Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW Pro Boat RECOIL 26" Self-Righting!!

Default NEW Pro Boat RECOIL 26" Self-Righting!!

Not to be overlooked...

Recoil 26-inch Self-Righting Deep-V BL:RTR

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...rodId=PRB08022

01.jpg

Features

Capable of reaching speeds of 30+ mph
    Self-righting hull system keeps you from going belly-up
    Water-cooled 2100Kv brushless motor and 60-AMP Dynamite® ESC
    11.1V 3200mAh 3S LiPo and LiPo balance charger included
    Includes Pro Boat® 2.4Ghz marine radio system
    Waterproof electronics
    Injection molded radio tray
    Aluminum rudder with stainless trim tabs
    Stainless steel hardware
    Flex shaft with Teflon liner
    Composite molded 2 blade propeller

Specifications

Length:
    26 in (660.4mm)
    Beam:
    7.9 in (200mm)
    Motor Size:
    2100Kv 14-Pole Brushless Outrunner Marine Motor, 33mm X 42mm
    Weight:
    3 LB (1.4 KG)
    Speed:
    30+ MPH
    Radio:
    2.4GHz 2-Channel Surface Transmiter
    Speed Control:
    60A BL Marine ESC 2-3S
    Hull Material:
    Blow Mold ABS
    Trim Scheme Colors:
    Yellow/Orange
    Prop Size:
    1.34 x 2.06
    Hull Type:
    Self-Righting Deep-V
    Battery:
    11.1V 3200mAh 3S 30C LiPo
    Kit/RTR:
    RTR
    Drive System:
    Flex Shaft
    Is Assembly Required:
    No
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Some behind the scenes bashing video. Max speed, in stock trim, at the end of the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI1h...ature=youtu.be
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

I know there isn't as much excitement about this boat as the Twin, but it's a real fun "basher" boat. I'm actually going to the beach with it this weekend to launch it off, and surf the waves. I'll make sure to post a video.
    Rafael Lopez

The Recoil 26 is a very versatile boat.#HowDoYouLaunchYourBoat
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoB8cax-jF0

And some rough water/beach fun.
    https://youtu.be/OC5jE5LVVMM
    Rafael Lopez

Any update on when it will be available? I am looking forward to buying one. I have a Joysway Offshore Infinity and it is a blast but it's trashed and I need a replacement self righting boat.

The boat is still on schedule to start shipping the second week of March.

If anything changes well update the first post.
    Rafael Lopez

Got mine. Love it. It is very stable! Wish I would get more run time. Also want to know if the motor can be changed seeing as the boat has a 60amp ESC. If it can would it handle a 4S? Hope some people put comments here and upgrades done.

I've had mine for nearly a month now as well. Having some transmitter issues, but it will be fine.
    I'm really enjoying the boat. I took the weighted coupler out and running 3s, 5000mah and its fun, with some good run times. Self righting feature works like a charm.

That being said, I'd be interested in some upgrades as well, looking for some larger trim tabs and fins

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch S View Post
    I've had mine for nearly a month now as well. Having some transmitter issues, but it will be fine.
    I'm really enjoying the boat. I took the weighted coupler out and running 3s, 5000mah and its fun, with some good run times. Self righting feature works like a charm.

That being said, I'd be interested in some upgrades as well, looking for some larger trim tabs and fins
    Are you saying that the self-righting works WITHOUT the weighted coupler?? Stock motor still??

Curious, because I have done a pretty CRAZY upgrade experiment with my Recoil, having never actually driven it stock, and am about to test it today. I replaced the motor and ESC (well, all the electronics, actually) with a system suited for NAMBA N2-Offshore (2S Lipo, 3500-ish KV motor, etc.), but I retained the weighted coupler.

Would be interested to know more about your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    [B]Are you saying that the self-righting works WITHOUT the weighted coupler?? Stock motor still??[\B]

Curious, because I have done a pretty CRAZY upgrade experiment with my Recoil, having never actually driven it stock, and am about to test it today. I replaced the motor and ESC (well, all the electronics, actually) with a system suited for NAMBA N2-Offshore (2S Lipo, 3500-ish KV motor, etc.), but I retained the weighted coupler.

Would be interested to know more about your setup.
    Darin, he says he removed the coupler and is using a full size pack with the stock motor. It will not self-right with a full size pack and an inrunner.

The stock electronics, both ESC and motor, will not work with voltage higher than 3s. The ESC will not arm and if you install a different ESC the motor will literally burn up. There is a bit of room to prop up, but I'd stay away from props larger than 43-44mm with pitch greater than 1.6. This isn't a performance boat so I didn't do much prop testing. What I can tell you is that the ESC is more than enough for the stock motor with the stock prop, 1.6x1.6. The largest prop I tested with was an x442 and it ran well with no issues, but no major speed gains. If you over prop, the ESC will amp out before it burns up, or at least that's what is is programmed to do. The hulls speed limit is +/- 40mph. Any more than that and the boat will chime walk due to too much hull out of the water and the trim tabs being to far out of the water. One would have to install another set of tabs closer to the keel to try and settle it down, and probably larger turn fins. I got one over 40mph with a 2000kv inrunner and a 90A ESC on 4s, but didn't like the way it drove; I never added trim tabs lower to the keel.
    Rafael Lopez

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez View Post
    Darin, he says he removed the coupler and is using a full size pack with the stock motor. It will not self-right with a full size pack and an inrunner.
    Awww... got it. I'll have to see if it'll self-right with this setup:

20160330_201804.jpg

I could not get it to self right with a 2000kv motor on 3s with the weighted coupler. Even with a 5000mah pack.
    Rafael Lopez

I could not get it to self right with a 2000kv motor on 3s with the weighted coupler. Even with a 5000mah pack.
    This is a 3500KV motor... :) We'll see... That's why we test.

It won't be the end of the world for my purposes if it won't self-right... it WILL be if it SELF-FLIPS, though...

You've got Raphaels reply, but I'll give you mine any way.

I run the stock battery and a larger 5200mah. I've been able to have it self right with both batteries without the coupler, However, it does take more effort with the smaller pack.

idk, for me, the boat is fast enough to have fun with. I really have no desire to go faster with it. I do, however, want to find larger trim tabs and fins. Maybe it wont spin as easy, If anyone has a suggestion on tabs and fins, please let me know.

FYI, the stock motor runs to about 125 degrees on mine. Anyone else have any temp readings??

If anyone has a suggestion on tabs and fins, please let me know.
    Second set of stock trim-tabs, with the fins cut off... I think these turn-fins are from an IM31... But with different brackets...

20160330_202559.jpg 20160330_201757.jpg

Hasn't been tested AT ALL yet... I'm going to do that in about... well... about 1 hour from now. :)

Default Receiver

Be VERY careful with the receiver issues. I had the same problems. Almost lost it. HH had to send me a replacement but I don't trust it now since you have the same issues as I did. I have had the issues from the first day. Have not had to use the self righting feature yet. LOL Does the 5000mah battery make it lean to the left? What kind of run times are you getting with the 5000mah pack?

In enclosing, the distance I had problems with was under 100 feet. I put an on-road receiver from Spektrum and ran it with my Spektrum DX3S. Seemed okay. I didn't push the distance.
    Last edited by rcdrivertim; 03-31-2016 at 06:31 PM.

Radio range with the Pro Boat radio system is only 150-200 feet, less if the antenna is facing away from you.
    Rafael Lopez

I too have a new receiver on its way. Yes, it happened from the first battery.
    HH has been great! A new one is on the way.

I just ran a 5200mah battery, It was a little choppy in my lake, and I flipped like 4 times :) No issue what so ever, Just stab the throttle, and flips right back over! Yes, it does lean to the left. It makes the handling very odd. It carves a nice turn when turning right. Turn sharp left, and it nose dives, water goes over the top. You must tape the lid.

I"ll say it again, great boat, fast, fun, a hoot to drive.

Default Receiver

Radio range with the Pro Boat radio system is only 150-200 feet, less if the antenna is facing away from you.

I am VERY surprised the boat only has a range of 150 to 200 feet. With the speed it has it will pass that range quickly. Most smaller ponds are bigger than 200 feet. Also, I just remember I had range issues UNDER 150 feet. Rafael, will a car receiver work on this boat? It will be inside of a balloon to protect it from water. The antennae is not long enough to come through regular tube. The ABS hull should not interfere with the range, correct?

Honestly, if you are going to run RC Boats, I'd opt for an upgraded radio system and just plan on running that in all your boats. You can get a VERY reasonably priced mulit-Model Spektrum TX for about $100.00, with 20-Model Memory and compatible with the latest Spektrum waterproof RXs (SR210, SR310, etc.)...

Then you don't have to worry about some of these lower end supplied TXs. Those get you running, but everyone ALWAYS wants/expects more than these provide. :)

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodId=SPM4200W

Also, RXs for boats with these TXs are inexpensive. Here is the SR210... 2-CH, waterproof, etc... $29.99....

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPMSR210

Using the stock radio for boats is nothing new. We've been doing this for over a year know with the Blackjack 24 and Shockwave 26, with no complaints other than a bad RX/Tx here or there; nothing abnormal. A DX2e with a 310Rx is $60 if you want more range. "Car" receivers will work in any application. The only materials that hinder the performance of 2.4 are tightly woven composites like Carbon or Kevlar. Keep in mind that water deflects 2.4 radio waves so if the antenna is to low in the hull, range will suffer.
    Rafael Lopez

Rafael, I understand what you are saying. The antenna isn't very long at all. I would say 3 to 4". This the older receiver from my DX3S. I like the radio very much. What do you think the range would be using this set up? Also since the antenna on the receiver I got with my DX3S is just a bit above the receiver would be okay to get more than 200 feet?

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Honestly, if you are going to run RC Boats, I'd opt for an upgraded radio system and just plan on running that in all your boats. You can get a VERY reasonably priced mulit-Model Spektrum TX for about $100.00, with 20-Model Memory and compatible with the latest Spektrum waterproof RXs (SR210, SR310, etc.)...

Then you don't have to worry about some of these lower end supplied TXs. Those get you running, but everyone ALWAYS wants/expects more than these provide. :)

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodId=SPM4200W

Darin, I would hate to buy another surface radio when I have the DX3S which cost me over $200.00

Quote Originally Posted by rcdrivertim View Post
    Darin, I would hate to buy another surface radio when I have the DX3S which cost me over $200.00
    Obviously, but you didn't mention that, did you??

Was just trying to help.

I don't understand Darin. I know everyone is here to help and I appreciate it. I wasn't implying anything else. I meant no disrespect. Most people would not want to spend the money on another radio in an RTR that is $300.00. Proboat should realized that or at least listed that in their advertising. I would have returned mine or just not ordered it. Don't get me wrong, I like the boat very much. I think they should have offered an ARR. I would not have bought the boat knowing the lack of distance in the radio. Since I have driven it I doubt I can exchange it for a better model.

Again, I meant no offense.

Again, I meant no offense.
    No worries...

Having the DX3S available, you have several RX options that will work. Is this a recent DX3S, or have you had it awhile? I ask, because it makes a difference on what RXs will work well with it.

If it's OLDER, then you can always find some 2nd hand MR200s and you'll never have range concerns again. If it's newer, then the RX I posted above will work well.

I think the reason Pro Boat can't/doesn't provide ARR any longer is that it's simply one more stocking item. It's less expensive and more practical for them to offer these as RTR. And, it likely gets more people involved.

Never ideal situations, but with RTR stuff, there are always production compromises somewhere.

Hey Darin.

I understand everything you said. It does make sense about one more item to stock. By the way my DX3S is the older one. I will look for a MR200. I have a 4 channel in there now with the shorter antennae. It cannot go up into the antennae tube though. Do you think that will be a problem?

Hey Darin.

I understand everything you said. It does make sense about one more item to stock. By the way my DX3S is the older one. I will look for a MR200. I have a 4 channel in there now with the shorter antennae. It cannot go up into the antennae tube though. Do you think that will be a problem?
    Shouldn't be, but radios are finicky. If you get the antenna as high in the hull as you can, you should be fine at reasonable ranges. I used to velocro my RXs upside down under the upper side of the hull to get the antennas out all the way. Keeps water out mostly too. :)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast