Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bought a ProBoat Stealthwake to play with

Maybe this question has already been answered but I am trying to convert my Stealthwake to brushless. I would like to run 2s-3s in it. I have a Dynamite 2000KV motor with a cooling jacket (DYNM3900). The motor has a 5mm output shaft. I'm not replacing the stock driveshaft. Which coupler should I use for this application?

A 3mm to 5mm rigid coupler?

@telcoboy69

I'm in the same boat (LOL)

I might do a flexshaft upgrade still but will first give the stock driveshaft a go. The day I bought it I ran it ONCE, concluded it was too slow for my liking and proceeded to rip out the stock driveline/electronics.
    I'll put a 3660 3180kv (2s MAX I think hehe) marine 4 pole motor in it. (had it in my traxxas blast for a little while running 6 cell nimh). The blast driveshaft and even the nylon U-joint (not the plastic motor/driveshaft coupler, it's trash) can take it. Keep in mind that the blasts driveshaft is roughly 3/4 of the length of the stealthwake shaft and 4mm opposed to the SW's 3mm. Traxxas really should sell it with such a setup as stock, that way it actually lives up to its name hahaha.

Funny enough the stuff I pulled out of the stealthwake will find it's way into the Traxxas blast and it will be used as a rescue rig.

To reply to your question... I will also be using a 3mm to 5mm rigid shaft coupler. The problem with that (for me at least) is that I wasn't able to find one for some time until I turned to Aliexpress and Banggood. Strange that no LHS or even webshops seem to offer a coupler with those 2 dimensions. I don't know it might be a different story in the States. YMMV.
    Last edited by KL0J0; 08-04-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by telcoboy69 View Post
    Maybe this question has already been answered but I am trying to convert my Stealthwake to brushless. I would like to run 2s-3s in it. I have a Dynamite 2000KV motor with a cooling jacket (DYNM3900). The motor has a 5mm output shaft. I'm not replacing the stock driveshaft. Which coupler should I use for this application?
    What esc are you using???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using a Racent 40A esc that came out of my Volantex (Racent) Atomic. I have a Dynamite 4 pole 2000kv motor. The combination seems to work well on 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by telcoboy69 View Post
    A 3mm to 5mm rigid coupler?
    Actually, Offshore Electrics sells a coupler that will meet your needs. I was just looking at it today! Just go to their page and search for the "OSE Aluminum coupler." I assume they actually make it because you can get it in just about any size you need. I looked at the "5mm motor" one since it's 5mm on the one side and for the Stealthwake, you'll probably need the 5mm to .130" It's a rigid coupler. Of course, you can get universal joint couplers as well, but if you use the same mounting plate and can get the motor back dead-in-line, the OSE rigid coupler is your best bet.
    Last edited by sciesielka; 08-21-2019 at 10:24 PM. Reason: added signature
    Info and pictures about our Invincible Razor build, Lindberg PT Boats; Racing Runabout; Pro Boat Stealthwake and more! Plus videos of our boats including upgrades, repairs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey80 View Post
    How important would you say it is to swap the direct drive over to a flex shaft? If i'm sticking to 2-3S and around 30mph, do you feel the stock driveshaft is up to the task or would there be some diminished performance with the negative strut/prop angle?
    Thanks, Mark D.
    I know this question is pretty old, but for anyone else looking to do the same thing I can tell you that we are still running the stock rigid driveshaft on the Stealthwake. The boat has a 2600KV brushless motor and so far it's only been run on 2S. It has a few other upgrades like trim tabs, but even with the stock 1.6x1.6 plastic prop, it runs great and runs around 25mph. We haven't tried a 3S yet, but I'm sure it could handle it. We do have plans to upgrade to a flex shaft along with other upgrades for the 2021 season, but for the past 2 years with the brushless and rigid shaft, it's been a great boat in all water conditions! See the videos link in my 'signature' to see how it runs.
    Info and pictures about our Invincible Razor build, Lindberg PT Boats; Racing Runabout; Pro Boat Stealthwake and more! Plus videos of our boats including upgrades, repairs, etc.

I just upgraded to 90 amp turnigy esc and surpass 3300kv motor, running 2s. Now this boat is rockin. Love it. The brushed setup is horrible and overheats so quickly. Best upgrade I?ve ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GMMWicked View Post
    I just upgraded to 90 amp turnigy esc and surpass 3300kv motor, running 2s. Now this boat is rockin. Love it.
    Are you still running with the stock solid prop shaft? Just curious because I finally upgraded to a flex shaft and strut and I'm having issues with handling. The boat ran fast and predictably even with the negative prop angle with the stock solid prop shaft. But now that I have the prop "level" it's been a challenge to tame it and I'm still working on it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123