Thread: storage in a ammo can

Thumbs up storage in a ammo can

Hi everyone
    I've just bough a ammo can from army surplus store to store my lipos.
    My question is, should I vent the box. The ammo box has a tight seal.
    please advise.

I just took the seal out of the lid.

Brian
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by welo View Post
    Hi everyone
    I've just bough a ammo can from army surplus store to store my lipos.
    My question is, should I vent the box. The ammo box has a tight seal.
    please advise.
    I picked up a couple ammo cans from harbor freight. I was going to spray a layer of automotive undercoating to prevent any arcing out on the metal can. Does this sound like a good idea?

Look up batsafe

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Default storage in a ammo can

I have a couple Battsafes but I still use a couple ammo boxes as well and I sprayed the interiors with Plastidip so undercoating might work as well but test some I'm not sure if it dries completely. Some spray on bedliner might be a better option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Quote Originally Posted by pescador View Post
    I just took the seal out of the lid.

Brian
    just curious. what if you left the seal. wouldn't that choke off the air supply and not allow combustion? these cans are pretty thick. can't see lipos blowing it apart. any thoughts?

You should look for videos of ammo cans with lipos in them

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

LiPos will burn underwater, until their temperature drops. Air not needed. Seven years ago (when LiPos were much less powerful than they are today) I watched a 50-caliber ammo can - with a hole drilled in the side - shoot across the ground like a rocket for about 15 feet when the LiPos cooked off.

LiPO sacks and their like are far better for charging and storage than a sealed container. The gasses generated should be vented off safely. It is best to store them in a larger, vented container like a covered flowerpot, etc.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by urbs00007 View Post
    just curious. what if you left the seal. wouldn't that choke off the air supply and not allow combustion? these cans are pretty thick. can't see lipos blowing it apart. any thoughts?
    You've heard of a pressure cooker bomb, right? The seal works out pretty well in that design.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Yes as I understand it it is a two stage reaction, the thermal runaway from the internal short that does not need O2, and the second is the burning of the organics volatized by the heat that needs an ignition source and O2. That's why there is so much smoke from the ammo can compared to flames when they are burning in the open.
    There is an ammo can fire example on the bat-safe page.
    http://https://www.kickstarter.com/p...23410/bat-safe
    Namba District 16