Thread: Pursuit FE leaking

Default Pursuit FE leaking

Need some help please... I have the Kinetic version of the Pursuit and it keeps getting water inside the hull during the run. I fixed a leak I had with the cooling jacket, pressure tested it and it's good now. After a 10 min run, I'm getting about a cup or so of water inside. The top is sealed well too. Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks!

I would make sure that your flex shaft is well greased because water could be entering through the stuffing tube. I am unfamiliar with the Pursuit mono so I cannot tell you whether or not its beneath the water line but be sure to check. I would also check your antenna tube and steering linkage boot. Water can seep in if those aren't on tightly and coated with silicone grease. Even though you have pressure tested the system I would make sure that all of your connections are zip tied. That is where the majority of my leakages originated. Make sure that all of the bolts holding in the hardware are properly coated in silicon. An old fashioned bath tub test would be great to check this. I would also visually check the hull for cracks or imperfections in the hull that could allow for water leakage. Hope this helps!
    37" Fightercat Shocker powered by Neu 1530 on 10S

Fill your bath tub and set it in there :)

Thanks for all the info. When you say the bath tub test, what exactly do you mean? I have set the boat in the tub for hours, and didn't get a drop of water. It seems like I only get water when it's running. The only thing I can think of is the flex shaft. I have never re-greased it, so that may be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Badfish67 View Post
    Thanks for all the info. When you say the bath tub test, what exactly do you mean? I have set the boat in the tub for hours, and didn't get a drop of water. It seems like I only get water when it's running. The only thing I can think of is the flex shaft. I have never re-greased it, so that may be it.
    Yes. Definitely regrease it. The grease repeals water and in theory should prevent water from entering your boat.
    37" Fightercat Shocker powered by Neu 1530 on 10S

Your flex should be cleaned and greased after every run IMO. If you don't get water in the hull by it sitting in a tub, it's either one of your water line fittings or it's coming up the drive tube
    Michigan Fast Electric SAW Club

Common problem been discussed many times on the Pursuit, the gap between the stinger & the transom need sealing. The open front of the stinger scoops water & pushes it up the stuffing tube, Kintec does sell some rubber seals for this very problem but its easy to seal your self.

I have already sealed the stinger/hull gap with silicone. I'll clean and grease the flex shaft today and then report back. Thank you all for the help.

Fitting a short piece of silicon water tube to the coupling end of the stuffing tube prevents any water that has entered the stuffing tube from making it into the boat.

Thanks Martin...I already had that installed. I'm hoping its coming in through the shaft. Boats all ready to test, but the weather is not cooperating today.

Have you checked that none of the hardware screw holes on the transom are leaking also check the rubber bellows arnt leaking where the come out of the fibre glass. Had many boats leak in these areas that were not sealed, most rtr boats do not get sealed at the factory.

Could be your cooling system, sitting in a bathtub won't cause a leak there, as you know, when any boat is running there is pressure in the cooling system that will find a leak, sometimes a cracked silicon tube or the seal on the motor cooler. Try and block the water outlet with your finger and remove the silicon tube from the water pickup and blow hard into it...hear anything? I've had a lot of leaks that were from poorly sealed motor can coolers even when greased.

Good luck!

Also carefully inspect your cooling lines for possible small nicks that may open up under pressure when running.
    Don't ask me how I know

If you have replaced the stock shaft with a single piece flex shaft I would advise replacing the teflon tube with a new longer piece as the one that comes stock with the two piece shaft is too short to reach the end of the inside of the stinger barrel once a single piece shaft is installed.

The other thing I did is to put a small piece of surgical tape around the end of the brass stuffing tube where the teflon tube exits.

I have been having a similar problem. A pressure test on the cooling line last night showed up a leak on the end of the esc cooling jacket. I am running a T-180 that I modified the cooling plate and it had sprung a leak. Simple repair.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Thanks for everyone's help. Between the cooling jacket and greasing the flex shaft my leak is gone. How often should I be greasing the flex shaft?

Before every run and clean and grease at end of the day.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Just a note, you could develop another leak further down the line.

One area that tends to leak on the Pursuit is the plastic ring that holds the push-rod boot. It is held in place by just some epoxy, and over time, it has gotten loose enough to allow water to get past it.

Make sure to inspect this ring. Even though it may seems to be tight, it could still have a gap that water is getting past. I fixed it by removing the rudder mount, pulling off the boot, removing the ring, and reinstalling with more epoxy to make sure its water tight.