Thread: ThunderPower 50% off

Thanks for the code. I'm always looking to try something new. So I go to their website and look up some prices to see how comparable they are to what I'm using now. Looked at a 70c 5300mah 4s pack. When I saw the price I just about fell out of my chair. $189.99 for one battery???!!?? Really? I know with the code you get two (kinda gives you an indication of the absurd markup I think). I really would like to know what makes these worth twice the price of other competitive brands? Don't get me wrong, I know most of the time you get what you pay for (well except maxx amps). I'm not meaning this as a pot shot at thunder power by any means, I just really want to know what makes these things so expensive this day and age where the price of lipos has Gone down a lot. I'd really like to compare them to what I'm using now but the price is a little out of my league.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Travis they have do have good batts, and yes they're VERY expensive... I saw the sale and just had to drop my butt off at the curb and drop my brand new packs down in the swap shop... I'm a little upset actually... they said there wasn't going to be a big sale a bit ago this year...

The cell matching on TP's are a big notch above most suppliers.... I won't say they're better then revos but I will say they last a long time if taken care of... They say most "cells" come from 4 different lipo manufacturers... the big dollars companies like TP get the cream of the crop, and they pay the longer dollar for their cells... in turn you get better packs... but the cost is there no question. Also note whenever there is a big sale at TP you can guarantee you won't see these packs at your doorstep before XMas... I will put money down that they run out of cells.. even if the packs you want show in stock, give them a call to see what the estimated time you could expect them to fill your order... they make packs on request per order... so no cells means you wait a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by JMSCARD View Post
    Travis they have do have good batts, and yes they're VERY expensive... I saw the sale and just had to drop my butt off at the curb and drop my brand new packs down in the swap shop... I'm a little upset actually... they said there wasn't going to be a big sale a bit ago this year...

The cell matching on TP's are a big notch above most suppliers.... I won't say they're better then revos but I will say they last a long time if taken care of... They say most "cells" come from 4 different lipo manufacturers... the big dollars companies like TP get the cream of the crop, and they pay the longer dollar for their cells... in turn you get better packs... but the cost is there no question. Also note whenever there is a big sale at TP you can guarantee you won't see these packs at your doorstep before XMas... I will put money down that they run out of cells.. even if the packs you want show in stock, give them a call to see what the estimated time you could expect them to fill your order... they make packs on request per order... so no cells means you wait a bit...
    Man if I could get someone to sent me a pair of 3s pack to try for a run or two....I might get convinced. That would be bad for me tho as I'd go broke! Lol

The only complaint I have with the revos is I've left them charged and in my hot shop and they lightly puff. I don't like that but it taught me to be religious with my lipo maintenance.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

They also have a 2 year mfg warranty, 50% crash replacement warranty and trade-in program. I've been using Revo's lately, but comparing the price with TP's 50% off it comes out cheaper. So I'm going to try a couple sets next year. 2 sets of 4s and 6s 3300mah 40C Revo's with $20 discount and shipping is $223. 2 10S 3300mah 55C TP's with their discount and free shipping comes out to $179. I've used TP in the past when I was able to get a deal, at their regular price, I also agree they're way too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarel View Post
    They also have a 2 year mfg warranty, 50% crash replacement warranty and trade-in program. I've been using Revo's lately, but comparing the price with TP's 50% off it comes out cheaper. So I'm going to try a couple sets next year. 2 sets of 4s and 6s 3300mah 40C Revo's with $20 discount and shipping is $223. 2 10S 3300mah 55C TP's with their discount and free shipping comes out to $179. I've used TP in the past when I was able to get a deal, at their regular price, I also agree they're way too expensive.
    Well maxx Amps and venom have great warranties too but the battery performance from them are ho hum. Venom much better than maxx amps tho. I would like to know if either of you guys (since one mentioned using revos) have ran a comparable revo and thunder power in the same boat and noticed any difference. I've seen people compare a 65c thunder or something like that to the 40c revo line but that's not a fair comparison. 70c vs 70c would be more fair. Just wondering. I can't help but think about the very first time I ran my Rivercat with a pair of revos. It was the first time I had ever flipped it. When your going 50ish and rolling into the throttle to get the then hammer it at that speed (like all the other passes I had made with other batts) and the boat instantly picks the nose up and flips. That was a noticeable increase in power. I was just wondering how these compared. If they had the same performance but lasted longer, it may be worth it. I think revo has a shorter life span than some lower performance lipos. I've got a gens ace that I've abused and left charged and in the heat and took over two years for it to puff a little. I tried the same thing with a revo (recovery boat) and it puffed in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Thanks for the code. I'm always looking to try something new. So I go to their website and look up some prices to see how comparable they are to what I'm using now. Looked at a 70c 5300mah 4s pack. When I saw the price I just about fell out of my chair. $189.99 for one battery???!!?? Really? I know with the code you get two (kinda gives you an indication of the absurd markup I think). I really would like to know what makes these worth twice the price of other competitive brands? Don't get me wrong, I know most of the time you get what you pay for (well except maxx amps). I'm not meaning this as a pot shot at thunder power by any means, I just really want to know what makes these things so expensive this day and age where the price of lipos has Gone down a lot. I'd really like to compare them to what I'm using now but the price is a little out of my league.
    Travis, your Revo packs beat out the TP hands down
    there is a huge thread on rcgroups with Joe, doing some great testing on lots of different brands of lipos, and the TP packs keep falling to the bottom of the list as far as power output, specially for the price.. I think it was that thread that has prompted the 50% off sale to bring them down in price that is closer to other packs on the market.
    even packs with cheaper prices are better than the TP packs in that thread

the thread
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767093
    the biggest reason this thread was started was the high price and they did not warranty his packs that he used in EDF I believe
    as we know, we do not always get what we paid for
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Brushless while that thread may hold some water, yet TP's need to be broken in.... That much I know.... And running in a model vs just hooking up to a Giles est meter while may provide some valueable and real data... Using in a real high discharge real life scenario means more to me... None of the data shows any real amount of cycles on packs... Maybe 5... TP packs come into I after 10 cycles at bare minimum I cycle mine many times before running them, but still they perform very well in the model ... Wether the paper system shows they do as much ... Well maybe not so well... But I also think they're not really doing a good enough amount of cycles to make accurate data on tp's ... TP packs are the only ones I've ever had 400 cycles on that I know and they still performed well ... I'd love to see data of the packs at 25-50 cycles ... My IRs are still dropping on my 15 cycle packs at every cycle...

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    there is a huge thread on rcgroups with Joe, doing some great testing on lots of different brands of lipos, and the TP packs keep falling to the bottom of the list as far as power output, specially for the price.. I think it was that thread that has prompted the 50% off sale to bring them down in price that is closer to other packs on the market.

the thread
    the biggest reason this thread was started was the high price and they did not warranty his packs that he used in EDF I believe

Brushless while that thread may hold some water, yet TP's need to be broken in.... That much I know.... And running in a model vs just hooking up to a Giles est meter while may provide some valueable and real data... Using in a real high discharge real life scenario means more to me... None of the data shows any real amount of cycles on packs... Maybe 5... TP packs come into I after 10 cycles at bare minimum I cycle mine many times before running them, but still they perform very well in the model ...
    Not only is this guy running several break in cycles, he does the same with all the packs he tests to keep a level playing field..
    also he is running them at high amp loads "valuable real data"
    and does several cycles at these loads, and the TP packs come in towards the bottom of performance specially with the normal prices of TP
    some of the best data I have seen when it comes to lipo testing for us all to view
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Well maxx Amps and venom have great warranties too but the battery performance from them are ho hum. Venom much better than maxx amps tho. I would like to know if either of you guys (since one mentioned using revos) have ran a comparable revo and thunder power in the same boat and noticed any difference. I've seen people compare a 65c thunder or something like that to the 40c revo line but that's not a fair comparison. 70c vs 70c would be more fair. Just wondering. I can't help but think about the very first time I ran my Rivercat with a pair of revos. It was the first time I had ever flipped it. When your going 50ish and rolling into the throttle to get the then hammer it at that speed (like all the other passes I had made with other batts) and the boat instantly picks the nose up and flips. That was a noticeable increase in power. I was just wondering how these compared. If they had the same performance but lasted longer, it may be worth it. I think revo has a shorter life span than some lower performance lipos. I've got a gens ace that I've abused and left charged and in the heat and took over two years for it to puff a little. I tried the same thing with a revo (recovery boat) and it puffed in a few months.
    I don't have any back to back tests to compare. I do have TP packs I purchased 4 years ago that are still going strong which still wouldn't matter much as I'm sure the manufacturer of the packs has probably changed.

I'm not
    Not only is this guy running several break in cycles, he does the same with all the packs he tests to keep a level playing field..
    also he is running them at high amp loads "valuable real data"
    and does several cycles at these loads, and the TP packs come in towards the bottom of performance specially with the normal prices of TP
    some of the best data I have seen when it comes to lipo testing for us all to view
    I have owned Many TP packs, and all in saying is if all packs I've ever owned which is literally in the thousands, tp's need to be broken in more then any other packs .... I had a kde powered 450 Trex heli that pulled some serious Amps out of 2250mah 3s packs... I had 65c packs of TP's approx 14 of them for that heli and another 450 that had stock motor... I got the load of TP batts and got anxious and puffed two of f them as I hadn't cycled them properly... The packs I took my time and cycled 10 cycles before using in the heli were by far cooler running through their life, more powerful ...and the packs I only cycled a few times didn't puff but weren't like the packs I cycled 10 times... The two packs I didn't cycle and just ran ... They were always puffy after running and didn't stay puffy after cooling but were never the packs the others were.. Anyway all I'm saying is TP packs def like being cycled, cycle them before use and ease them into the high amp loads and I truly believe they will last longer then any other packs... I fly planes and have for a long time... I will often bring 3 planes to the field and fly 8 packs through each on a given Sunday morning.... So I've put a few cycles on packs... Not saying my experience is fact but it's what has been my experience with TP packs... Folks who just buy them and throw a couple quick cycles or not at all and then push them may not have the best luck with them... And puff a expensive pack from bringing them down to Lvc under a high amp draw in the young cycles is bad news :)

post #3195
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post33288352

this guy has tons of experience with TP packs with way more than 10 runs on them... THEY ARE BROKE IN
    and more so than most
    arguing about running packs in at X amount of times till they work properly is an issue to me as none of my other packs need such a long time to get to work properly
    Most customers do not run X cycles on lipo batteries before they actually use them... they pull them from the package, charge up and then fly with them or ...
    again Joe, has run these packs in his big EDF jets and they just to not perform like other packs on the market and this is with more than 10 cycles on them
    he has 100's of flights on them and again he no longer uses them because there are better packs on the market at 1/2 the cost and with less issues
    higher price never ever guaranties a superior pack

I've run a Magnum battery to 3% on its 4th flight and never have had an issue with that pack, in fact it keeps getting better the more I fly with it
    and is a battery I can fly in the Rare Bear

I'm not protecting them lol... I'm saying my experience... And I myself use them in pretty potent edf's and Very very potent Helis... As well as some of my nicer boats ... I honestly feel a lot of people are armchair quarterbacks on rcg... And some upset about the price so much they are trying to get tps prices down by bashing them... I don't care they perform for me... Yes they're expensive but I've had good luck with them others might not... Who knows but I spent over $3k with them this year so I can say I'm talking from my experience... That's it ... I will say other packs may perform close or just as good but no nanotech will last over 75 cycles and put out the real "pop" anymore and I know it when I buy nanotechs.. I often use them in things I don't want to hurt my tp packs in... Lol... TP packs have lasted many more cycles then any lacks I've ever owned that's why I like them most they don't degrade like others... They store very very well and in my climate that is a must too... I don't have any affiliation with TP obviously and I don't like the prices either but I do like the batteries others may not... But I do run packs hard let me tell ya lol... Anyway hope you're not taking offense brushless just trying to at least say what I've had for luck with them which besides draining the bank account on them I like them... :)

post #3195
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post33288352

this guy has tons of experience with TP packs with way more than 10 runs on them... THEY ARE BROKE IN
    and more so than most
    arguing about running packs in at X amount of times till they work properly is an issue to me as none of my other packs need such a long time to get to work properly
    Most customers do not run X cycles on lipo batteries before they actually use them... they pull them from the package, charge up and then fly with them or ...
    again Joe, has run these packs in his big EDF jets and they just to not perform like other packs on the market and this is with more than 10 cycles on them
    he has 100's of flights on them and again he no longer uses them because there are better packs on the market at 1/2 the cost and with less issues
    higher price never ever guaranties a superior pack

I've run a Magnum battery to 3% on its 4th flight and never have had an issue with that pack, in fact it keeps getting better the more I fly with it
    and is a battery I can fly in the Rare Bear

Have you owned a lot of them brushless? I can also say they are matched cells... When I run the packs down from all different manufacturers in let's say a jet... Then bring the 10 packs home... Other brands are often at 3.74 , 3.78, 3.76, 3.81 etc... Tp's seem to always be literally balanced after the run with all cells matching all the time... That tells me things...I charge and use a lot of packs in a given week....

And I NEVER run my packs no matter which brand pull my packs out of the package and run without cycling... Or if I do it's being very easy on them on low amp applications first (planes, not edfs, are low on the amp draw) I never pull from the package and stick any pack under a 100 amp constant or more discharge rate... It's def not going to help the lipo... And no lipo manifacturer will say it's fine practice to do so... If folks do then that's their business but it's not going to extend the life of your packs that is for sure... I have two cheap 70mm Edf units with a thrust tube and a cheap plush 60 Esc I use to bench cycle a lot of my packs with... One of the 70mm has a 6s system and one a 4s... I use them and set my radio at whatever percent throttle I need to achieve the desired constant draw... Cheap, easy, quick, simple and works for me...
    Last edited by JMSCARD; 11-26-2015 at 09:44 AM.

Hey guys no need for a debate lol. I was just wondering. I've never run them so I have no idea what to expect. I was considering getting a set of 3s just to try them out at the bogo price but after thinking it over I'm just gonna hold off for now. Thanks and I didn't mean to start a debate (always seems to happen with batteries lol). Thanks op for posting the code!

Haha yeh and brushless I hope you don't think I was trying to say your info wasn't good info... I very much agree keeping companies honest is great.... But my past experiences with the packs have made me a believer.... Maybe things have changed I don't know... Maybe they're not what they used to be... But time will tell yet again for me ... Maybe next spring when I'm able to use them for ok post back and say I'm now not as impressed with them... But for now I still like them haha... Happy thanksgiving to all of ya here at OSE!!! Eat lots of turkey and I guess I'll be thankfull we can get lipos without paying crazy shipping or VAT taxes like Europe and Canada!

Haha yeh and brushless I hope you don't think I was trying to say your info wasn't good info... I very much agree keeping companies honest is great.... But my past experiences with the packs have made me a believer.... Maybe things have changed I don't know... Maybe they're not what they used to be... But time will tell yet again for me ... Maybe next spring when I'm able to use them for ok post back and say I'm now not as impressed with them... But for now I still like them haha... Happy thanksgiving to all of ya here at OSE!!! Eat lots of turkey and I guess I'll be thankfull we can get lipos without paying crazy shipping or VAT taxes like Europe and Canada!
    Not at all
    because I was passing along some very good information about some testing at rcgroups by a member who's name is Joe
    he has way more experience that us put together.. and yes I have owned several TP packs and from my experience I own better packs for less
    Joe no longer uses TP packs because they don't put down the power of much cheaper packs today
    and he has had failures with them and the warranty never came through, and was one of the reasons he started the testing thread

again this is not my argument of my facts posted
    just posting some great information

my original post about someone else who has some great information about TP batteries

the thread

Thumbs up

Not at all
    because I was passing along some very good information about some testing at rcgroups by a member who's name is Joe.
    he has way more experience that us put together.. and yes I have owned several TP packs and from my experience I own better packs for less.
    Joe no longer uses TP packs in his EDF jets, because they don't put down the power of much cheaper packs that he owns now.
    and he has had failures with them and the warranty never came through, and was one of the reasons he started the testing thread.

again this is not my argument of my facts posted.
    just posting some great information.

my original post about someone else who has some great information about TP batteries.

the thread
    Last edited by Brushless55; 11-29-2015 at 03:39 PM.