Thread: New prop: Is this a crack?

Default New prop: Is this a crack?

I started roughing out a new prop tonight and uncovered lines that look like cracks. Maybe they're casting marks? This is the second x455 I've worked on and the first one definitely didn't have these types of marks. The front of the blade goes from the hub to the leading edge and I think the rear of the blade does the same thing but its hard to tell. The lines do not match up front to back like a crack all the way through the blade might. Should I continue finishing or get a replacement?

Kind of tough to get pictures of:
    IMG_9867 (Medium).JPG IMG_9868 (Medium).JPG IMG_9870 (Medium).JPG IMG_9871 (Medium).JPG

Looks like mold lines to me is that a SS prop?
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

No it's a regular beryllium copper Octura. Thanks for your reply.

Cool

Octura doesn't make SS props. That looks like surface checking to me, I've seen similar on other Octura props. However they should disappear with some surface sanding.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Is it on both sides of the blade and in line with each other? If so it's possible for it to be a crack. If it has those on both sides but don't line up, I doubt it is.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

It's on both sides but they don't line up. I guess I'll keep working on it! Thanks guys.

if it's on both sides I would not use it,,,you might find there are more cold pour joints under there also !

I found a couple more lines that I hadn't noticed. I talked to Octura and they asked me to send it back. Thank you guys for the help.

Just a quick follow up: I sent the prop to Octura and they replaced it without hesitation and also included a free drive dog and prop bullet nut. Good service and nice people.

IMG_9966 (Medium).JPG

The best!
    Nortavlag Bulc