Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ML BOATWORKS GSX 380 Q-Sport Build

The only motors I've sacrificed to the 'Smoke Gods' have been Leopards (three of them). The TP & the TFL SSS motors just keep on spinning.
    I must agree about the HET motors though. I've only got one of them, but it is very powerful & efficient. But a bit more expensive.

I don't think my TP 4070 1250kv is working as it should since I got it but I did heat it up a few times too much so, its my own fault. Now I'm running a HET in my Whip 40 but, only got out to run it once and it's nice. I've finally fixed all driveline issues that caused the heat in the first place. It was a great motor and I might send it back to see if it can be fixed at all.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by nichismo View Post
    MHZ version of the watercooled Scorpion 4035? Sincw its 1260kv
    That might be worth a try. Atomic sells something very similar in it's big RTR 6s cat. I've not experimented with that though.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    I don't think my TP 4070 1250kv is
    Ray, what kind of prop got it hot? Or do you think you had some binding?

One of our club members is running the next KV lower in a mono. We can turn a blade the size of Rhode Island. Might get to 100 degrees on a warm day. Mid 50 mph maybe. Super stable.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by Speed810 View Post
    Morning Mike.....Well I guess that pretty much answers my question....

I will have to say that I am having somewhat the same proboems with my 1527 1.5Y in the Elams 1/8 scale. Motor will come back at 140 to 150 and the esc at about 130. To me this is still to hot. I can only imagine the motor is actually getting hotter than that since it takes time to get the sub hatch out etc. Almost wondering if this might not be a better package to go with on a 10S setup in the 1/8 scale. But not sure I woud get the RPM out of it even witha 750kv Leporard.

What do you think?

Mike

if anyone remembers, the first motor I bought for my T5 was a 5698, and even though I sold it, ive been more and more interested lately in 56mm motors potentially for 1/8 hydros. The size was a huge issue for me at first, but now it seems like a minor hurdle to say the least.... the 2028 seems to perform pretty darn well from the few cases ive seen, and ive really been curious what a TP 5670 would do... probably too much power with that particular motor, but with an 8s setup and say, perhaps 700kv, itd be interesting to see?
    BIG BOY HYDROPLANES----My first RC boat and build project to boot: (and more content in my profile gallery!) ---- https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...proposed-setup

I think it was hurt early on with binding in driveline. Stuffing tube would shift and after I hit Zola in 2014 I ran another heat after not noticing the stuffing tube was crushed and binding badly! I went from 455 down to a M447 and still the heat is there.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Ray, what kind of prop got it hot? Or do you think you had some binding?

One of our club members is running the next KV lower in a mono. We can turn a blade the size of Rhode Island. Might get to 100 degrees on a warm day. Mid 50 mph maybe. Super stable.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Any more progress? I would love to see some pics! Mike
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Hey Mike....

Well with the holidays, Deer hunting and re-modeling a bedroom for my granddaughter it took up most of my November....LOL So not really a lot of work accomplished. But actually from the last set of picks...I did accomplish quite a bit...:) The center section top decking is in place, cut the fiberglass cowling to fit. Built up both sponsons and epoxied those to the center section. They fit like a glove...alignment was perfect.

Actually installed some of the bottom stringers on both sponsons, so they are ready to sheet and then install the foam and top sponson decking. Still need to give a coat of epoxy to the interior of the center section and will probably lay some light glass cloth in and around the motor and battery compartments. Don't really think a heavy carbon fiber is needed.

Trying to keep this boat a bit lighter than my 1/8 scale build....LOL

This boat actually goes together really quickly...so not in huge rush. There will be ice on the water soon...:)

Later

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

man I really want to build one of these
    BIG BOY HYDROPLANES----My first RC boat and build project to boot: (and more content in my profile gallery!) ---- https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...proposed-setup

Default Progress underway

Well took a break on my P-Sport boat. Waiting on more sticks and hardware.

So got back to work on the Q boat. Added some 1/8" sticks in the sponsons for more glue area and completed the skins on the bottom of the sponsons. Took a little longer, but I like to epoxy all the skins on instead of using CA.

Next will be doing some interior fiberglass work and epoxy sealing the interior. Hardware should be here shortly so I can start mounting things and get a weight idea.

Boat looks great. It's interesting to see all the sponson venting designs. The ML you have opens up the front and allows the air to essentially flow right through (like the whip 40). The whip20 blocks the air in front and opens up the outlet to reduce pressure underneath. The pearl P sport follows the same philosophy but opens up the exit even more with the angled bleeds to reduce even more pressure.

Any updates Mike?

God I have to be honest, at first, when compared to the first GP sport ML kits, I wasn't too fond of the overall aesthetics of the hull....

GSX380_02_1.jpg

But its grown on me so friggin much! I cant stop looking at photos of it! I just love it, it just looks so sleek, streamlined, and quick even when its not moving, out of the water!

I need to just buckle down and order one already!

Default Work on the 380 has finally picked up

Hey all.....

Finally have got back to work on the 380!! I know about time right....

Well all the hardware is mounted, motor mount and rails have been glassed and epoxied. Installed the Virginia Craftsman turn fin, filled the sponsons with expanding foam and epoxied the decks in place. Servo is mounted and water lines were routed.

Nic....Your right----after installing the decks and seeing the lines on this boat, it just looks fast even sitting on the work bench. Next I need to install the stuffing tube and compete the sealing of the interior. After that it will be ready for sealing, prime and paint.

I started test fitting the batteries, ESC, extra cap bank and battery connection plate. Also began some preliminary balance tests and it looks like its going to be right where it should be with plenty of room either way to move the batteries forward or back to zero it in.

So more to come as I move forward....

Can I ask what size batteries are they?

Looking GREAT!!!! The GSX310, 31" hull cowling molds are now done, and the kits are as well! Mike

GSX310 cowling:
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Great looking build!!! ML Boatworks does amazing work and such attention to detail. I'm building two boats right now but my next boat will definitely be from ML. I am a cabinet maker so wood kits are kind of my thing!Lol... Look forward to your progress

Thanks Blandon...it's getting there!

Boatnutz...the batteries are 2 4500mah 6S packs that will be hooked up in paraelle.

Quote Originally Posted by Blandon View Post
    Great looking build!!! ML Boatworks does amazing work and such attention to detail. I'm building two boats right now but my next boat will definitely be from ML. I am a cabinet maker so wood kits are kind of my thing!Lol... Look forward to your progress
    Thanks Mike...it's coming along really well. Any input on the ESC location? Did you end up locating yours up front?
    Great to hear about the 310. Definitly will look at one soon here. Love building these boats!

Man how the heck does he manage do pull this stuff off??

Not only does he knock it out the park with the first ML sport kits, then he somehow tops those off immensely by creating a new boat that not only looks AND performs better, but is also stronger and MUCH easier and convenient to build (not saying the original sport kits were difficult by any means either)!!

Mind=Blown

Dudes a genius!!

and judging by the looks of his ever expanding quality of fiberglass parts, if he steps into the glass hull game....... well.... we gotta ask if thats even going to be fair to the other manufacturers out there!

Default Little more progress

Evening guys!

Well I have been trying to plan my time a little better seeing that I have 2 boats on the table. Found that with a little pre-planning I have been able to make some good progress on both. The Pearl is about ready for prime and paint.

I completed the motor and stuffing tube install. As with most of my builds I take some west system epoxy and mix in a good amount of west systems 404 filler and fair in all the inside corners and seams. Using a little lacquer thinner on your finger you can smooth it out to the point where very little sanding is required. Then went over the whole boat inspecting for any imperfections such as where the bulkheads fit down into the bottom of the boat and of course small scratches or dents in the wood.

Final sanding has been completed and its now ready for its epoxy sealing coat.

As with my P-sport boat I decided to stick with HOK products for the prime and paint. I'll be doing this with the KD3000 epoxy primer and finishing with a Emerald Green Pearl and a couple coats of clear.

Can't wait for the race season to start.......

Mike

Default Epoxy sealing complete

The epoxy sealing coats were finished last night on the 380. Love this West System epoxy. Went with the slower hardener for the sealing process this time and thinned slightly with lacquer thinner.

Tonight spent about 2 1/2 hours sanding the whole hull down with 120 and then 320 for a real nice finish. Will wipe the hull down with HOK KC10 that is a grease/wax/silicone remover before priming. It also pulls out any left over sanding particles so you have a good surface for adhesion.

So I'll be putting up the paint booth on Sunday morning and getting ready for the prime and paint work. Really excited to see this emerald green pearl on this boat. I know the wife is.....she picked it out.....lol

Mike

Default Zing !

Wow, that looks nice and clean.. Great job man !
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Looking good Mike.
    We've got a couple of these racing at our club now. They are magic in the rough conditions.
    Both were built by John who also builds Scale R/C Jets. His attention to detail during construction is outstanding. Just like yours is.

Thanks guys for the cudo's..... This 380 is really so easy to build and when you get done it is one solid boat. Mike has out done himself with this boat.
    Will be ordering the 310 later this summer to have another P-sport boat in the fleet. If the TP motor in the Pearl holds out, I'd like to put the same power in the 310 and compare the two.

Also will be looking at building another 1/8 scale this fall. Now that I have learned so much more from you guys, I'm thinking with my revised building techniques I will have this next 1/8 scale coming in a lot lighter than the Elam's boat. But still a lot of guys are saying that a 20lb. 1/8 scale is not that far off.

Prime Booth is back together and will be priming the 380 tonight.

Mike

Looking great!!!! Can't wait to see the paint job!

Hi Mike.
    What new 1/8 scale are you thinking of building?

I'm not trying to talk you out of it but you might find the GP310 a tad small for your full P spec racing. The GP335 is possibly a better option in race water at those speeds.
    I run the GP310 in our 'Restricted' class, which is the Proboat or Aquacraft 1500kv motor & the 45A ESC. Very fast in that class with an X645 or X447 prop.
    I have raced it in that format in full our full open EA class (your P class) It was a bit slower than the other boats of course, but the choppy race water created by the bigger boats really affected the smaller hull. Just something to consider. But it is a magic little hull.

Hi Paul..

Its actually Mikes new GSX310 designed off the 380. Its a 31" hull with the same air bleed design and I believe a bit wider sponson stance that hopefully would give it a bit more stability in rougher water. But I'll be watching it for a bit during the summer and watch the test runs to see how it performs.

Not sure of the 1/8 scale build as yet.....I am leaning toward ML Boatworks Newton 108/ MHR 7025 in the 1975 Miss Bud or the Miss Squire Shop Boat. Seems to be a very stable boat and the lines are really sleek. The wife wants me to build it in the Miss Bud....LOL She loves that boat....HAHAHA!

If it is more stable, then it will certainly be a little rocket. I'm running one of the original hulls. I look forward to seeing the progress on it when you get started.

The Budweiser is a cool boat in all it's various forms.
    John, at our club has just finished this one. Hasn't even had its first race yet. He did a stunning job on it. His skills come from building large scale jets.

That's one beautiful boat right there. Wow....John does some great work!!
    That is the boat right there that I am looking at building for my next project. Is that an ML Boatworks boat?

Did John have a build thread somewhere so to take a look at it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast