Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: NEW Pro Boat "ZELOS 36" Twin Cat

Thanks MG1234, useful info there! Yes it's twin motor version. What I have read best balance is achieved with 4 lipo packs. But I will keep looking the forum, here's a lot of reading to do.

I guess there's not much hardware which could break easily. Ofcourse crashes are different thing.. Im just more familiar with RC cars, you are more often behind the screwdriver than the controller. Pretty wierd that the electronics aren't protected these days in rtr boats.

Gonna order the boat today and maybe some hardware for the drive system. Will think the lipo config a bit more.

Keep the boat dry,you will need a multi port charger,good marine grease for the flex drive ,the zelos tends to stay dry,
    Take it EZ first couple of runs ,these boats don’t stop real fast ,have a retrieval system ready Incase you go upside down ,like a life jacket if your swimming ,or a rescue boat system,I just keep a water ski jacket right by me for close rescues,just think about it and be safe,

Thanks for the tips. Quad charger is on my list. I have good collection of greases both silicone and regular grease, does it have to be marine grease?
    Im gonna go for my vacation place where I have basic rowing bout if something goes south and usually it does. When I had my first RC boat (gas powered) roughly over 15 years ago, It lost radio control after half tank. There was quite a rowing to do to get it back, weather was so calm it kept on going straight line 3-4 miles when the fuel run out. Luckily it didn't hit any isle which there are alot. But I think nowadays that shouldn't be issue as the electrics has come smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyle View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Quad charger is on my list. I have good collection of greases both silicone and regular grease, does it have to be marine grease?
    Im gonna go for my vacation place where I have basic rowing bout if something goes south and usually it does. When I had my first RC boat (gas powered) roughly over 15 years ago, It lost radio control after half tank. There was quite a rowing to do to get it back, weather was so calm it kept on going straight line 3-4 miles when the fuel run out. Luckily it didn't hit any isle which there are alot. But I think nowadays that shouldn't be issue as the electrics has come smarter.
    You shouldn't have that issue happen again. I always make it a point to test the failsafe system before dropping the boat in the water. Turn everything on, give it part throttle, then shut the radio off. The receiver and esc should shut down the motor and put the rudder straight.

Yes, will test that definitely, thanks!

I am thinking about buying a new cat and wondered how well this one Corners with power? Most of the vids I see are straight line so I am thinking that this boat doesn't do to well running fast in the turns?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Team Liquid Dash

Old thread, but a new Zelos owner. After having build a fast mono, I needed to try a cat. ANyhow - got a "like new" used Zelos currently all parts are out and I will be reinforcing the hull first. My questions are: has anyone tried the OSE rudder with the dual water intakes instead of the bottom hull intakes? I was wondering if the rudder will provide enough cooling.
    Second question is I want to replace the stuffing liner. The stock liners look like hard plastic. I have teflon liners that fit but seem ever so slightly smaller in outside diameter compared to the stock ones. Have you used a replacement liners and if so, what size?
    Thanks
    Nick

The liners needed are a metric OD, I forget the size offhand. I bought a bulk length of PTFE on eBay to fit several years ago. Stock liners are fine, in my opinion, and I'd be more worried about the poor welds between the flex and stub shaft on the stock cables, or overly severe bends in the stock brass stuffing tubes.

The through hull pick-ups work fine, no need for a pick-up rudder in my experience. Clear out the paint around the opening of the pick-ups, drill them out with a slightly oversized drill bit to increase the inner diameter a bit, and file a tear-drop into the hull, just in front of the pick-up to improve water flow. The stock plumbing on the ESC's is also a little restrictive. Copy pictures of how the newer Miss Geico Twin ESC's are plumbed, using small pieces of tube to connect the fittings between the two ESC's in a parallel fashion. Rotate your motor water jackets so that the forward water barb is as close to the 12:00 position as possible, which fills the jacket with more water. I switched out the lower barbs with 90* fittings to solve clearance issues, allowing more rotation.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I still run one of the first Zelos 36 Twin cats, all stock. Original motors, ESC, rudder, etc. 100's of runs on 6S, countless high-speed crashes. The hull is perfect. Water inlets on the bottom of hull work great. One of the first things I did was remove the teflon liners. My honest opinion: Leave the hull alone, the stock rudder is awesome.
    Pete

Motley Crew, Impulse 31, Zonda Cat, Genesis, Aqua Rider tug, E-Revo Brushless, Slash4x4

Somehow when I put my boats up for the winter months I managed to lose the prop nuts for my Zelos 36. Does anyone remember what size they are...mm??? I would like to find some that are nyloc.
    Team Liquid Dash

Quote Originally Posted by Raydee View Post
    Somehow when I put my boats up for the winter months I managed to lose the prop nuts for my Zelos 36. Does anyone remember what size they are...mm??? I would like to find some that are nyloc.
    3/16", 10-32.
    Pete

Motley Crew, Impulse 31, Zonda Cat, Genesis, Aqua Rider tug, E-Revo Brushless, Slash4x4

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213