Thread: How Long Does your 6s Batteries Last?

Default How Long Does your 6s Batteries Last?

Hello All,

For those of you running 6s total power, what is your estimated run time? I just got this boat and would rather it not shut off mid sea or river. I am running dual Dynamite 50C 11.1V 5000mAh packs.

that's is the same lipos I run, I get about 7 to 9 minutes run time.
    MaxAmps has a set of 8000 mah lipos they say will give the Spartan 38 minutes of run time, that sounds impressive for a FE

If you get 7-9 mins on 5000mAh how is another 3000mAh going to get you another 29-31minutes or 4 times the runtime? MaxAmps are full of BS about that, as well as their "true C" ratings.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

7-9 mins sound about right. When do you guys decide it's time to bring it in? Does the boat slow down considerably before the batteries die?

Lvc will kick in and boat will cut power when batteries get to certain voltage. 38 minute run times?!? Anything over a 15 minute run time on a fe boat is probably pushing it. I can get 10-12 minutes on my rivercat on 6s and its pretty warm after that. Im surprised a deep v can go over 30 minutes without turning into a cloud of smoke

How do I know if LVC is enabled? Is it something that occurs automatically? Sorry for the dumb ?s but I have never really ran the boat all out, just short burst and also because I was having receiver issues.

No dumb questions lol. I would assume it is enabled from the factory, but Im not familiar with the dynamite esc's. Your manual should tell you how to change it and how to tell if it is enabled or not

It's impossible to even take a wild guess at run time without setup information. That's like asking how far I can go on a gallon of gas. If I'm driving a Prius..............pretty far. If I'm driving an M1 tank.....about 6 feet.

7 minutes is a really long time for most FE setups.
    Noisy person

Stock Voracity. No changes!

Lipo cells should never be drawn down past 20% remaining. You can go further but you're damaging the batteries when you do. The damage wont be evident at first. Over time though they will start to puff up. Then they start to get dangerous and should be disposed of properly.

We can work backwards pretty easy. 80% of a 5k pack is 4000mah to burn. 7 minutes of run time out of 4k works out to around 34 amps or so. I'm sure someone will chime in if my math is wonky.

Seems unlikely to me that the Voracity pulls 34 amps but I don't have one. Maybe Darin is watching. He knows the Voracity better than most.

Wild guess on my part would be that amperage is in the 70's on a Voracity with a modest prop. 5000's would give you about 3.5 minutes or so before the batteries are being injured. Anything more and you're going to kill the batteries sooner than you otherwise might.

Many use 3volts for the LVC but good batteries will give you 3v right down to 0% in the packs.
    Noisy person

The 150C Dual Core pack offers the highest performance of any lipo battery available in the world. Rather than using one 8000mah cell, we take two 4000mah 150C cells and put them together in parallel. By doing this, the power load is split between two cells(cores) instead of one. Each cell has the thickest and lowest resistance tabs available. Not only do you get two cores, but you get 4 tabs instead of 2. This creates a pack with the lowest possible resistance, the highest voltage under load, and the most rapid voltage recovery of any pack we have ever tested. The ultimate upgrade for your Traxxas Spartan boat. This is for 1 pair of our new 8000 11.1v Dual Core LiPo packs. These packs will make your Traxxas Spartan scream and will work perfectly with no modifications required! There is no better pack than this if you're looking for the ultimate combination of power and run time. If you're looking for an insane amount of power, these are the packs for you! Two Lipo 8000mah - 11.1v packs 55+mph in Spartan(22.2 volts) True 150C rating 32 minutes average run time(8000mah capacity) Lifetime Warranty 5C fast charge capable 100% waterproof Built today with factory fresh cells Built with genuine 12awg Deans Ultra wire We add the connectors and balancing taps for you 137mm x 45mm x 42mm, 600

I don't know what a "dual core" pack is, but I would not even consider it with only 12 ga wire. That's inconsistent with 150C discharge rate. Just does not make sense.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

Wouldn't 150C discharge rate be like 900 amps Lol? I have a hard time believing 12g wire can even handle that much current. I'd say maxamps is blowing smoke up ur a$$

Anybody that reads this that runs FE boats knows that DEANS plugs are for cars and trucks not FE boats that are drawing over 60 amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    that's is the same lipos I run, I get about 7 to 9 minutes run time.
    MaxAmps has a set of 8000 mah lipos they say will give the Spartan 38 minutes of run time, that sounds impressive for a FE
    That's simply not true for real FE racing of this boat
    taking 8000mah packs down to 20% left for a 38min run gives and average amp draw of only 10amps

The 150C Dual Core pack offers the highest performance of any lipo battery available in the world. Rather than using one 8000mah cell, we take two 4000mah 150C cells and put them together in parallel. By doing this, the power load is split between two cells(cores) instead of one. Each cell has the thickest and lowest resistance tabs available. Not only do you get two cores, but you get 4 tabs instead of 2. This creates a pack with the lowest possible resistance, the highest voltage under load, and the most rapid voltage recovery of any pack we have ever tested. The ultimate upgrade for your Traxxas Spartan boat. This is for 1 pair of our new 8000 11.1v Dual Core LiPo packs. These packs will make your Traxxas Spartan scream and will work perfectly with no modifications required! There is no better pack than this if you're looking for the ultimate combination of power and run time. If you're looking for an insane amount of power, these are the packs for you! Two Lipo 8000mah - 11.1v packs 55+mph in Spartan(22.2 volts) True 150C rating 32 minutes average run time(8000mah capacity) Lifetime Warranty 5C fast charge capable 100% waterproof Built today with factory fresh cells Built with genuine 12awg Deans Ultra wire We add the connectors and balancing taps for you 137mm x 45mm x 42mm, 600
    I honestly hope your not talking about the most over rated lipos in the market called maxamps
    we have been doing extensive testing for the past several years and maxamps almost always end up on the bottom of the list..
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767093
    even Jang did a video in the past showing the same results of being very poor
    one of our racers did testing for them and they puffed under real racing conditions

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    If you get 7-9 mins on 5000mAh how is another 3000mAh going to get you another 29-31minutes or 4 times the runtime? MaxAmps are full of BS about that, as well as their "true C" ratings.
    agreed...
    our testing is showing REAL C ratings of good packs to be right around 40C constant

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I don't know what a "dual core" pack is, but I would not even consider it with only 12 ga wire. That's inconsistent with 150C discharge rate. Just does not make sense.
    you are correct because they do not exist
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

This is straight up b.s.

I tested max amps myself and they were the poorest performing batteries I've ever used. Period. If anyone buys their batteries, then they simply got ripped off.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Cool

I believe that most experienced FE boaters know about MaxAmps marketing philosophy and quality by now. But this talk of run time is pretty meaningless for sport boaters. In race boats most of the running is at WOT so it is fairly easy to calculate average amp draw/run time. But sport boaters run differently, often with considerable part throttle running and bursts of acceleration. The Voracity is not a high amp draw race boat. Run times with the same boat will vary depending on the driver and the size of the pond the boat is run on. Claims of 30+ minutes of "run time" are rediculous unless it's for a tug boat.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Does anyone here use a single 6S fitted in the middle of the hull?

Yes.
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Yes.
    Would I need to mod the stock battery tray? Would you recommend 2 over 1? Would it change the SG of the boat ? I would prefer just one because it's easier but if it changes how the boat handles I will go for 2.

Ummmm

i have a leopard 4082 1800 kv, and a esc from OSE 150amp.. i use smc lipo 6s 3600mamp, 2 pack in parallele.. we drive the boat on the St-laurent river.. on a very windy day, a lot of wave.. run time is around 25 minute. and on a flat river.... 6-8 minutes... i turn a octura 646/ 3 blade..
    Last edited by lucdesorel; 07-23-2016 at 10:27 PM.