Thread: What boat for +- $900?

Default What boat for +- $900?

I want a fast boat for sport driving, I won't be racing. For around $900 excluding lipos.
    So far the cheetah seems to be my best choice. It can run 60mph all day to 80mph+ and it handles well.
    Which other boats should I consider?
    How does the cheetah compare to the
    Zonda?
    I'll consider a used boat if anyone is selling.
    My only concern is the lakes I go to often have rough water so a mono may be a better choice.

Anyone? Is there anything I should consider besides the cheetah?

Need more details single/twin etc. You have a cheetah running 80+ would love to see that.

I'd prefer single to save costs. Any suggestions ? The KBB 34" mono looks good.

I have a 41" Sprint Cat that would need ESCs, LIPOs, and your Rx. I believe it's the same bottom as the Cheetah or very close. People say this hull handles just as well. Total it would be right at your target or less depending on ESCs and LIPOs you install. It is twin setup with fighter cat motors good hardware and props. It ran about 50 MPH on 6s the few times I had it out. Then one of the very cheap Thunder Power ESCs started to fail.
    41" & 29" FE Aeromarine Sprint Cats, Quickdraw powered "Dollar Eater" 41" Insane Cat, 29" BL mod Graupner Cat, 24" Hydro, 29" OB Cat, BL mod NQD Tear Into Jet boat, 55" Scarab, JET SWEEP R/C pool skimmer Rescue Boat.

How rough water are you talking? Some consider 2" of ripple rough, but anything over small chop 6" makes it hard going with all but large boats. For flat water your speed desires are doable, but as it roughs up you won't push 60.
    Have you considered the ProBoat Voracity or Zelos? 50 out of the box and can get to 60 easy with a bit of prop changes and tuning. There are some threads on these boats.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

I'll take a look at the Voracity. Thanks.
    How do the hydros compare eg the 32" popeye ?
    Last edited by PROP; 01-21-2016 at 08:17 AM.

NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

The Speedcraft 34" gets good reviews. Is it a boat I should consider?

how about this one great boats [url]https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?53969-https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?

dasboata thats a beautiful boat ! but I don't have $1200

You could buy all 3 of mine and invite some friends over!!
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Good one Ken! Sorry, I meant to reply to you - I'll definitely consider your boats - thanks for the info.

EDIT: I'm buying OSE's Mean Machine. It was Steves shop boat. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Last edited by PROP; 01-23-2016 at 01:30 AM.

with that kind of budget you could easily build yourself a boat catered to your liking.
    BIG BOY HYDROPLANES----My first RC boat and build project to boot: (and more content in my profile gallery!) ---- https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...proposed-setup

Trouble is I've not built a boat before. I've built many fast electric planes so I could probably figure it out with a bit of help but I'd prefer to get some experience first.
    What boat would you suggest I build for $900?

Boats, at least in my opinion, are far far simpler in many aspects, especially building, when compared to planes.

If you indeed want to buy a boat just to get some experience and familiarity in before tackling any projects, id suggest getting something for much cheaper than 900$. Something from Proboat or Aquacraft, like the BlackJack 29 or UL-1, respectively. Also the type of boat you want to build/own will influence some of this.

But as long as your patient, you can really do whatever you desire as far as getting the boat you want with that kind of budget. Im still in college and had basically zero experience with RC (aside from my childhood toys) and I still built a brushless 1/8 scale hydro, which anyone who knows anything will tell you is one of the most difficult projects you can attempt, in addition to being a significant investment. It still took me a long time, and was difficult to say the least, but it was also extremely fulfilling and cultivating, really cant say how much fun I had and how happy I am to have stuck it through despite many times wanting to give up. Still brings a big bit of pride just thinking about it
    BIG BOY HYDROPLANES----My first RC boat and build project to boot: (and more content in my profile gallery!) ---- https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...proposed-setup

I've bought OSE's shop Mean Machine, its got a 4082, 180 esc and an M545 for 6S.
    I should get it around mid Feb. For $290 I couldn't resist.