Thread: DF Vortex 24 info

Default DF Vortex 24 info

About to order one of these hull's from the store here, just looking for a little advice from the experts since I couldn't find any detailed build threads to sift through! No plans for racing, just sport running. I plan on using the recommended speedmaster 21 hydro strut (flat bottom is ideal for hydro's from what I've read?) and speedmaster mini hydro rudder. Little undecided on how to power it and what size prop to turn, hoping someone can point me in the right direction since I literally have zero hydro experience I've never even drove one Lol. All my lipo packs are 2 cell and 3 cell. Thanks in advance!!

Someone can probably move this to the boat building section not sure why I put this here!

Received the hull last night and boy what a beauty can't wait to get started on this thing. Hopefully in the next week I will get a carbon inlay in it, curious if I should lay cloth in the sponsons too?? Also I will likely build a transom support unless anyone thinks it is not needed. Not sure on power yet, I was thinking around 2200kv 36mm motor with a T-120 or T-180 and run two 2s packs in series unless someone has any other suggestions!! I don't have much for props to test with I only have a CNC 42mm 2 blade, a 40mm 3 blade, and a s/b M445

Looking good! I have no experience with this hull, but my PT Stealth (30") used a NEU 1515 1Y, 4s2p w/M445. This was quite a few years ago and I don't recall the exact setup. Looking forward to the build!

(I think you'll get more attention if this is moved to the build section)

Ya Im not sure why I put this here it should probably get moved Lol. Got 2 layers of glass in the hatch and 2 layers in the hull I was going to do carbon but I had a bunch of glass cloth laying around to use.

Quote Originally Posted by jingalls007 View Post
    Looking good! I have no experience with this hull, but my PT Stealth (30") used a NEU 1515 1Y, 4s2p w/M445. This was quite a few years ago and I don't recall the exact setup. Looking forward to the build!

(I think you'll get more attention if this is moved to the build section)
    Thanks its my first hydro so not really sure what I'm doing Lol. Any tips on turn fin mounting and finding COG? Should the fin just be level straight up and down with the boat sitting flat? I was planning on running two 2 cell packs in series I'm not sure how that's written in numbers lol Thanks

Two 2s packs in series is 4s1p. I don't know the cg on this hull unfortunately. It would be best to scrap this thread and start a new build thread. You'll get more views and answers that way.

Anyone have any tips on finding center of gravity? I've never done it before but I understand the concept, just not sure what to set the boat on to balance it. Here is where I was hoping to position things

Post # 21: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...a-force-coming

The above thread is based on the 34" version with the COG at 13.5" from the transom. This equates to 40%. Your version @ 40% would put the COG at 9.6" from the transom.

If you want to follow the suggested COG of 9.6", simply measure and mark both sides of the hull with a pencil, so you can erase it, and balance the hull on the edge of a table. Fit your packs, motor, esc, and running hardware in the hull and balance it on the edge of a table. Your boat should teeter slightly to the heavier bow. Make sure you've got room to adjust the cog with your packs when putting the boat in the water for the first time.

Based on your previous pic, it looks like you've got plenty of room to work with. Just make sure you're at, or around that 40% mark.

Shoot Steve an email about the COG. He might know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jingalls007 View Post
    Post # 21: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...a-force-coming

The above thread is based on the 34" version with the COG at 13.5" from the transom. This equates to 40%. Your version @ 40% would put the COG at 9.6" from the transom.

If you want to follow the suggested COG of 9.6", simply measure and mark both sides of the hull with a pencil, so you can erase it, and balance the hull on the edge of a table. Fit your packs, motor, esc, and running hardware in the hull and balance it on the edge of a table. Your boat should teeter slightly to the heavier bow. Make sure you've got room to adjust the cog with your packs when putting the boat in the water for the first time.

Based on your previous pic, it looks like you've got plenty of room to work with. Just make sure you're at, or around that 40% mark.

Awesome info thanks! I thought I had to balance it on like a piece of steel rod but I will do it on the table

Little update... put 2 more layers of glass down, got the hatch bolts done, turn fin mounted and strut mounted. Getting the motor tacked in and stuffing tube lined up today. Next week ordering rudder/speedo and I will wrap it up and pray for the ice to melt asap

Got the stuffing tube and motor mount in. Ordering esc Friday and hopefully finishing it up next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxkid261 View Post
    Someone can probably move this to the boat building section not sure why I put this here!

Received the hull last night and boy what a beauty can't wait to get started on this thing. Hopefully in the next week I will get a carbon inlay in it, curious if I should lay cloth in the sponsons too?? Also I will likely build a transom support unless anyone thinks it is not needed. Not sure on power yet, I was thinking around 2200kv 36mm motor with a T-120 or T-180 and run two 2s packs in series unless someone has any other suggestions!! I don't have much for props to test with I only have a CNC 42mm 2 blade, a 40mm 3 blade, and a s/b M445

Quote Originally Posted by Mxkid261 View Post
    Got the stuffing tube and motor mount in. Ordering esc Friday and hopefully finishing it up next week.

Looking good! Can't wait to see the progress. I just ordered the vortex 24 and hardware yesterday so I should have my mitts on it by the end of the week!

Thanks. I get married in a month so I wasn't able to order everything at once for this one. I'll either order the ESC late this week or next week sometime, and then it will be ready for the water

Small update, our wedding is in a week so Ive been real busy the past month. I finally ordered a T-180 last night, and finished up the steering. Hopefully this week I will maiden it and get a video.

Finally finished this thing up going to run it tomorrow hopefully after work and Friday. The weather has been crappy here lately

Well I finally ran this thing and got a little video by propping up my cell phone against something, my wife will come with next time to get a better video. This is a straight off the bench run with cog at about 1"-1.25". I love this boat it drives great and handles like its on rails. Ran it on 4s but it is definitely 5-6s capable. Ran 10 min on turnigy 5000mah 2s batts in series they were at 3.78 when I pulled it in. Castle 1420-1800kv, T-180, 42mm cnc prop

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VfIig04w1Ac

Good job and nice work!
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Good job and nice work!
    Thanks!! This boat flies and is an absolute blast to drive, going to see how it runs after work today on 3s with a 3 blade

2 blade prop works better drove kind of funky with the 3 blade. Tried one 3s battery but it wouldnt even plane out, 6s its a rocket. If i wanted to set this up for a 2s and 3s parallel setup what would be a good size motor/kv? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Good job and nice work!
    Any thoughts on a motor/kv rating if I wanted to set this up for 2s/3s parallel? Id like some longer run times but not sacrifice speed!

Here is a better video my buddy took on his pond, this boat rips I love it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D_F0iLlzUEE

Quick little update I put a Gforce 3674 2200kv in this thing and it flies. Really impressed by this $36 motor, I'll post a new video in the next few days. Its a D wind so Im running 0* timing on my T-180. Boat really likes an m445. Its easily my favorite to drive

Nice build.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Nice build.
    Thanks I love this one