Thread: Tfl arrow rigger tp power motor swap

Default Tfl arrow rigger tp power motor swap

I've come to love this little boat. I bring it with me when we go to campgrounds because I can run it wide open in a small pond and it'll hang a turn. Of course I didn't have the room to do it in here but I got to check the speed of the new motor. I put a little 2935 3770kv motor in place of the stock sss motor. The sss motor was so inconsistent that I thought my esc was bad. Nope. Receiver bad, nope. And I thought my gps was messed up..nope. Turns out the motor just didn't last long. Well it's like a $30 motor so what can I expect? Lol. Anyway, mr Jim sent me this abc 35mm 3 blade prop to try on it. Not only did it pick up over 2.5mph from the fastest prop I ever tested on it....it did it with the batts at storage voltage. It ran 43.9 on 2s with a huge 5800mah 2s pack in it. Then I swapped to 3s and it went 59.9mph. Seems like its handling the speed very well. It took a bit of tuning to get this thing lined out but I'm very happy with it now. I am going to change the motor to a slightly higher kv once I am able to run it out (think I'll be getting a different motor for christmas hehehe). It was just to small to run it out in here. Was still a hoot tho!

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Seems like no one really cares, but anyway. Ran it again because I didn't think it was topped out in that small area. I also got a feel for how it handles at speed and turning. I wish I could have videod the turning I did but I was by myself and I can't drive well with one hand. I did make a couple passes and some slow down turns. It will turn at almost full throttle but I think my turns were sharper than they would be on a real race course. Hard to judge without boueys. I'll head down to the pond soon and try it out on the race course. Until this this is all I have. I think it's a cool little pond rocket.

And as hard as I tried to untape it with one hand and keep the video rolling, I couldn't. I accidentally hit one of the volume buttons on my phone which stops and starts video. Ugh. So a pic will have to do.

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I was pretty impressed with the construction on these. So tiny inside though. For a 2s or 3s boat that's kinda the norm. I have a nice little 5000kv Lehner for one of these. Brian still has the one I would have put it in at the moment.
    Noisy person

I just noticed. Your GPS is bigger than the motor. haha
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    I was pretty impressed with the construction on these. So tiny inside though. For a 2s or 3s boat that's kinda the norm. I have a nice little 5000kv Lehner for one of these. Brian still has the one I would have put it in at the moment.
    Yea I'm not up to speed on this low voltage thing. Guess that's why no one is posting. It did take quite a bit of effort to get the thing this stable. 45-50 mph it was flipping at first. Wouldn't go straight either and drove like poo. Not sure if that's the norm for this boat but if it is then anyone who owns one would appreciate how good it runs now. Just took a bit of tlc. I'm learning something new. I'm building two etti Demons right now (4s omg) so I can apply what I've learned from this to them. This little baby motor is actually pretty strong for its size. I'm surprised, plus the kv is only 3700ish. I can go a little higher and get into the 70's I'm sure. The strut doesn't really move so I'm sort of stuck with the adjustment how it is. It will move just a tiny bit but probably not enough to get it where I want. I'm still trying to figure out what prop it likes but so far abc has put a whipping on the octura props. And yea, the gps is small but bigger than the motor lol.

Up here we (well at least I do) discourage anyone from going into 2s boats. Us being an racing oval monkey club and all. If you want to race it's tough to find a place to do that with a 2s boat. Few build them anymore. Even at a nats it's hard to field a full heat. I'm sure there are pockets out there like any class but up here we don't so we push guys towards stuff we know will hit the water.

I handed my Arrow off to Buass. I figured if it had any oval potential at all he would be the best guy to find it. Helps to know people. haha He brought it out for the 14 nats and suffered a motor failure. I'm not sure what motor he went with though. There are so many options for a 2s rigger. They don't way anything and run completely out of the water.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Up here we (well at least I do) discourage anyone from going into 2s boats. Us being an racing oval monkey club and all. If you want to race it's tough to find a place to do that with a 2s boat. Few build them anymore. Even at a nats it's hard to field a full heat. I'm sure there are pockets out there like any class but up here we don't so we push guys towards stuff we know will hit the water.

I handed my Arrow off to Buass. I figured if it had any oval potential at all he would be the best guy to find it. Helps to know people. haha He brought it out for the 14 nats and suffered a motor failure. I'm not sure what motor he went with though. There are so many options for a 2s rigger. They don't way anything and run completely out of the water.

Yea Brian is the man when it comes to riggers from what I read. Funny you mention the 2s. I was just doing some calculation guesstimates on what kv motor I need to run 2s in the 70's with this thing. I can fit 5800mah in it on 2s. Might be a moot point because it will draw more amps and probably have close to the same run time. I may still do it anyway.

The stock sss motor didn't last very long in this boat. Tp motors I think are better.