Thread: Burned caps

Default Burned caps

Well I was running my twin on 6s each motor and at the end of the lipo the caps on one of the ESC were sizzling ,so I'll go match them and replace ,does this mean I need to add a cap bank ?

It may be a good idea. It is the best insurance.

Cap banks aren't an end all or a solution to a bad setup. If your burning caps then something else is going on.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Capacitors have a service life, how much use did they have? Was the other ESC hot too? Otherwise hot caps can mean too much amp draw, inadequate packs, power wires too long, high resistance connectors, etc. Too, the way you drive can heat them up. Lots of tight turns will stress the inside motor/ESC. So will lots of acceleration cycles from low speed or from a stop. ..
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I was going to ask about the easy cheap fix, such as how long are your wires? Shorter the better.

These are 35 V 390 uf,2 of them ,plus out of the ESC is a set on leads ,I need to replace the 2 small ones ,on the forum about caps it says to replace the stock ones then add others ,last time this happened to a sea King I just put in one 1000 uf from the OSE store ,is that a no no ? Can I just install that castle bank right there on the main leads instead of the small ones first then the castle bank ? Thoughts please ,thanks

Also I think the salt water got to them ,the other side was sealed ,the side that was burned I sprayed corrosion X into ,

I am not sure if you can just add a cap bank and scrap the factory ones. In my mind you should but I haven't tried it yet. Actually haven't had a need to, I have never blown a cap. Just lucky I suppose. And on that note, your wires?

I read the entire post on caps ,and it said to replace the stock burned caps then add more,but these are so little I'm hoping they won't matter ,these are in a block that solders right into your battery leads ,same as the castle block ,but if I do it to one I have to do it to both ,it's a twin ,on a single I removed these same caps ,again salt water got them I think,and installed the 1000 uf from OSE ,and it works fine ,on the cap forum it says a bunch of small caps are better than a few large ones because they re charge faster ,just don't understand why I would need these little 390 uf caps on my battery leads if I'm installing the castle system ,anyone? Also any ideas on 200 A ESC? Trying to get some better input ,thanks