Thread: The famous 1969 Cary 32 Cigarette boat

Default The famous 1969 Cary 32 Cigarette boat

This info was received via email from Chip.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone,

I know it's been a while since I posted anything but have been busy working on full sized boats. Anyway I was poking around on eBay and found a R/C boat hull that really resembled the famous 1969 Cary 32 Cigarette with all the correct dimensions, dead rise, flat deck and crown in stern. I don’t know the builder or manufacturer of this hull but it came from Kentucky, I won it for $142.00, received it a week later, and went right to work on a conversion. If anyone recognizes this boat I would like to know who made it. See pics when I received it before any alterations were done.
    First step was to remove all running components, k&b 7.5 engine, Stringers, electronics and drive hardware.
    Second, fiberglass inside all around where the deck met the hull.
    Third, cut the deck overhang all the way around and removed the hatch opening structure.
    Fourth, grind off lower chines about 1/2 amidships.
    Fifth, grind transom from 20 degrees to 10 degrees.
    Sixth, glass transom and add 3 inches of deck to hatch opening.
    Seventh, fabricate a new hatch and seat bolster and dash board. The dimensions of the real boats were 32’ 6” long and 9’4” wide. This model is 33’'Long , 9 1/4 “ wide.
    The next step eight was to paint and decal the original graphics and colors.
    Nine, upgrade operating gear so she underwent a complete re-power consisting of two TFL outdrives that look like real Mercruiser 6 drives from Offshore Electrics, new style Mercury Zero effort controls and new smart instrument clusters just like a real boat.
    All deck fittings were purchased from M.A.C.K. Products and Enforcer Boats, except for the deck fuel fills and exhaust which I hand made myself.
    Total hours 200.
    Total cost $700.00 hull, drives ,deck fittings, and materials with electronics.
    Unlike the models that Don Aronow and his son had reproduced of the Cary marine 32’ which were very limited to under 50 models between both Don and Michael Aronow at a resale price of $2500.00, the one I have built actually runs in water, and may be more accurate to scale than the models they had reproduced, and not just for display. At the time I could not afford one of these models so I decided to build my own .
    Notice, no ugly lifeline rail on top deck. I believe it was removed from coming loose in rough seas and resulting in a injured crew. Well now that you’ve seen photos of the real one.

Hope you enjoy the build,
    Chip

unnamed.jpgunnamed2.jpgunnamed3.jpgunnamed4.jpgIM001631.jpg
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

like this!
    it's a beauty!

Very nice. Any chance of some on water pics and/or vid at some time?
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Good job , that's sharp looking

Amazing, nice work
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Love it!!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Very nice!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

I am a diehard scale hydro guy but I got to admit the detail on this boat is awesome great job Danny
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

very nice ,,Great job ! Don Aronow designed the cary after he left magnum marine if I remember correctly I read this book his son wrote !!
    Last edited by dasboata; 01-21-2016 at 06:07 PM.

She looks fantastic!! Beautiful build!
    37" Fightercat Shocker powered by Neu 1530 on 10S

Very nice indeed, like the drives, grtz

Finaly finished,IM001817.jpgIM001757.jpg
    Time for a lake test ,soon as the ice is gone w/ video , thanks and stay tuned Chip

WOW! that,s one cool rig!

Wow, great job !
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

came out beautiful !!!

Danny\Chip

Some of the pictures from the first post came from here, http://www.historicraceboats.com/models.htm

Charlie McCarthy, who was the owner of the offshore boat Top Banana was in business with Don Aronow's son Michael. They had someone that was making these models for the HORBA web site. Charlie and I went back and forth in a few emails talking about resuming the Cigarette boat with me making limited edition models boats for sale on the site. Never came to fruition but I still have the emails from Charlie.

Hi Dan , Could you call me when you have time , i'm allways around the phone about 5-8 pm ,1 781 293 9462