Thread: Mah?

Default Mah?

We haven't called each other names in a while.

IMPBA has no restrictions on MAH. I was wondering about the practical application. Are you seeing domination by guys carrying 20k? Seems to me that with the length restriction I boat can only hold so much battery before it becomes a submarine.

So, how is not having those limitations working out for IMPBA? Any issues?
    Noisy person

I thought they did? Are you sure? If not then I won't worry about my new CAT! It's huge.

This was our New ExpressCraft Cats. 50" 27 Pounds. One has a Leopard one Has a Lehner. 65-70mph.

https://youtu.be/TUlgSEPRw7k

I thought there was a max weight.
    Noisy person

Maybe? What is it? I know a thunder boat is pretty heavy. Is there a Max weight for NAMBA? Length Max is 60"

IMPBA: "Classes A through F shall have a maximum hull length of 60 inches, bow to stern, and a maximum gross weight of 25 pounds, including fuel (race ready)." Fuel Classes..... Does this also count for Electric? I hear an argument coming. (No mention of weight in the Electric Section)

NAMBA: "The maximum allowable weight for any boat shall not exceed 35 pounds. Any class may have its own maximum or minimum weight requirements as long as the maximum weight does not exceed 35 pounds. The 35 pound weight limit is “ready to run” before fuel or gas is added. This weight limit applies to all boats except legal R/C Combat classes. A boat can be weighed at the discretion of a club official, contest official or through the protest process already defined by NAMBA rules in Section 16 - rule G.
    9"

I think I'm Good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post

So, how is not having those limitations working out for IMPBA? Any issues?
    No issues at all, & one less thing to tech. Taking the high road now on our NAMBA rule....
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Terry; In case you are confused, those running 20,000mah can run longer than those running 10,000mah.

Duhhhh....

Unless you run offshore I have never seen the advantage to ridiculous MAH loads. We can pull insane amps now. I think I might get away with 8k 10s in the cat but 10k is way more comfy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking on the NAMBA side there are a few classes that could probably benefit from increasing the capacity for 6-lap oval. Specifically Q mono has a 10Ah limit and I push the limit on 20% coming in. 12Ah would be nice. The same goes for Q/T cat. Given the available cell sizes 12Ah is somewhat limiting. There are a number of good large capacity cells like 6200, 7700 and 8200mAh packs that would be nice. For offshore it is a no brainer, every NAMBA class even P-Ltd could probably use more capacity but guys would simply use hotter set-ups.

TG
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

I asked on the IMPBA section because I was curious how it panned out for IMPBA.

Back in the day when we cooked up the NAMBA LiPo rules with the mah limits there was a lot lot LOT of arguing over having those limits in there. That was the debate that caused me to resign thinking back. Some were concerned that every class would require 20p and a 40/160 to be competitive. I'm pretty sure I was one of those wanting some sort of limits at the time. Plus, there was no such thing as a Seaking180 or a Swordfish back then.

So we've seen it run both ways now. With and without the limits. Not sure there's any difference. Our fears about mah domination may have been relative when we first started down the Lipo path but have become obsolete as technology has become more accessible. The boats can only handle so much weight at a given length. Have to think on that some more.

Howard, I never thought about it this way before but aren't our batteries "fuel"? I mean, throw it in the water without batteries and pull the trigger. Where ya go'n?

Q offshore could use 12k for sure Tyler. That's kinda the sweet spot IMO.
    Noisy person

I asked on the IMPBA section because I was curious how it panned out for IMPBA.

Howard, I never thought about it this way before but aren't our batteries "fuel"? I mean, throw it in the water without batteries and pull the trigger. Where ya go'n?

The rule says Fuel Classes A-F....Those aren't our classes.

Sorry missed that above. Max weight in any IMPBA class is 25# RTR.

4. Hull Classification
    No boat shall weigh over 25 pounds ready to run or be more than 60 inches in length. A boat may be run in more than one class by changing batteries / motors to comply with the class requirements. At any event, a boat may run only as a Mono or a Hydro. Further clarification on hull types may be found under Technical Standards, Hull Classifications and within this section where applicable.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

I missed that. I guess I can't run my FE CAT at IMPBA events. Have to go with the gas. NAMBA it's OK. I wonder if anyone ever techs that? I have seen some big twin cylinder cats at clubs. And some pretty heavy thunder boats.

Bummer Howard.

I can't speak for other clubs but I know Atlanta & SOWEGA weigh all twin LSG boats. My T Monos and FE Scale have been on the scales too.

If you end up looking for a very good power plant at a reasonable price PM HuffRacing here on OSE.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    This was our New ExpressCraft Cats. 50" 27 Pounds. One has a Leopard one Has a Lehner. 65-70mph.

https://youtu.be/TUlgSEPRw7k
    Nice boats Howard.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    I missed that. I guess I can't run my FE CAT at IMPBA events. Have to go with the gas. NAMBA it's OK. I wonder if anyone ever techs that? I have seen some big twin cylinder cats at clubs. And some pretty heavy thunder boats.

I don't know about regular race events, but the 25lb. rule definitely comes into effect at record trial events. I've ran lower mah lipos, removed water jackets and cooling hoses, and completely changed the way I build a boat when it comes to boats that are approaching the 25lb. mark. It's one of those things that you never give much thought to until it becomes an issue.

i have a great Gas Cat already. Nice R42 with a Maston 29.5 Full Mod. Keith is that IMPBA or NAMBA? 35# NAMBA.

I wonder how o could knock out 2 pounds? The Hatch weighs 2 pounds. It's 27 with 8k mah. I could slow down and run 6600mah. Or just only run NAMBA.

Yes Howard, I'm speaking of IMPBA. I think NAMBA allows up to 35lbs. as you mentioned.
    What hull are you running that is 27lbs?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    I can't speak for other clubs but I know Atlanta & SOWEGA weigh all twin LSG boats. My T Monos and FE Scale have been on the scales too.
    I remember that ginormous twin nitro cat that was just under the weight limit. Do they make him fuel it up before they weight it?
    Noisy person

I did once have a scale that weighed in at 23 lb. Had a 3060/9 and 64 Nimh in it. I never raced it though.
    Noisy person

I remember that ginormous twin nitro cat that was just under the weight limit. Do they make him fuel it up before they weight it?
    Yes sir. RTR.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by keithbradley View Post
    Yes Howard, I'm speaking of IMPBA. I think NAMBA allows up to 35lbs. as you mentioned.
    What hull are you running that is 27lbs?
    ExpressCraft. Maybe my scale is off. Will have to use another.