Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW Pro Boat "ZELOS 36" Twin Cat

i think i"am going to get the 36" ZELOS, with 2 35c 6400mah 11.1v lipos, how long do think on running time???? one thing i really like, is they put 4 hatch locks
    on the boat,you doint see that very often!!!!!!

thanks,steve p.

Hey Steve,

It's hard to say. It really depends on your driving style and the true rating of your packs. I've seen 5000mAh packs take back 55-5700mAh with th cut off lowered to 3v/cell. Our ESCs leave the packs at around 3.7v/ cell after cut off; set at 3.2v/ cell. Full throttle runs, maybe 4-4.5 minutes. Moderating throttle, 6-7 minutes, maybe more.
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

I am new to boating
    for a guy just bashing around the lake with mild chop, would you expect the 36 inch cat or the 36 inch deep v to handle the waves better?
    thanks, Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    I am new to boating
    for a guy just bashing around the lake with mild chop, would you expect the 36 inch cat or the 36 inch deep v to handle the waves better?
    thanks, Dan
    Dan, as a matter of fact, I was planning on mentioning that. I've found sport boating much more enjoyable with these larger boats
    They are able to be run in "normal" water conditions, as opposed to having to wait for things to calm down.

Great size, in my experience.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

thanks Darin
    which style hull would you expect to handle better in normal conditions bashing around ....?

Crash, a cat will mostly never handle like a V in similar conditions, since the V is cutting through the water and has turn fins which help is pivot through turns. The V will mostly always feel like it is on rails. Our cats though, tend to drift around corners because of their wide beam, which means that you can push them harder than you could a "scale" cat with angled pads. The flat bottom of the pads also allows them to lose a bit of traction through the corners to break the rear end loose, again, allowing you to push the boat harder through the corners with less fear of flipping it. As far as general bashing, I feel about 6" chop will be both boat's limits. You can possibly get away with running in rougher conditions if you run length wise, etween the waves, rather than against/over them with mostly any boat.

A V will seem/look to be faster than a cat will, with the equivalent power system. I don't know why, but that is the way it seems to me. But the fact is that a cat will always be faster with the same power system of a V. For example, If we would have made this a single drive boat, and just thrown the motor from the Voracity, it would have easily been 5-10 mph faster than the Voracity, out of the boat. The load on the ESC would have typically been less as well. This is because the V is cutting through the water and the cat is skimming over it.
    Last edited by Rafael_Lopez; 01-31-2016 at 05:01 PM.
    Rafael Lopez

Excellent explanation Rafael.

Rafael,
    6' chop is for the real boats, I think you meant 6" chop. These new boats look great, and clearly fill a void. Will the 36" cat be offered in a single motor version ?

Cheers, Jay.

Jay, thanks for catching that typo. 6" is correct.

As for a single 36 cat, I can definitely say no right now. It would be a direct competitor to the twin, which doesn't make sense for us to do.

As a side project, I will be converting 1 of my twins to a single drive, just to see how it handles. I'll be powering it with the Voracity motor.
    Rafael Lopez

Hi Rafael,

Whether you sell a twin or a single motor cat you are selling all the cats in this size seems to be a win win for you. Aq is selling zero, don't want to let them creep in. Stay ahead of the curve.
    Just my .02 cents.
    let me know how the conversion works out.

Cheers, Jay.

Hey guys, here is a comparison of the twin in between the other 2 latest released from PRB. Hope this gives you all an idea for size.
    Rafael Lopez

I love the bow notch shape and the stripes on the inside of the tunnel on the twin. You did a good job on the manual too. It looks like a lot of thought went into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez View Post
    Hey guys, here is a comparison of the twin in between the other 2 latest released from PRB. Hope this gives you all an idea for size.
    Very useful. Thanks.
    Revolt 30, River Jet, Southampton Tug, Outcast 6S BLX, 8ight-E, Ten-SCBE, 22 2.0.
    '09 Miata.
    Ibanez basses and guitars. Mapex drums, Zildjian cymbals.

Sorry your job stinks Rafael.......

Quote Originally Posted by pistol18 View Post
    Sorry your job stinks Rafael.......

Tell me about it! I'm running out of places to store all these darn boats.
    Rafael Lopez

oh your pain.....

I may need a fake email from you congratulating me on becoming your "East Coast Product Tester" and that you will be sending me different boats throughout the year, some that I can keep(most actually) and others that I need to return once testing is complete. That will help keep the better half from asking why all these boats keep showing up.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by pistol18 View Post
    oh your pain.....

I may need a fake email from you congratulating me on becoming your "East Coast Product Tester" and that you will be sending me different boats throughout the year, some that I can keep(most actually) and others that I need to return once testing is complete. That will help keep the better half from asking why all these boats keep showing up.

Thanks in advance!
    Hahaha! Absolutely genius!!
    Rafael Lopez

Members of my boat club take a whack at the Zelos 36 Twin.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgYcXts93XU
    Rafael Lopez

I sub !

I see they are taking pre-orders. When will it be available? Thanks, Yellow.

We ar not producing white boats for sale. It's in the picture because it's my very first sample and I wanted to post a progression picture.

The boats are scheduled to arrive the second week of March.
    Last edited by Rafael_Lopez; 02-09-2016 at 06:03 PM.
    Rafael Lopez

Hey guys,

I was one of the fortunate people that got to test this boat when Rafael brought it out to the lake. Its nothing short of incredible. It handles and runs like a dream. You really can't ask for a better "all around" boat. We were all SUPER impressed. Its bullet proof, FAST, and handles like a dream. Congrats to Rafael and Horizon Hobby for an amazing product!
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez View Post
    Members of my boat club take a whack at the Zelos 36 Twin.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgYcXts93XU
    very impressive.just wondering if temps were checked after running it that hard.

I'll let someone who was there and drove it answer that. I think it will mean more than if I do.
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=36
    Rafael Lopez

Quote Originally Posted by bigcam406 View Post
    very impressive.just wondering if temps were checked after running it that hard.
    Great question. Since I was one of the fortunate people that ran it, I will answer. Yes! The temps were checked.

On a very hot day (mid 80s) the temps were as follows on a very hard full run!

Motors 60-75 degrees (varied on each run) Basically warm (FAR FROM HOT)
    Speed controls 60-70 degrees (also varied mildly on each run) (FAR FROM HOT)
    Battery packs were 108-110 degrees (VERY mild variation on each run) (Warm, but definitely nothing out of the ordinary) 35C batteries were used.

Hope that helps!
    Ray

I have to say, it's wonderful to have people drive these products before they hit the market. It's one thing if I answer questions, but I feel it's completely different to hear people's perspectives of their experience with the product. Neither Ray or anyone else that shares their experience are testers or have anything to gain from sharing their experience. I wish I had the budget to travel to every boat club and let more people drive products before it releases. Feedback like this is invaluable.

Temps remain low because each side is only pulling between 40-45 amps, continously, at a moderate 7.5* of timing. I do not recommend raising the timing over 15*, but that is always an option, if one feels the need to take advantage of the stock system as long as the batteries can keep up.
    Rafael Lopez

Excellent video Rafael
    That looks fun and fast

Quote Originally Posted by Vortech C5 View Post
    Great question. Since I was one of the fortunate people that ran it, I will answer. Yes! The temps were checked.

On a very hot day (mid 80s) the temps were as follows on a very hard full run!

Motors 60-75 degrees (varied on each run) Basically warm (FAR FROM HOT)
    Speed controls 60-70 degrees (also varied mildly on each run) (FAR FROM HOT)
    Battery packs were 108-110 degrees (VERY mild variation on each run) (Warm, but definitely nothing out of the ordinary) 35C batteries were used.

Hope that helps!
    Ray
    thanks for the response.i watched that video numerous times and wondered,since you were shooting it in CAL,i figured it would be warm.was wondering what is the recommended discharge rate for lipos to be used in the Zelos? ps.thats a lovely place to run your boats.

Rafael, My LHS has 2 of them ordered, and I get the first 1. I also would like to know what discharge rate you recommend? I plan on running Two 6a batteries. with at least 5000mah.
    Is their any flotation in the sponson's, or on the hatch?
    I have a feeling that my modded Spartan is not going to get much water time this spring.

eNice job,this boat gets my attention!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast