Default NEW Pro Boat "ZELOS 36" Twin Cat

Rafael and Pro Boat have done it again!

New ZELOS 36 TWIN-CAT...

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...rodId=PRB08021

glam.jpg

Features

Powerful Twin, 36mm x 62mm counter-rotating brushless 6-Pole, 2000Kv motors
    Two 120-AMP (6S LiPo compatible) Brushless Water-cooled ESCs
    Capable of reaching speeds in excess of 60 MPH with recommended 6S LiPo batteries
    Precision catamaran hull
    Fiberglass canopy
    Stainless steel propellers
    Spektrum™ DX2E Transmitter
    Waterproof electronics
    Boat stand included

Specifications

Length:
    36" (914.4mm)
    Beam:
    11.75" (298.4mm)
    Motor Size:
    36.68mm, 6 Pole, 2000KV
    Weight:
    9.65 lb (4.4 kg)
    Speed:
    60+
    Radio:
    Spektrum DX2E
    Speed Control:
    2 Dynamite 120A, 2S-6S
    Hull Material:
    Fiberglass
    Trim Scheme Colors:
    Yellow and Black
    Prop Size:
    2 Counter rotating 1.4x1.65
    Hull Type:
    Catamaran

Most SOLID hull Pro Boat has ever produced. THIS one is TOUGH!!
    Last edited by Darin Jordan; 01-27-2016 at 12:38 PM.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

NOTE: I think they have the specs wrong, however...

Powerful Twin, 56mm x 87mm counter-rotating brushless 6-Pole, 2000Kv motors

Unless something has changed, the motors are "36x60mm", 2000-KV...

YES! I am so excited! Just ordered it. First twin and first cat for me. That is excellent to hear that the hull is so beefy.

Quote Originally Posted by arrover View Post
    YES! I am so excited! Just ordered it. First twin and first cat for me. That is excellent to hear that the hull is so beefy.
    I am QUITE certain you won't be disappointed. The hardware is first class, and LOOKS incredibly professional and cool.

Interior is amazing. LOTs of room for upgrading bits.

I've already started...

20160126_204744.jpg

STOCK on LEFT, UPGRADE on RIGHT
    20160126_204856.jpg

Motor specs are definitely wrong. Well update that tonight. Darin, please update your first post.
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

A 36-inch twin cat is just what I've been asking for. And bright yellow is an excellent choice for visibility. Come springtime here in Michigan, I will be very, very interested.
    Revolt 30, River Jet, Southampton Tug, Outcast 6S BLX, 8ight-E, Ten-SCBE, 22 2.0.
    '09 Miata.
    Ibanez basses and guitars. Mapex drums, Zildjian cymbals.

Here it is compared to a TFL CHEETAH and Pro Boat Miss Geico 29. ..

20160127_171550.jpg

20160127_171616.jpg

20160127_171603.jpg

So I take it this runs on either (2) 4s packs on up to (2)5s and even (2)6s packs? Are two 5000mah 6s packs to heavy for the boat? Wondering what is going to power it batt wise, I take it the two motors aren't sucking off one battery supply correct?

But the while nice job looks Saaaawweeeeet!

Quote Originally Posted by JMSCARD View Post
    So I take it this runs on either (2) 4s packs on up to (2)5s and even (2)6s packs? Are two 5000mah 6s packs to heavy for the boat? Wondering what is going to power it batt wise, I take it the two motors aren't sucking off one battery supply correct?
    They way the boat is supplied, there is a Y-Harness that takes two 3S packs, puts them in series to make 6S, then feeds that one "pack" to both motors.

For mine, I'm not using that Y Harness, choosing instead to run a separate 5S or 6S pack to each motor. At least, that's the plan.

Since we're going to be limited to 5000mAh to each motor (10,000mAh total for Q), it's going to be a balance between power and capacity... and weight.

But then, it always is.

What running times can we expect using two 3s 5000mah batteries with y adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by gfmarlin88 View Post
    What running times can we expect using two 3s 5000mah batteries with y adapter?
    I'll have to let Rafael or one of the other testers answer that question. I rarely test for overall runtime. Too hard on cells. I test for performance and handling, which are optimal in the first 2 minutes of running.

That said, I ran mine for around 3 1/2 minutes or so before I brought it back in. Power system isn't really what I'd consider an "amp hog".

Here is what that Y Adapter looks like as supplied:

PRB18015-250.jpg

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...rodID=PRB18015

Got ya darin, yes I think I'd be running two separate packs also....

Darin, is there room for 40mm can size motors in the mounting area..? Looks like there is... I have way to many castle 1512 2650kv's and this would be perfect for them :) 4s1p per motor should be plenty fast :)

Lastly when are they expected to be avail?

Darin, is there room for 40mm can size motors in the mounting area..? Looks like there is... I have way to many castle 1512 2650kv's and this would be perfect for them :) 4s1p per motor should be plenty fast :)

Lastly when are they expected to be avail?
    40mm will fit easily. If you look up at post #4, that top picture is a 40x82mm motor with fairly thick water jacket on, and it has plenty of room. I just put in an order for two of those motors (40x82mm, 6-Pole, 1650KV) and I'll start by running them on 5Sx5000mAh, one for each. I'll rearrange the connections to be like I did on my Cheetah:

20150529_202450.jpg
    20150529_202450x.jpg

I might also add some of the movable battery trays down in the sponsons, just in front of the motors, to give me the option of splitting up the packs into a pair of 3S packs per side, or ??? Not sure how that will affect the CG, however. There is a LOT of boat out in front of those motors, do getting enough weight BACK in the boat will be the challenge to get the CG just right. HOWEVER, even with the 2000KV 36mm motors, this boat approaches 60mph, so keeping the CG up around 33-34% should actually work just fine.

I think Darin posted a picture above of a 40mm Voracity motor mounted in this new boat. There is also another thread here that you might want to follow. Good info. https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...quot-twin-cat-!

Here are pictures of the included adapter. We did this because we don't expect our customers, that may be new to boating, to drop major $ for 4 LiPos, on top of the price for the boat. This way, they can get going with just 2 packs. Running 2 packs like this, run time is 3:1/2-4 minutes of full throttle driving. I've had people report as much as 7 minutes moderating the throttle, and I was experiencing about 6 minutes during the making of the official promo video. With 4 packs, full tilt, you will get around 6-7 minutes and upwards of 10 moderating the throttle. This is all with the stock motors of course.

As Darin has mentioned, and posted pictures of, the motor mount will fit 40mm diameter motors but if you go as large as he is, you will have to find a way to support the back. I set the boat up to use the shorter can, 40mm motor from the Impulse as an "upgrade", being that it is only 6mm longer than the stock motor.

Rafael Lopez

Thanks for the picture Rafael. Is there any advantage to running 4 packs other than longer run time?

I discovered a long time ago, before working here, with our 29" hulls that they like weight. In my first MG29 that I got back in 2010, I ripped out the wood battery trays and would run 2, 4S packs in the sponsons. Handled way better than with 2, 2S packs. It made it feel more planted and I could carry more speed through the corners. The boat is also less likely to roll in a tight turn. Since this boat carries the same bottom design as the 29" boats, it reacts the same way to more weight.

With this specific boat though, I'll be honest, it's quite overpowered. With 4 packs, I found that during windy conditions the boat could run in to the wind without the front end wanting to lift. This meant that I could run in rougher conditions as well. 4 Batteries also makes it easier to set CG, without the need to change the struts from a neutral position, because the added weight helps settle the boat it can now plow through ripples/chop that might normally upset it. Just keep in mind that the weight of 4 packs could be equal to the weight of 2 single packs of the total sum voltage, to each ESC; meaning 2 single, 5s or 6s, packs would provide the same outcome with the only drawback being that you would be limited to not being able to shove a battery under the hull and use the entire length of the battery tray if you needed to.
    Rafael Lopez

nice job guys! love the"bruised banana" color scheme.after looking at the above photo im guesing it might be a tad of a pain to remove collets to lube the shafts though.looks tight.correct me if im wrong.

All great info! Boy looks awful nice, and hence why I thought the 1512's would be nice in there... 2650kv's and 4s per side :) with some dasboata 442's lol... the castles are only 68mm and probably no rear support needed, just plunk in and go! Great work Rafeal... I this is def a nice boat, and perfect size! I'll be trying one for sure. Hoping HH has one of those surveys lol.

Bigcam406, it's the angle of the shot. There is plenty of room to loosen the collet. Also, to access the farthest screw on the motor mount, all you need a ball driver, and an Allen wrench if you really want to crank on it. Trust me, there is nothing complicated about this boat. We designed the interior layout for ease of service. The benefit of working with this specific boat manufacturer is that We/I have 100% control of how the boats get designed and built. We don't buy what they have on the shelf which gives us the creative freedom to do as much forward thinking as possible.

Also, you had me dying with the "bruised banana" comment. That's awesome!!

Hope these pictures help.

All great info! Boy looks awful nice, and hence why I thought the 1512's would be nice in there... 2650kv's and 4s per side :) with some dasboata 442's lol... the castles are only 68mm and probably no rear support needed, just plunk in and go! Great work Rafeal... I this is def a nice boat, and perfect size! I'll be trying one for sure. Hoping HH has one of those surveys lol.
    Thank you.

If you don't find the survey, they sometimes have a summer boat sale during spring, which is right around the corner.
    Rafael Lopez

thanks for the clarification.the picture was deceiving.nice job.should be a hot seller.

Guys, also of note, the couplers on these new boats are QUALITY bits. All the hardware is. Just really, really nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Guys, also of note, the couplers on these new boats are QUALITY bits. All the hardware is. Just really, really nicely done.
    Raphael was showing me the drives and rudder a while back and I was impressed. I can't wait till they sell the hardware because I think it will fit nicely on a couple hulls I have. The couplers look like octura units which are high quality
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

What is the reason you chose to run two battery packs in parallel ? Is it not better to run a separate pack to each motor like Darin is going to do ? You are joining them and then splitting them again.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    The couplers look like octura units which are high quality
    Actually the couplers (picture doesn't yet seem to appear on the Pro Boat/Horizon site), are more like these:

ose-81518_medium.jpg

Use a pair of 10mm wrenches.

Quote Originally Posted by PROP View Post
    What is the reason you chose to run two battery packs in parallel ? Is it not better to run a separate pack to each motor like Darin is going to do ? You are joining them and then splitting them again.
    The financial reason for running both ESCs off one set of batteries is cost to the consumer. Our expectation of every RTR boat is that we will pull in customers that may not have experience with boats, or are possibly stepping up from a beginner boat. This means that if they don't have LiPos with which to operate the boat, the expense will be at least 1/3 the cost of the boat to buy 4 batteries. The cheapest 50c+ 11.1v packs I found on line were $60 + shipping, a each. So as you can imagine, expecting a customer to spend $649.99 for the boat plus $240 to $400+ on batteries could kill a sale. It would make much more sense to sped at least an extra $120+shipping for batteries, and go have fun. Having said this, keep in mind I do all my testing with the recommended packs. I can't vouch for the $60 packs though they may work just fine.

Performance wise, as long as your batteries are close to equally matched, it won't hurt to put them in series and then split them to the ESCs. The only thing you are hurting is run time. Where one may run in to heat issues is when you have 1 weak pack and one strong one, but that can happen any time you series 2 packs; it has nothing to do with splitting them. As for the ESCs, they don't care where the power is coming from. As long as they are both calibrated to the transmitter, which is done at the factory, they will both put out equal RPM to their motor, relevant to throttle position on the transmitter. With the adapter, voltage is constant between the 2 ESCs, and I never experienced one ESC hitting LVC before the other.

Depending on the quality of packs you run, you cold experience better performance, and run time, running an individual power feed to each ESC, but not everyone will have that luxury, so we made it easy for those who don't.

Long answer, I know. Sorry.
    Rafael Lopez

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Actually the couplers (picture doesn't yet seem to appear on the Pro Boat/Horizon site), are more like these:

ose-81518_medium.jpg

Use a pair of 10mm wrenches.
    The pictures should be up soon. The couplers in this boat are the same ones I specified for the Voracity 36. They are very well made and have excellent grip over the .187 cable. The only time I've heard of people having issues is when they get grease in them, which I've experienced with other couplers as well.
    Rafael Lopez

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast