Thread: HPR 135 motor options

Default HPR 135 motor options

I'm planning on building an HPR 135 over the winter months. I'll be using either MGM 25063's or SF300 lites for controllers. Now I've been all over the place figuring out what I want to use for motors, TP 5660, leopard 5692, Lehner 3040, etc. I know the obvious choice here but I'd like a few opinions on what you have used and what you would recommend. I will be running 10s for SAW and 8s sport. Would like your opinions on motor, and KV rating. Thanks all

What speed you shooting for? I've run every big can tp, leopard, and 1530s too. The tp 5850 is without question the most powerful. With the budget big can motors you're balancing speed and motor/esc life constantly. I ran the 5692s 1000kv and with 57s and weak 11s, around 91 mph. The 5850 had the same 11s setup when lipos were new and speed was impressive. Your boat will turn a 465 red. With the leopard 5692, 1090kv. If you want over 100 mph and want this consistently i think you'll be disappointed with the budget motors. I run my 3040s at 40k loaded and they don't heat up, they just work and they were worth every penny. You can go fast with 5692s but even at their max they'll be slower than an lmt, less smooth, and more likely to explode. I love the tp motors, leopard too and run them in everything except big can suitable setups. Hope this helps!

100+ mph is my goal on 10s. I know the LMT's are the best but man $1,200 for a set is pricey. I have the LMT 1950's in my HPR 115 and yes they're smooth and efficient. Thanks for your input, just trying to get some ideas of what people have ran and their opinions.

Yeah I hear ya, they're a lot of $.

I know a lot of guys have run TP 5850 1150kv on 10s, Manuel ran it with sf300s in a bandit and I think got 110-112 mph with big props. I was a big fan of the TP 58 series but can also say it is much, much harder on escs than the 4 pole leopards.

I think the 5692 1090kv is the safest motor, next would be the tp 5850 1050kv, and last the tp 5850 1150kv. The last one will be the fastest but of course will be closest to cooking. TP motors were strong for awhile then a bunch had "bad rotors," which turned a lot of people away, I should know I burned 3 of them.

Like I was saying I like the TP and Leopard motors, but when I cooked the TP it also took out of my swordfish 300 which made it a $500 day, that pushed me to LMT. I'm not sure if the boats below worked for many seasons, the mystic with the leopards has titanium sleeved rotors, done to a small number of 5692s a few years back. A lot of guys running the wicked rpm 58-series motors cooked them and never turned back, but it looks like Jurgen gave them a try. One thing is for sure I would not pair an mgm to a TP. Videos are cool and fun to watch, never know what happens after though lol.

Another thing. 457 is about as big as I'll run to a 3/16" shaft. The 465 is awesome reduced but puts the prop shaft at risk, good chance it'll snap. The 470 red. would be good since its 1/4" hub. If it was my boat

Tp 5850 1000-1050kv, 10s, 470 red. prop. The non lehner 6 pole motor will cook from rpm before load. I think the setup listed will be the best balance of risk and speed. I ran 12s with 920kv and 465 red. to 60, the motors handled the extra prop no problem, power is pretty extreme from this motor tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUBTXzuWUl8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjkgr_gLAaI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5YysGMAVeM

Thanks man, I appreciate all the help.. Keith also suggested I try the LMT 2280's which should keep me under the 25lb limit for IMPBA if I decided to run it at an event. I may just bite the bullet and go with LMT

Also thanks for the video links I'll be checking them out