Thread: Atomic Barbwire XL 24 vs Pro Boat Shockwave, Advise Needed

Question Atomic Barbwire XL 24 vs Pro Boat Shockwave, Advise Needed

Hello,

I want to purchase an electric boat. I’ll be a boat newbie but I’m not new to RC as I’ve been flying sailplanes competitively for 20+ years.

I’ve been looking at the Atomic Barbwire XL 24 and the Pro Boat Shockwave, both priced at $229. I like the Barbwire as its self-righting, but I like the looks of the Shockwave a bit better and it appears that the quality of the hardware is better on the Shockwave (metal vs plastic). There will be times I will be alone at the lake so a self-righting boat will be preferred.

I have a few questions if someone has either one of these;

* Which of these boats would be better suited for the first time boat driver?
    * Does one of these boats have an advantage over the other (other than self-righting) ?
    * Is one considerably faster than the other?
    * Do the trim tabs & fins on the Shockwave add enough stability to reduce the possibility of flipping thus negating the self-righting feature?
    * The transmitters look cheesy but what more do you need for a boat this size?

I anxiously await your advise…Dan

IN your case TBH I would get a barbwire...First of all if you have no clue if are going to flip your boat but then again I do not own a shockwave so it may not be fast enough IDK.. The only shockwave I had was years ago and it was the gas one.

I would recommend the Barbwire XL. I started out with an older version of the Shockwave (ABS Hull) and it holds a special place for me as I have learned a great deal about boating and have changed countless things. If you want something that will take more abuse I would go with the Barbwire. The self-righting feature is so great to me, and believe me, you will appreciate it the first time your boat flips and you don't have to figure out a way to go get it.

* Which of these boats would be better suited for the first time boat driver? (Either would be fine, it's not difficult to figure out their limits)
    * Does one of these boats have an advantage over the other (other than self-righting) ? (XL is a little smaller and norrower I believe, a little easier to transport)
    * Is one considerably faster than the other? (Both appear to be pretty close in stock form, I have seen them both hopped up on go-fast parts)
    * Do the trim tabs & fins on the Shockwave add enough stability to reduce the possibility of flipping thus negating the self-righting feature? (Trim tabs will only push the bow down, there is no reversing the boat not flipping. You need to pay more attention to speed and waves which commonly flip boats)
    * The transmitters look cheesy but what more do you need for a boat this size? (Stock transmitters aren't anything special, cost effective to keep the prices down, but good enough, my Proboat controller is one of my favorites)
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s