Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My new zelos 36 twin!

I went ran it as promised. Had some issues that were of my own fault. First thing is the motors rotated in their mounts and twisted downwards and binded against the Teflon liners. Well I thought I tightened them enough but after talking to Raphael I found they must be pretty tight and not just snug. (He also prompted me to check esc calibration....glad I checked it again) That ended my trip quickly because I didn't have an Allen that would get to it good enough. Lesson learned lol. Next, I calibrated the throttles the other night. Seemed to go well but I didn't check for full throttle (not that I think about it I'm pretty sure I did) on both esc's. Under full throttle the light should lite constant green. One wasn't doing it and that same one wasn't starting at the same time as the other. After messing with it for half an hour, trying to calibrate it, I threw the towel in and threw another one in and it calibrated no problem. It even sounded totally different. The motors are now in sync and the right side motor now sings full song like the left one.

I had to deliver another boat today to a customer and he drove down so we could maiden it so I felt like I would have been rude had I concentrated on my stuff more than his. Then after he left (we bs-ed for a while) it was almost dark. I'll hit the lake again tomorrow. I have a feeling this trip will be much better! I can't wait!
    Last edited by kfxguy; 02-28-2016 at 01:39 AM.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Ok. I've been thinking about why that esc could have gone wonky. I remember now that I plugged in the wrong program box to that esc first. My son has a program box that he messed up a while back plugging it into a fried car esc. It somehow made its way into my box. I grabbed it and plugged it in. When I noticed it was acting funny (the program box) I unplugged it and grabbed the correct box. It went through the motions like normal but evidently it threw something off (I'm guessing) to where the throttle calibration no longer works. I've used a few of these esc's (and the black Seaking version) and haven't had an issue. This little snafu won't change my mind about them that they are a excellent little unit.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Do you have a picture of the bottom of the hull, with the water pickups?
    Pete

Motley Crew, Impulse 31, Zonda Cat, Genesis, Aqua Rider tug, E-Revo Brushless, Slash4x4

No, I'll snap one tomorrow and post it in this thread.
    Last edited by Rafael_Lopez; 02-28-2016 at 11:42 PM.
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

The specs. say, 6S rated ESC's, motors (6-pole), but can those 2000kv motors really sustain WOT runs, especially with stock 1.4x1.65 props?
    Pete

Motley Crew, Impulse 31, Zonda Cat, Genesis, Aqua Rider tug, E-Revo Brushless, Slash4x4

I ran for over 4 minutes, non stop before bringing in to check temps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7RNM8sjKtk

The motors have been working just fine, but you have to maintain them. I recommend oiling them after every outing, along with removing, drying, and cleaning the drive cables. We have been running these motors in the 29-inch cats for over a year now on 6s. We find that failure is attributed to lack or motor bearing maintenance. We seem to forget that even though BL motors are "maintenance free" the bearings are not and they need to be periodically maintained and oiled, especially because we are using them where they can get wet.

The issues Travis had are neither related to the ESC or the motor. The boat I sent him was returned to me by Darin Jordan after sending him a production boat. It sounds like the ESC was operating the motor incorrectly, making it sound like there was something wrong with it. Darin didn't report any of these issues to me and it sounds like the defective program card corrupted the ESC's firmware.
    Rafael Lopez

Rafel, Your quick responses to our questions and support is great. I pre-ordered my Zelos 36 several weeks ago and can't wait to get her.

While I do dry and grease my drive-lines after each outing, I am not familiar with how to lube the motor bearings. How do you lubricate the motor bearings?
    Pete

Pete, I will make a short video this coming week and post it in this thread. It's easier to explain it visually.

As for the support, that's what I'm here for . :)
    Rafael Lopez

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez View Post
    I ran for over 4 minutes, non stop before bringing in to check temps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7RNM8sjKtk

The motors have been working just fine, but you have to maintain them. I recommend oiling them after every outing, along with removing, drying, and cleaning the drive cables. We have been running these motors in the 29-inch cats for over a year now on 6s. We find that failure is attributed to lack or motor bearing maintenance. We seem to forget that even though BL motors are "maintenance free" the bearings are not and they need to be periodically maintained and oiled, especially because we are using them where they can get wet.

The issues Travis had are neither related to the ESC or the motor. The boat I sent him was returned to me by Darin Jordan after sending him a production boat. It sounds like the ESC was operating the motor incorrectly, making it sound like there was something wrong with it. Darin didn't report any of these issues to me and it sounds like the defective program card corrupted the ESC's firmware.

After swapping that one esc its fine. I ran it today but the wind was really kicking and that water was extremely rough. I couldn't get on it hard but it was DEFINITELY an improvement from yesterday. I packed up and called it a day. I did end up removing the tray that everything mounts to (really nice feature of this boat) and put the production version one in as the one that was in it was 3D printed.

I'm leaving the boat stock for a while (that's a surprise lol) because I want to see how far I can push it. I really don't think there's anything to worry about running it on 6s. I've seen how these motors are made and the rotor is a nicely made piece and the stator also looks quality. Of course we all know the esc's are stout too.

Quote Originally Posted by petej View Post
    Do you have a picture of the bottom of the hull, with the water pickups?

The sharpest and squarest sponsons I've seen yet.

Good place for water pickups. Thanks.
    Pete

Hey bud how's it goin? how's the paint job comin? What size motors did that zelos come with, just curios? thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaux View Post
    Hey bud how's it goin? how's the paint job comin? What size motors did that zelos come with, just curios? thanks.
    I tried to run it Sunday but the wind and water was way too rough so I flipped it within a few seconds so I packed up and went home. I'll try again Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by Beaux View Post
    What size motors did that zelos come with, just curios? thanks.
    His boat has 2, 36x62mm, 2000kv, 6 pole motors, same as the production boats. Same motors that we've been using for over a year now, in the 29" cats.
    Rafael Lopez

thank you the 29 inch cats like blackjack and ms gieco?

Yes sir! Same motor and the Miss GEICO 29 and Blackjack 29. It has proven to be a work horse, as long as the front bearing is maintained; oiled as regularly as the flex cables are greased.
    Rafael Lopez

I normally regrease the flex after every 1-2 battery packs. At least after every time I run the boat. The bearings really require that much maintenance?

When talking about 2000kv motors on 6s, yes. For our lower KV motors in the Impulse, Voracity and Zelos 48, I'd say you should maintain them after/before every outing. I pull my flex shaft/s after I'm done using my boat for the day, even if I'll be back out tomorrow. Now I'm forced to grease the shaft when I reinstall it and at the same time I can put a drop of oil or two on the front motor bearing.
    Rafael Lopez

Good advice. I'll be sure to do mine.

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I guess it's not really that bad since the motors don't need to be removed. Is there any particular oil/oiler setup that has worked well for you?

sounds like a good motor , thanks Rafael.

I am quite Jealous! Zelos seems to be the big boy the block!

I use one of these filled with some 3 in 1 multi purpose oil works good

http://www.avidrc.com/product/5/acce...cessories.html

Quote Originally Posted by arrover View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation MXkid!
    Sure thing! I had that for my r/c trucks and when I got into boats realized it worked perfect for motor bearings

Looks like expected due date has been pushed back to "late" March. It was "mid" March. Bummer...
    More time to prep for its arrival.

What did you order?

Zelos Twin. The Pro boat web site was updated.

Cool boat. Rafael Lopez is the man if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
    Looks like expected due date has been pushed back to "late" March. It was "mid" March. Bummer...
    More time to prep for its arrival.
    Website is wrong. They'll ship in 1.5 weeks at the latest.
    Rafael Lopez

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast