Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Promarine?

the last i will say for myself, my work ethic and my belief in MY PRODUCT. It is my name on this

HELL I'LL EVEN GIVE REFUNDS IF YOU DON'T LOVE IT OUT OF THE BOX. some adjustments might be needed. but within 15 minutes of tuning, you don't love it....ship it back to me.
    Now, about my reputation in rc boats?
    1. I haven't been doing this very long true. BUT, i have done more on real boats than most rc guys have done on their rc boats. I studied prop building, that helped my racing. I rigged boats, i raced them, i did bottom work.I use my head. and i am P-LIMITED CAT Class champ for 2 years in a row. not bad for a nobody
    2. You know what? These are no different than real boats.Water, aerodynamics , hydrodynamic and rpm. Its all the same big or small. We are pushing water with a rotating propeller.
    Im ready to take on the non believers. I put my heart, soul, blood and career on the line to build you something better than the rest .
    ‪#‎promarinerc‬ get yours or be behind one !
    beating amsoil boat. 1 race at a time !!!

Ask Doug Cambell about how they run. he's seen them every outing.

Quote Originally Posted by skater368 View Post
    the last i will say for myself, my work ethic and my belief in MY PRODUCT. It is my name on this

HELL I'LL EVEN GIVE REFUNDS IF YOU DON'T LOVE IT OUT OF THE BOX. some adjustments might be needed. but within 15 minutes of tuning, you don't love it....ship it back to me.
    Now, about my reputation in rc boats?
    1. I haven't been doing this very long true. BUT, i have done more on real boats than most rc guys have done on their rc boats. I studied prop building, that helped my racing. I rigged boats, i raced them, i did bottom work.I use my head. and i am P-LIMITED CAT Class champ for 2 years in a row. not bad for a nobody
    2. You know what? These are no different than real boats.Water, aerodynamics , hydrodynamic and rpm. Its all the same big or small. We are pushing water with a rotating propeller.
    Im ready to take on the non believers. I put my heart, soul, blood and career on the line to build you something better than the rest .
    ‪#‎promarinerc‬ get yours or be behind one !
    Way to stand behind your product. I thank you for the integrity and hopefully I will put one in my fleet sometime soon(kinda have hands full ATM).
    Shawn

watch this

her racing the last race of the season

Quote Originally Posted by skater368 View Post
    It's better than any previous esc they put out. I've been trying to make it fail. Push the limits so you guys don't have to. That's how I work.
    Give it to me, I will be your Huckleberry!
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by SD Eracer View Post
    For the HPR, I wanted a 6S setup with 2000kv but able to run the 180a ESC reliably, so the Leopard 4082 2000 4-pole was out. The SSS 4082 2000kv 6-pole seems to be a good fit for that based on my group's experiences with it.
    I don't understand this. Are you saying the SSS motor is a better option than the Leopard? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by keithbradley View Post
    I don't understand this. Are you saying the SSS motor is a better option than the Leopard? Why?
    For the 180a ESC on a single drive it has been a better motor, at least for our group. The 4-pole Leopard 4082 2000kv pulls too many amps on the Seaking/Turnigy 180a V3 when on 6S.

Based on a year's worth of our group's experience, the 6-pole SSS 4082 2000KV seems to be a lot less demanding on the ESC. We have had great luck with that motor teamed up with the Seaking/Turnigy 180a V3 on single drive boats, low temps, reasonable amp pull on the ESC.

I do know that the Leopard does do fine in a dual setup with the 180a, since two motors/escs are teaming to work together, but I rather not take any chances since the SSS seems to be a more "gentle" configuration when teamed up with the 180a, given me more opportunity to prop up in the future.

You sell the SSS 4082 2000kv as your "black motor" on your site correct? But its the 4-pole, not the 6-pole that OSE sells?

It would shock me if there was a true 6 pole SSS motor. When I was a team driver for them trying to develop a 6 pole spec motor they had NO 6 pole motors. I have some that came in boxes marked 6 pole so I asked................they ain't.
    Noisy person

Sorry Mike, I didn't mean to imply you were a nobody. You clearly have a racing background. Some of us knew that part.

Backing up your product the way you said you would is stellar too. Darn right commendable.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by SD Eracer View Post
    For the 180a ESC on a single drive it has been a better motor, at least for our group. The 4-pole Leopard 4082 2000kv pulls too many amps on the Seaking/Turnigy 180a V3 when on 6S.

Based on a year's worth of our group's experience, the 6-pole SSS 4082 2000KV seems to be a lot less demanding on the ESC. We have had great luck with that motor teamed up with the Seaking/Turnigy 180a V3 on single drive boats, low temps, reasonable amp pull on the ESC.

I do know that the Leopard does do fine in a dual setup with the 180a, since two motors/escs are teaming to work together, but I rather not take any chances since the SSS seems to be a more "gentle" configuration when teamed up with the 180a, given me more opportunity to prop up in the future.

You sell the SSS 4082 2000kv as your "black motor" on your site correct? But its the 4-pole, not the 6-pole that OSE sells?
    It's a 4-pole motor. It's a non hand-wound copy of the TP Power motor. I don't carry them (they were still shown on the site, but have since been removed). I ordered some at one point, but after asking the company whether the motor was a D or Y wind and getting the response "we don't know", I stopped selling them.

I'm not sure why you would have better luck with it than the Leopard. I wouldn't expect the Leopard to be a much more powerful motor, so I don't know how the SSS would effectively limit the current draw, but I guess if it works, it works.

Oh, and that MTI hull looks hot!

Well at least the sss motors look cooler than the leopards (just like the black color). I prefer tp myself when dealing with budget motors. They seemed to fix the few issues they have had. I'm starting to like them more and more.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

...I'm not sure why you would have better luck with it than the Leopard. I wouldn't expect the Leopard to be a much more powerful motor, so I don't know how the SSS would effectively limit the current draw, but I guess if it works, it works.
    They are both rated at 3500 watts peak, though the max amps are higher on the Leopard at 140 vs 118a on the SSS, then there is the poles, 4 vs 6, which I don't understand fully myself. Either way, it has been enough of a difference to smoke the ESC on a Genesis cat and run cool and reliably on a Ariane II mono, both with the exact same setup, batteries, and even props. You would expect a large mono to do worse vs a slim cat, but it was the opposite.

I should have the HPR running this Sunday, with this exact hull (TheShaddix old boat) running a pair of Leopard 4082 2000kv motors on 42mm props has done about 85mph. Really interested to see how she runs with the SSS motors.

On a side note, I'm a big fan of Leopard motors, my Pursuit has a 4082 1600kv and my Genesis 4092 1730kv. Great performance and solid reliability. Love the build quality and looks of them, while the SSS motors look kinda cheap, especially the wiring, but two of our seniors guys in our group love them and have had great luck with them.

So how much for just a hull

The confusion about the TFL SSS motor is a matter of terminology I believe.
    They are a 4 pole motor. That's 4 windings in the stator.
    But the ROTOR has 6 magnets (6 Poles) as opposed to most other motors that have 4 magnets in the rotor.
    It clearly states 6 pole ROTOR on the box.
    They claim an extra 20% torque. So if you are using the same size prop as with an equal sized & KV Leopard motor your temps & battery usage should be less, as is evident by what SD Eracer has stated.
    I've been a fan of the SSS motors for a long time.

It could also be that the SSS motor is labeled 2000kv but is actually putting out a tic less than 2000kv. Kinda like the Aquacraft. 2030 listing but not actually putting that out. If the SSS were even 100kv less that could/would make for a little better torque and less heat. Especially on 6s. Wild speculation on my part though.

2000kv is too many rpm for 6s but we've been through that a hundred times. We'll never agree on it. It always comes down to GPS guys arguing with heat racers.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    The confusion about the TFL SSS motor is a matter of terminology I believe.
    They are a 4 pole motor. That's 4 windings in the stator.
    But the ROTOR has 6 magnets (6 Poles) as opposed to most other motors that have 4 magnets in the rotor.
    It clearly states 6 pole ROTOR on the box.
    They claim an extra 20% torque. So if you are using the same size prop as with an equal sized & KV Leopard motor your temps & battery usage should be less, as is evident by what SD Eracer has stated.
    I've been a fan of the SSS motors for a long time.
    Are you sure we're taking about the same motor? The motor in question is a 4082 (not the larger 56mm motors that have always been 6 pole).

Are you sure we're taking about the same motor? The motor in question is a 4082 (not the larger 56mm motors that have always been 6 pole).

I think the motor in question is this one

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=sss-4082
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I think the motor in question is this one

In case I wasn't clear, the question was for Paul. I know we're taking about the 4082 (I stated that in my post). However, I want to be sure Paul is talking about the 4082 as well. If he has one with 6 magnets, that means that SD Eracer's initial thought that there were two different versions of TFL motors is correct.
    Before we go down "didn't you read the write-up" road, the answer is no; I don't consider product write-ups as gospel. An alarming amount of product information is incorrect, even from the manufacturer.

Hi Keith.
    Yep. Definitely talking about the 40 series motors. I've got a few of them now. They all said 6 pole 'Rotor' on the pack. Always seemed to be a stronger motor than the Leopards to me. I haven't pulled one apart to check it but I don't think they would make a false claim on the number of poles in the rotor when it is so easy to check.
    But as you know, a 6 pole rotor does not make it a 6 pole motor. It's the stator windings that determine that.

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    Hi Keith.
    Yep. Definitely talking about the 40 series motors. I've got a few of them now. They all said 6 pole 'Rotor' on the pack. Always seemed to be a stronger motor than the Leopards to me. I haven't pulled one apart to check it but I don't think they would make a false claim on the number of poles in the rotor when it is so easy to check.
    But as you know, a 6 pole rotor does not make it a 6 pole motor. It's the stator windings that determine that.
    If you have one on the shelf pop the end off!
    I'm curious now...it sounds like there are two versions of motors, or at least two versions of boxes.
    I got these motors before they were really as popular as they are now. The boxes they came in were very plain and didn't say much of anything. I have pulled one apart though, and it's 4 pole with 4 magnet strips. That makes sense to me since they told me they were machine-wound copies of TP motors.
    I'm curious if they have since sourced a different motor than what they were originally selling.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    It could also be that the SSS motor is labeled 2000kv but is actually putting out a tic less than 2000kv. Kinda like the Aquacraft. 2030 listing but not actually putting that out. If the SSS were even 100kv less that could/would make for a little better torque and less heat. Especially on 6s. Wild speculation on my part though.

2000kv is too many rpm for 6s but we've been through that a hundred times. We'll never agree on it. It always comes down to GPS guys arguing with heat racers.
    Hmmm, that could be the case as well. I've read how certain manufacturers will lower the kv than actually stated on the box. Though 785boats explanation of 6 pole rotors makes a lot of sense as well, maybe a bit of both?

I agree with you on the 2000kv on 6S for the most part, I prefer higher amps and lower kv, but these SSS motors in our club have been very good, even in non-SAW type applications like large sporting monos. The temps and amp pull have been very impressive, so much so that instead of fitting TP or Leopard on my HPR, I went with the SSS brand, something in the past I wouldn't have considered. Heck, I typically gave away the SSS motors that come stock with my TFL boats because I thought they looked suspect.

Keith.
    Seems your suspicions on the packaging is well founded.
    I just pulled the rotors on a 4082 2000kv motor & a 4092 1650 kv motor, & they are both 4 pole rotors. Needless to say I'm more than a bit disappointed in this.
    Unfortunately most people advertise them as a 6 pole motor. Even Steve here on OSE. Obviously the tech data comes from TFL.
    But the way that is written, it means 6 windings in the stator.

There are some "Team TFL" people here on this site that get hulls & motors etc from them for testing. Maybe they can get in touch with their contacts & find out the truth.

Now I'm curious. How did you pull the rotors? Besides removing the 4 bolts holding the barrel ends?

Use a pair of HD pliers with the jaws taped up to prevent marring the shaft. To be more careful I use a piece of lexan about 0.015" or 1/64" just the right size to wrap around the core so when you pull it out and replace the rotor, the coating does not get torn or freyed by the stator plates.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I actually got it off, looks to have 6 magnets on the rotor.

785Boats, how long ago did you buy that 4082, was it from Steven?

I saw his youtube and remarked... how is he stating you should see it on 6s with a 120 amp speedo? Is he running a 32mm prop lol... there is no way someone should be telling folks to run a boat reliably on a 2075kv supposedly kv anyway motor on 6s, and without question not on a 120a speedy???? 5s... no that's a different story... for the motor anyway... still will need a esc upgrade.

I do agree the boat is very sharp... I very much like the more scale appearance, and if it is 6s capapble with that 2075kv motor and the 120a esc.... guess it better be trimmed awful well, I still wouldn't run one with that motor on 6s, seems more appropriate motors for 6s operation that wont wear out your strut bushing after very little running.... just that kind of rpm isn't needed...
    Last edited by JMSCARD; 11-14-2015 at 03:20 PM.

That one was still in the box & I only bought it a month or so ago from R/C Boatbitz here in Oz. They can't be blamed though as it was still in the packaging from TFL which clearly states 6 pole Rotor. I'll send Joe an Email to see if there is anything that can be done with TFL.
    Good to hear that you have the 6 pole rotor though.

Sorry to hear about that man, but I'm sure Joe will make it right.

I'm currently at a ski resort here in Southern California, couldn't miss the first good snow days down here. Luckily though, I brought with me my motors and ESCs to do some soldering during our downtime, and was able to inspect the motors.

I kinda was certain they were 6 pole by how much resistance I was feeling rotating the shaft, quite a bit more than my 4-pole Leopards, which I assume is because of the additional magnets.

Have you had a chance to inspect those motors you are running? You seemed happy with the SSS motors you have, I wonder how many poles they have. If they are also 4-pole, then there is some other things going on that has made them more "gentle" than the Leopard 4-poles.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast