Thread: Help on How to Hook Up the SK 130a HV v3

Default Help on How to Hook Up the SK 130a HV v3

I purchased the v3 version of this ESC and got around to hooking it up today. Things didn't go as smoothly as I hoped.

I have two 5s packs in series. I have a Tactic Rx and I use a dedicated Rx battery pack. I have a switch harness as well. So I hooked the battery into one end of the switch harness and the other end into the Battery port on the Rx. I then hooked the long Rx lead from the SK 130a HV to channel 3 on the Rx. I left the short Rx lead alone. I turned on the transmitter and then the receiver switch. I then connected the batteries to the SK. The motor began making a lot of beeps, but honestly I had a very difficult time hearing a pattern and nothing in the instruction pamphlet nor online seemed helpful. The motor never spun up but the rudder works fine. I made sure my servo reversing was set to R on the Tx. I also saw mention of green and red LEDs on the ESC but I never saw anything. Where should I be looking on the ESC?

What am I missing here? Can someone explain which Rx lead does what and which one goes where (in the instructions, the long lead looks to go to one of the channels in the Rx, but I don't see anything about the short lead. The instructions seem to be generic for their entire model lineup and the illustrations show a short lead with a switch on it (the HV does not have this)). Is the short lead just for programming? Or does the short lead go to the switch and then to the Rx battery (which would seem odd as the short lead of the ESC has a female plug (pins go into it) as does the switch harness).

I am also getting a spark when plugging in the positive lead. I have read several "here's how to hook it up" articles but they vary widely. I have connected the negative lead from the ESC to the negative lead of one of the batteries. The positive lead of this battery is then connected to the negative lead of the second battery. At this point, I turn on the Tx and then the Rx. When I connect the positive lead of the second battery to the positive lead of the ESC, I get the spark. Can someone please explain, step by step, the correct connection sequence?

I really appreciate your time in helping me get through this.

The short lead is just for programming.
    Plug the long lead into channel 2 of the rx and then follow the throttle programing protocol outlined in the instructions.
    A spark when connecting power leads can be expected.

Thank you Keith for answering the "which lead does what" question.

The SK specifically advertises that it has a built in anti-spark circuit. I know this is simply a resistor on the positive lead (and can be seen encased in heat shrink). Does the fact that a spark occurs mean something is wrong with either 1) how I am hooking up the battery to the Esc or 2) with the Esc (resistor) itself (I am assuming/hoping it is the former)?

Thanks

Update: I figured out the anti-spark. I feel foolish for not understanding this originally. If it helps, this is how it works...

Make sure all negative leads are connected. On the positive lead on the Esc there is a bullet connector between the thin anti-spark jumper wire. Disconnect this FIRST. Now connect the battery to the main plug at then end of the ESC's positive lead (it should be dangling free only by the thin anti-spark jumper wire. Now connect the bullet connector on the ESC's positive lead that is between the anti-spark jumper wire (this is what you disconnected first). You should now be all set with no spark.

As for the long versus short Rx leads... Keith was correct. The long lead goes to the Rx. However, on my radio the throttle is channel 3. I am using a Tactic TTX600 6-channel Tx and a 625 Rx. I hooked all of this up and was able to calibrate the throttle. I think all I need to do now is program the ESC to know that it will have 10 cells hooked to it (instead of auto-detecting the cell count).

Glad you got the anti spark figured out Penn. you can leave it in auto or program for the cell count. Do you have a program box or doing by transmitter? I recommend the box.

I was going to try by way of the transmitter; I don't have the programming card/box. I may give it a try later today.

Pennstater,

I have just purchased a SK 130a HV v3 to run on 12S for an Challenger 43 endurance set up. The SK 130a HV v3 does not have an internal BEC set up - are you using a separate RX battery pack or an external BEC set up? I have purchased a CC BEC 2.0 Wp external BEC to use with the SK 130 HV, but am starting to have second thoughts - in that a failed external BEC could fry all of my electrical components including my expensive SK ESC by sending direct battery pack voltage into the RX circuit.

What are your thoughts and experience with the SK HV ESC

I use a receiver battery for all of my boats; just don’t feel like messing around with BECs. When I was looking at BECs versus receiver batteries, I recall reading you needed special BECs for HV setups and those started getting expensive (this was three years ago). I use a small single cell LiFE battery (or even four AA’s).

Other than the setup issues I had initially (documented above), the ESC has been rock solid (note I have not run the boat in a while). Good luck.

Thanks for you input Pennstater. It appears from this ESC forum that some CC HV BEC's aren't too reliable, and frying my electronics not an option I want to happen because of a failed external BEC.

Do you use an inline on-off power switch with your receiver pack, or do you plug the receiver pack into your receiver each time you run your boat?

Charlie T

I use an inline switch. Just my personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by tebby2 View Post
    Thanks for you input Pennstater. It appears from this ESC forum that some CC HV BEC's aren't too reliable, and frying my electronics not an option I want to happen because of a failed external BEC.

Do you use an inline on-off power switch with your receiver pack, or do you plug the receiver pack into your receiver each time you run your boat?

Charlie T
    Happened to me several times with the early CC BEC. The BEC kerfuffled & passed full battery power to the rx. Fried the RX & Servo. Now where needed I use an outboard Rx battery BUT since it's normal for me to forget to turn it off I use a switch AND a blinking LED to remind me to turn it off. (still working on a device to remind me to turn it ON )

switch1.jpg switch3.jpg

{you can see the rx battery peeking out under the rear deck}
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Thanks for the follow up about the switch question. I have become very accustomed to using the BEC switch to secure ESC from accidental operation - for those ESC's equipped with an internal BEC. My battery connector plugs are difficult to disconnect unless my boat is firmly in its cradle sitting on the shore. I prefer the security of a BEC switch to arm or disarm my ESC when I'm taking my boat in and out of the water. I know some who prefer to eliminate the BEC switch - they feel the switch is a weak link just waiting to shut down the ESC while the vessel is powered up and under way. But for me the security shut down option is important.

Charlie T