Thread: Miss Geico 3V, Some good, some not so good,

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Miss Geico 3V, Some good, some not so good,

But good reading none the less :)

So, I’m pretty new to rc boats, but decided to jump in head first. Been in and out of the rc hobby for years, I left off last right when Lipos took off. So, trying to learn all I can about lipos and the new electronics as well.

Anyway…
    Jan 15th, I bought a new Geico 3v. So far I love the boat! Fun and fast! Per the Horizon website I’ve been running 6s, 5000, 50c.

So, after 2 weeks and about 4-5 runs, I was running the boat and it loses power. Not talking about battery saver, it basically died. Luckily, right in from of me. I pick it up, walk into my house, take the lid off and a plume of tan colored smoke… Poof!!! And smelled kinda bad!! Ugh.. wtf…

Sunday, nearly 6pm I figured I’d try to call Horizon, maybe leave a message. Nope, I get a real live person on the phone!! Within a 10 min conversation, he is sending me a brand new ESC AND MOTOR!!! I have never had such good Customer Service in my life!!! Horizon, you have earned my business!

So, the parts come, I figured it was the ESC, so, I replace that first… fresh batteries, and Nope. Chug chug chug… It was the motor that fried. I did take temps after it burnt up, but it was a few min. later. Motor was around 215-220, so, again, probably much hotter a few min earlier. ESC, 120.

My lake is very clean, I would be surprised if the cooling got clogged, but anything is possible.

I’d like to add better cooling, but I cant seem to find a clean way to do it?

So now I’m kind of hesitant to run 6s. Can you run 5s? a 3s and a 2s? Or would you just continue to run the 6s?

One other thing, on the run that burnt up the motor, I had just bought a new prop, Octura 642, prepped from Dasboata. I cant imagine that could have caused the motor to blow?

Anyway, I’m digging this site, lots of good reading! Thanks.
    Last edited by Mitch S; 02-09-2016 at 08:20 PM.