Thread: Neu bearings

Default Neu bearings

Any special tricks you guys know?

I ruined some bearings in a 1527 motor. Under water too many times.

I ordered some nice hybrids to replace them. Was wondering if any of you have tackled it before.

On the old hackers we used to put the bearings in the freezer and then install them cold.
    Noisy person

Big Hammer! or

You could use a drill press with a block of hardwood pushing it in place.

I like the drill press method
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Drill press with pressure on outer race only when putting in new ones. I heat up the endbells in the oven to 170* ONLY if they come off! I do put bearings in freezer for a couple hours too. Sometimes they can go in and out by hand.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I do remember it being important not to press against the balls............that doesn't read right.

Press against the outer race when pressing into the can and on the inner race when pressing onto the shaft.
    Noisy person

I've changed a few. They come out fairly easy. I didn't have to heat anything up. Clean up the pocket they go in and the outer part of the bearings with some brake cleaner. Light coat of red loctite and lightly tap them in. Nothing hard or complicated to it. Heating it up is just over complicating things.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Well that sucks. Finally gotaround to swapping out these bearings. The ones from OSE for a NEU don't fit my NEU.

Were there different bearings for different generations of these motors?

Both of mine are flanged bearings. The OSE ceramics aren't.
    Noisy person

I can find out for you tonight when I get home. Iirc the 8mm were few and far between in the flanged version. What size shaft?

O and yes, they had small ones (older) larger ones and flanged ones. These motors have evolved quite a bit. I've got (4) 1530's and a 1521 that were all custom winds and there's a couple more changes they did.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I just go on Boca's werb wrote to order replacements. I usually look at the bearings in motor first to check for flanges and check size to make certain I get the correct ones.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I have a .5y, a 1d, and a 1y and they are all different. One is 5mm so stands to reason. Then the 1y is basically brand new with maybe 2 runs on it.

The one I'm trying to replace the bearings in has the original smooth can from before the satin finishes. It does have an 8mm shaft though. Also has those miserable microscopic grub screws in the end bell. One of which I finally ended up drilling. Ugh.

Starting to think about not fixing the damned thing.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    I have a .5y, a 1d, and a 1y and they are all different. One is 5mm so stands to reason. Then the 1y is basically brand new with maybe 2 runs on it.

The one I'm trying to replace the bearings in has the original smooth can from before the satin finishes. It does have an 8mm shaft though. Also has those miserable microscopic grub screws in the end bell. One of which I finally ended up drilling. Ugh.

Starting to think about not fixing the damned thing.
    O I hate those! I won't even buy them for a hella good deal. Lol

Got it for free........ I think.

Fred swears we traded something but I don't think so. We have so much cross mojonation of equipment it's hard to tell where his rubbish ends and mine starts. He recently tried to sell a boat that he forgot belonged to me. hahaha
    Noisy person

That's some funny stuff! Lol

What's the measurements on the bearings. I looked and don't have any more of those older ones laying around. Maybe we can figure out what you need.

Email neu, they've helped me out before.

I'll put the calipers on them and figure it out. It's not a giant deal to figure out. I just have the wrong ones in my possession.
    Noisy person