Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Letting the lobster out of the bag!

Default Letting the lobster out of the bag!

I have the pleasure of working on one of the very first if not the first 1/10 scale Winston eagle lobster kits designed by MLBoatworks.
    Mike has given me the go ahead on lasering out some of the new parts he has converted from his larger kits he currently is offering.

The full kit is not for sale yet but it sounds like he is very close to finalizing everything. Stay tuned and tag along on the build it should be an awesome one!
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

That sounds really cool. I know it's a favorite of a lot of people. Maybe I'd better see if I have a cowling plug for that boat.

Jeff, you definately are getting the first 1/10th lobster I have ever done, and it is the extreme kit version. Just so everyone knows, the sponsons, ram wings, and rear shoes are designed and that is what Jeff currently has. I will be working on the center section more once a cowling is figured out. I am suppose to be aquiring one to make molds from, and in turn, make the center section match, but if that doesn't pan out, maybe Coug90 has one that we can make the center section match? Let us know Mitch! This kit has all the Extreme series ML Boatworks bells and whistles! Mike

PS, here is what the 1/8th scale version looks like for those that are curious:

Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Very cool!

What is different in the extreme series?
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

With the Lobster kit...everything Jim..Ride pad AoA, The 5 piece build design, 0 degree ram wings on the Extreme, rear shoe framing kit, toy tabbed floor pans, the new Sponson squaring framework, which forces the sponson to be 90 degrees to the center section/ ram wings, Lighter, Stronger, front ram wing and flap system, the center section has been shortened as much as possible to reduce some of the afterplane..hense reducing the "hard to balance out at 1" behind the sponson transom" effect of that extra long center section, allowing for less up front lead requirements of this particular hull. So much more goes into the Extreme series..and the extra cost is only around $30 extra above the standard kits! Mike

So is that Extreme series available on any kit you offer?
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

This is going to be SO COOL!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Jim, only on the kits I have spent the time redesigning to offer in an Extreme state, lol. I have a few different Extreme kits available. Just check the website under Scale, Extreme series for a current list. Thanks!

Darin, yeah, it should be sweet!

When is the 1/10 kit going to be made available mike?

Heck yeah I feel special and honored!
    Might just have to number it #1 on the inside of the tub.
    Looking forward to cutting the 1/16 pieces this week I'll post up some pics!

Also looking forward to hearing more about the cowling and we definitely need to see about getting Mitch to have a vaccum formed version of it if he doesn't already have 1 he can modify.

Glad it's getting some people excited!
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

It will be availalbe as soon as the cowling arrives so I can work on a mold, I will work on making the center section match the cowling, just like I did with the 1/8th scale version of the Extreme Lobster kit (and other Extreme series hulls).

Finished cutting the parts I could so far will post up more pictures this weekend on things.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

One of the things I love about the ML kits is that they go together with such ease.
    All the notches and tabs fit together perfect it really makes it hard to mess things up when your building them.
    Everything is marked and makes sense so you know exactly where each parts goes even without instructions.

I will be posting some pictures this weekend hopefully I can get out in the garage and get an area ready to start building!

Mike I was wondering for the dowels do I use hollow pultruded or solid carbon?
    Assuming hollow but wanted to double check.
    Last edited by monojeff; 01-28-2016 at 03:43 AM.
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Nice project for sure. I'd love to be a part of it, but it sounds like you have someone building the cowling and canopy plug for it already. If someone wants to trace a paper template of the center section outer edges up to the point, I could certainly work on a front and rear cowling to fit the model if you like. This will certainly be a cool build. People really like the lobster boat for some reason. It's just so different. Nice to see a laser kit of it coming together. Let me know if I can be of help.
    Mitch Dillard
    1:10 Scale Hydroplane Enthusiast
    hydroscalecreations.us, email:hydroscale@gmail.com

Jeff, the carbon rods are your choice. Whatever you feel comfortable with. I might suggest, using a solid rod up front, and a hollow rod in the back...That was you keep the weight further forward..just a thought!

Mitch, As soon as I determine the situation on the center section, I will do a pdf file you can print of the center section for you. That is no problem! I will be making the molds for a glass one I suspect, but people know your cowls very well, and may want to stick with you as far as the cowl goes! Doesn't matter to me either way, just as long as the customers are happy with their boats! Mike

Quote Originally Posted by monojeff View Post
    Finished cutting the parts I could so far will post up more pictures this weekend on things.
    Now, that's just not fair... you have COOL TOOLS! :)

We need to talk!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

I had a PM with a very important question. Yes, this kit is being sold through me. Jeff will probably do the cutting on it, and of course the build here, but the kit is an ML Boatworks kit. Just PM or email me with questions on availability. Thanks!

Thanks Mike yes don't want people to get confused about the kits!
    After bugging Mike about this kit for the past three years I think he finally just couldn't take it anymore and had to finalize it. Lol

Nothing like the smell of fresh laser cut birch plywood!
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Quote Originally Posted by monojeff View Post
    One of the things I love about the ML kits is that they go together with such ease.
    All the notches and tabs fit together perfect it really makes it hard to mess things up when your building them.
    Everything is marked and makes sense so you know exactly where each parts goes even without instructions.

I will be posting some pictures this weekend hopefully I can get out in the garage and get an area ready to start building!

Mike I was wondering for the dowels do I use hollow pultruded or solid carbon?
    Assuming hollow but wanted to double check.
    I can't totally agree with that first paragraph Jeff.
    I built one without instructions & it looks like I got it all wrong.

Just kidding. The kits do go together very easily.
    I did use hollow rods through mine when I modified it, but it wasn't an extreme kit, just the normal 1/8th scale. They were plenty strong enough.

I'd love to build a 1/10th scale Lobster. Sounds like it will be a great kit.

Oh my what happened!? Lol
    I love what you did with the kit. Very cool innovation.

PARTS!!!
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    I can't totally agree with that first paragraph Jeff.
    I built one without instructions & it looks like I got it all wrong.

Just kidding. The kits do go together very easily.
    I did use hollow rods through mine when I modified it, but it wasn't an extreme kit, just the normal 1/8th scale. They were plenty strong enough.

I'd love to build a 1/10th scale Lobster. Sounds like it will be a great kit.
    That is one of the coolest mod builds I've ever seen. You did a great job. How does that thing perform? It looks great! Looking forward to seeing what Jeff does with the Lobster project too. You guys got me wanting to do another build of my own. Shame on you!!
    Mitch Dillard
    1:10 Scale Hydroplane Enthusiast
    hydroscalecreations.us, email:hydroscale@gmail.com

Jeff/Mitch.
    I did a bit of a build thread on it. There's a couple of videos at the end before I got a turn fin sorted out. It turns a lot better now. I haven't had it out in ages. Must fire it up again.
    I'd still like to build a proper Lobster & a 1/10 scale would be perfect.
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...n-Eagle-Canard

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    Jeff/Mitch.
    I did a bit of a build thread on it. There's a couple of videos at the end before I got a turn fin sorted out. It turns a lot better now. I haven't had it out in ages. Must fire it up again.
    I'd still like to build a proper Lobster & a 1/10 scale would be perfect.
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...n-Eagle-Canard
    Thanks for posting the link for others to see, I had seen it when you were building it and enjoyed seeing it progress.
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Nice cutting Jeff. The canopy plug is in route to me right now. :)

Looks like everyone is liking what they are seeing so far. Getting a lot of PM's about the kit. Just so everyone knows, the 1/8th Extreme Lobster is already available and on the website for those that may not have known. I hope to have the 1/10th scale kit done very soon. Once I have the cowling plug in my hands I can finish the center section. Mike

I received the cowling plug last night. It will take some work to make a mold, but I should be able to pull it off. More later. mike

Looking forward to more progress Mike!
    Thanks again for getting this kit going!
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Glued a few pieces together today I'll do the other side tomorrow.

The pieces click together like Legos.
    Hard to make it not square.
    I am using the angles aluminum and the granite just to make sure things stay as square and even as possible.
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast