bit more complicated than it sounds... here's the design detail: http://www.bat-safe.com/web/?product=bat-safe
    Have you ever tried to burn carbon fiber cloth? I have. I haven't been successful in igniting it. It's breathable in its cloth form. Just a thought.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Looks to me like the "Bat-Saf" is much more than just a metal box with holes.

I sent an email as well and asked a couple questions. Very quick response.

Q: What is the size of the box? How many lipo's were tested at once?

A: we have tested the prototype with two 6S 5000mAh packs. On the production BAT-SAFE the flame arrestor will be twice as thick as on the prototype, we think that
    the double amount of lithium battery will be no issue. However, we will proof this through testing.

The internal box is 9.5x6.5x4 inches. The external dimensions are 12x9x7 inches.

Yes it is more. If you look a little closer it's also going to filter out some of the horror that spews forth. Not like clean mountain air. You still don't want to breath that crap but at least you wont be scraping the yuck off everything you own. MSRP looks like it will be in the $50 range. That's not a ton of dough. If you pledge up front for them you can get one for less.

I pledged for three of them. I'll make a station with a charger out of each one.

Lets help this guy get over the top so he can get started. If he doesn't get enough dough we're not charged a thing. Think we have two more weeks.
    Noisy person

the inside dimensions are
    "The internal box is 9.5x6.5x4 inches. The external dimensions are 12x9x7 inches."
    Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Yes it is more. If you look a little closer it's also going to filter out some of the horror that spews forth. Not like clean mountain air. You still don't want to breath that crap but at least you wont be scraping the yuck off everything you own. MSRP looks like it will be in the $50 range. That's not a ton of dough. If you pledge up front for them you can get one for less.

I pledged for three of them. I'll make a station with a charger out of each one.

Lets help this guy get over the top so he can get started. If he doesn't get enough dough we're not charged a thing. Think we have two more weeks.
    I pledged for one.

He made it! Not sure it had anything to do with us but he made it.
    Noisy person

This product has tons of "sales material" all over youtube, etc. to convert potential customers. That's for sure.

Like this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3qGfocIOgM

"Don't want your Mercedes SL 55 along with all your favorite boats/planes/etc going up in flames? THEN BUY BAT SAFE NOW!"

The fact that it takes a crowd funded guy to come up with a safety storage device for lipos is pretty sad given the funding of most hobby shops and manufacturers-- the best they can come up with is a cheap bag that doesn't appear to work.

He made it! Not sure it had anything to do with us but he made it.
    Good deal!
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

glad I ordered one
    Billy Graham

Alright this is happening check out the testing prototype

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...410%2Fbat-safe
    Billy Graham

Any of you guys try it out yet ?

http://www.bat-safe.com/web/product/bat-safe

Mine is in order but haven't got it yet

The first 300 are are on the ship from China. Unfortunately I was backer number 304

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Billy Graham

The first batch shipped on Nov.9 and were projected to take 28 days to get across the pond.

I couldn't figure out what number I was though. I'm in for 3 of them.
    Noisy person

Please post when they arrive, would like to see them more in depth.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Terry if you log onto KickStarter look on the BatSafe campaign page look for a View Pledge button.
    At the bottom of the pledge page it will show your number. But people in front of us could have ordered more than one so the backer number is kind of meaningless.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=user_menu

The first batch shipped on Nov.9 and were projected to take 28 days to get across the pond.

I couldn't figure out what number I was though. I'm in for 3 of them.
    Billy Graham

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast