Thread: Got the new shocker wet today...issues

Default Got the new shocker wet today...issues

Today was a beautiful day. Had to get out and run this thing. I decided to run it on 6s to start off with. Motor was supposed (more on that in a minute) to be about 1650kv from what neu told me. Custom wind 1527 .75y. So I run the boat. It looks fast. Make two short passes and I go to bring it in. Stopped dead in the water. So I bring it in. 62.0mph. Hmm. Little down from what I expected but you know how it is on the first run not tuned in. But there's more to it. I start figuring out why it stopped. Ended up being a dead battery. Ok. Stuff happens. I also had dropped that battery on one corner. So I chalked it up as my fault. Go home, get another battery. Make a pass. 92.7mph. What? On 6s. 1650kv. Yea no way. So I put some negative into the strut because it was flipping if I stayed in it to long. This motor just seemed to keep pulling. In the videos pay attention to how it kept accelerating. So anyway I made another pass with stru moved to keep it down better. Batts were at 4.00 on this pass. Went 84 and some change. Ok. So it's not a fluke. I'm on cloud 9. This thing is flying. And I've got lots more stuff to do to make it faster. I'm thinking it's gonna break 100 on 6s no problem. By why? Something kept telling me check the kv of the motor. So I did. 2900kv is what it checked at. Wtf? No. My checker has to be wrong. So I checked several other motors. Dead on. Checked and checked it again. 2900-3000kv is what it checked at. But it gets better. I pulled the data logs. Holy sheet! 205f temps. Over 10k watts. Almost 550 amps. And 58k rpm. No wonder it was fast. Now I'm bummed and pretty upset at neu right now. This is the second time they did this to me. They made it right the first time. It was a 1530 that was 2900kv. Evidently they like 2900kv for some reason because they keep sending me that. This could have gone pretty bad. But, this proves a swordfish 300 is a stout esc. I mean stout. This is same esc that was in my mono that got hammered by the 1530 2900kv on 6s. Still going. It either hates me or the thing is just a man! Lol

Here's a video where the strut was angled up too much. You can hear it still accelerating.

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Here's my last pass after tweaking on it a little to make it more stable.

So now I'm putting my 1500kv 1530 in it. Yes I verified the kv this time.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Holy crap T! Twice... I can't believe it. Thought they were an attention to detail kinda group. Should buzz a TP 4060 in there, say 2400kv.

Yea... just go with some TP's... Neu guy is prob getting old.

PS. My shocker is at bottom of lake... sort of like your Rivercat. Went under in 2 seconds flat! At least I was breaking about 105mph

I did add some pool noodles to it. And I'm going to add more. I just put a 1500kv 1530 in it. Should do well on 8s. I had quite a few flips today. After looking at some video footage it seemed like the motor would almost surge in power on the top end causing the front to lift and then flip. The correct kv shoukd come on harder the whole time and not have a "powerband" like a two stroke, so it will be easier to control. If I put a tp in it, it would be a 4070. I've got a brand new 1440kv 4070 so it would be pointless to use it vs the neu. It should do 70-75 on 6s. Eventually I'll work my way to 8s with it. Waiting on more props to try tho.

The 1.5p abc's are rather hard to dial in... without tons of crashes along the way :/

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    The 1.5p abc's are rather hard to dial in... without tons of crashes along the way :/

Yes they are. What happened to your boat?

(Sorry, I don't want to take over your thread but... :) )

It sank after a hard flip and lots of air time... it ended up landing on its feet but sank moment's later not until producing some smoke in the distance.

But today my little brother scuba dived for it and found it between a bed of water weed plants. Pics are below... as you can see it didn't take long before corrosion found its way into hull lol. :/ only about 1.5 days too.

T9Z31R.jpg

zqqs8u.jpg

AbLQ4W.jpg

Dang man! It's a good thing I reinforced it right there. I had some serious flips yesterday. As a matter of fact after the first flip I just didn't care anymore. If I lost it, I lost it. Won't be the first. I have lots of pics. Lol. The surprising thing is the hatch incurred no stress cracks. I did reinforce the crap out of it. I'm almost certain that's why my Rivercat sank. I've seen a couple non reinforced hatches fail here lately so I've been adding carbon in the screw hole area and then at least four more layers of heavy weave glass. I just got a few yards of aircraft grade Kevlar (very very nice stuff) and I'll do my next few hatches with it to see if it's stronger than the glass (has to be!)

That is insane that happened again. They should send you a free motor no return needed. Especially considering how many you've run. $ motor too...

kfxguy: Yea... wondering if i should try recovering/repairing the 2x sf300's and lipos... probably would be a good idea to remove shrink wrap on the lipos to dry them out completely before checking voltage/resistance, etc. Weird thing is that both 3s packs LOOK fine (as I had them sealed up with tape so I'm guessing water didn't get in much) but both of the 4s packs look puffy from same exact sides from one side only.

Btw, how far have you pushed your 4060's and 4070's ? Have you tried running either at 60k rpm before? Trying to figure out which pair would be best to use in my 45" mystic on 8s. I'd imagine using 4060's would be more efficient in comparison to the 4070's especially on 8s... so same prop, same voltage the 4070's would probably be that much more amp hungry due to its size right...
    Last edited by dmitry100; 11-17-2015 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iridebikes247 View Post
    That is insane that happened again. They should send you a free motor no return needed. Especially considering how many you've run. $ motor too...
    I agree but understandably they want the motor back to check it. Maybe I'll see if I can get it at a discounted price. I'll ask. But I'm still sending it back first so they know I'm not trying to pull a fast one on them.

kfxguy: Yea... wondering if i should try recovering/repairing the 2x sf300's and lipos... probably would be a good idea to remove shrink wrap on the lipos to dry them out completely before checking voltage/resistance, etc. Weird thing is that both 3s packs LOOK fine (as I had them sealed up with tape so I'm guessing water didn't get in much) but both of the 4s packs look puffy from same exact sides from one side only.

Fair warning to you. I don't chance messing with a questionable lipo. Not worth it. Could burn your house or garage down. Take you loss on those. The escs are coated very lightly but I take the shrink off all mine and check them. I have found a few bare areas. I recoat them to be safe. You may be ok. Worth a shot. Scrap the lipos unless you just like to live on the edge. I could be wrong but I don't think There's many tapes that stick good enough to be waterproof as long as your boat was under water.

Btw, how far have you pushed your 4060's and 4070's ? Have you tried running either at 60k rpm before? Trying to figure out which pair would be best to use in my 45" mystic on 8s. I'd imagine using 4060's would be more efficient in comparison to the 4070's especially on 8s... so same prop, same voltage the 4070's would probably be that much more amp hungry due to its size right...
    My buddy pushed his 4060 pretty far and it didn't last long. Single Genesis. 8s , 1770kv, 104mph. Motor came apart in a short time.

The longer motors like the 4060 are known to fail due to whip at high rpm with the 5mm shaft. An 8mm shaft solves that problem, a 4070 with 8mm shaft would be far better for "60,000 rpm". The longer can would also spin a bigger prop slower for better efficiency and better reliability.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

O I know. I advised against it.

Wouldn't a 4070 fall apart at 60k rpm quicker than a 4060 w/ 8mm shaft though? Due to the rotor coming apart due to higher centrifugal forces of a longer can...

Wouldn't a 4070 fall apart at 60k rpm quicker than a 4060 w/ 8mm shaft though? Due to the rotor coming apart due to higher centrifugal forces of a longer can...

More than likely. You can get a 4060 or 4050 with an 8mm shaft if you call or email them.

I wonder though what their efficiency is like though once you run them at 60k compared to 50k, etc.

I ran my 4050's at 60k (unloaded) on my twin and wasn't all that impressed... maybe my setup just wasn't up for the job. One thing for sure is that 10k more in rpm sure generates a heck of a lot more vibration though. But now that I think of it that could have been the bent 5mm shaft on 1 of the motors. lol. You guys think TP warranty covers bent shafts on their motors?

Kfxguy: BTW, I'm selling my CF Hatch from the Shocker in case you're interested.

I wonder though what their efficiency is like though once you run them at 60k compared to 50k, etc.

I ran my 4050's at 60k (unloaded) on my twin and wasn't all that impressed... maybe my setup just wasn't up for the job. One thing for sure is that 10k more in rpm sure generates a heck of a lot more vibration though. But now that I think of it that could have been the bent 5mm shaft on 1 of the motors. lol. You guys think TP warranty covers bent shafts on their motors?

Kfxguy: BTW, I'm selling my CF Hatch from the Shocker in case you're interested.
    Bent shaft. Yea that will vibrate. Lol. Thanks for the offer but I have two spare hatches right now lol

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Bent shaft. Yea that will vibrate. Lol. Thanks for the offer but I have two spare hatches right now lol
    Wasn't it this time last year we couldn't find a hatch if our lives depended on it buddy? LOL
    How are things progressing Travis? I have been outta town for a numbr of days. No cell service or nuttin'

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Wasn't it this time last year we couldn't find a hatch if our lives depended on it buddy? LOL
    How are things progressing Travis? I have been outta town for a numbr of days. No cell service or nuttin'
    I had Randy at bby make me a couple fiberglass ones. So I have the factory carbon one and another fiberglass one as spares. But yes I agree. They were hard to find.

I haven't done anything else with it. I ran it last weekend and it struggled to get 60 on 6s. The motor didn't even get warm tho. More prop and more voltage coming up. I do have a 4070 with the same kv that I'm going to compare once I get this one lined out on 8s. It did drive better since I made a better rudder bracket. No unexplained flips. I should get to the lake tomorrow with it and the new Rivercat. I finally finished it completely last night. I'm hoping for it to be a beast. It's got a 1527 in it. Lmao. If it's too much I have a 2050kv 1521 for it too. This one should be the fastest I've built. Hopefully. You know how that goes sometimes. Might end up being a stinky turd. Lol

Hope all goes great for you Trav. I have been meaning to ask, is there always that light breeze at the lake you run at? That chop is great for breaking a hull loose and if you can get something running both directions there you will be set for an event.