Thread: 1/10 scale turn fin rule proposal

Default 1/10 scale turn fin rule proposal

I can't help myself with regards to the 1/10 vintage rule proposal we're now voting on.

Would it have been so difficult to include a diagram that defines what a hooked turnfin/skidfin is and isn't? As it is, the rule change doesn't fix anything since it references a trait that hasn't been defined anywhere in the rule book.

The way it's written still leaves the interpretation up to the individual CD and what their personal view of a hooked turnfin/skidfin is.

If we're going to spend the time/effort/resources to write rule proposals, lets do a complete job and definitively fix things.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

amen

I am glad we are finally addressing this rule. PLEASE lets do it right and make it a concrete rule without interpretation. Brian, ' YOOOU CAN DO IT'

Personally I find it comical that the change needed to be made at all.

One guy at one race 5 years ago pushed the rule and was forced to comply with the intent despite that intent not being conveyed through the text. He never raced the class again. Problem solved.

I haven't read the proposal yet. Not my yob. Is it still going to be unclear? If it's going to be a "oh, you know what we meant" rule then Brian is right.
    Noisy person

Probably should read the rule, unless your not going to vote on it anyway. May help keep someone from coming to a race and told to change their turnfin before they can race.

why cant it just be said straight?? I voted on it btw..no hooks..no bends..just straight??

Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    ..no hooks..no bends..just straight??
    The fact that you had to put a question mark there, that's the problem. All the effort of a rule change and it still doesn't define what is and isn't legal.

No hooks, can it have a sharp bend? Can it be bent above the waterline? Does the skidfin have to be parallel to the sponson mounting surface? Lot's of turnfin/skidfin questions that could have been defined with a simple diagram.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

I agree..really didn't change anything..no diagram or actual rules written saying straight..

Lets see! Place a 90* ruler on the bottom of the boat and run it straight up the skid fin. It should be flush with the ruler from the bottom of the ride pad to the top of the skid fin. No bending or CANTING

Quote Originally Posted by G.Rose View Post
    Lets see! Place a 90* ruler on the bottom of the boat and run it straight up the skid fin. It should be flush with the ruler from the bottom of the ride pad to the top of the skid fin. No bending or CANTING
    No offense Gary, but if that is how the rule reads in the proposal; that is not a very clear rule.

That's the issue. It doesn't say that at all. It's another meaningless line added to a rule set that reads like the federal tax code.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

I've had my share of rule discussions with the higher ups, and just because I interpret something one way, it doesn't mean I'm interpreting it the RIGHT way.

Here's the word track I get: Words mean different things to different people. And, the NAMBA rulebook has certainly had hundreds of people's "hands" involved during it's existence.

Certainly no excuse for poorly written rules (and I'm not saying this one is poorly..or perfectly worded), but I find it best to take an interpretation approach that is "most common/reasonable". Then, if you feel the need, either propose a fix or contact your District Director/NAMBA Exec Office and see if they are up for a defined interpretation. They've done this before.

This proposal did cross my desk, and it seemed fine to me, but I did email back to get clarification on "CANTING" because the current rule and proposal don't address it and it's been a topic of many conversations.

Why is canting not addressed? Because canting is legal (I have to say IMO as I don't/can't interpret rules unless I'm a CD, but I do base my opinion on the written rule AND detailed email conversations with the author).

If this rule passes and I'm either CD'ing an event or asked for an opinion, the fin needs to meet a straight edge test (minus relief for sharpening) @ the ride surface bottom and below. It doesn't matter if the straight edge is canted when tech'ing the fin.

As many know, Dist 8 is hosting the NAMBA Nat's next summer. Big scale entries, I'm sure. I don't know if it was planned or not, but I think the timing of this proposal is important to get this in check before the event.

Whether it's worded perfectly or not is a matter of opinion, but I feel a reasonable interpretation can be made (assuming it passes) regarding what constitutes a legal Vintage turn fin.

Quote Originally Posted by raptor347 View Post
    I can't help myself with regards to the 1/10 vintage rule proposal we're now voting on.

Would it have been so difficult to include a diagram that defines what a hooked turnfin/skidfin is and isn't? As it is, the rule change doesn't fix anything since it references a trait that hasn't been defined anywhere in the rule book.

The way it's written still leaves the interpretation up to the individual CD and what their personal view of a hooked turnfin/skidfin is.

If we're going to spend the time/effort/resources to write rule proposals, lets do a complete job and definitively fix things.
    A scale turn fin rule? Can someone post this rule proposal, my curiosity has gotten the better of me.......
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

Quote Originally Posted by don ferrette View Post
    A scale turn fin rule? Can someone post this rule proposal, my curiosity has gotten the better of me.......
    After posting I realized that I should have read the rule first... 1/10 scale in NAMBA takes scale to a different level (not bad, just different). Especially, the vintage class.

http://namba.com/content/library/bal...015_ballot.pdf

Proposal #2

Quote Originally Posted by G.Rose View Post
    I am glad we are finally addressing this rule. PLEASE lets do it right and make it a concrete rule without interpretation. Brian, ' YOOOU CAN DO IT'
    Not me! If I had my way they would turn the same direction as every other R/C race boat and use the 1/8th scale hardware/racing rules.

Being that I live here in scale land and get to deal with some of it, all I ask is that the rules be well written when changes are made. We are talking the National rule set not a local club deal.

Besides, the great big gray areas are fun to play in. The new vintage boat I'm helping with design/setup is going to be very interesting.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Does "hooked turn fin" mean a shark fin shape? Terrible wording, I'm voting NO - let the rule be re-written for the next set of ballots in 2016..
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by raptor347 View Post
    If I had my way they would turn the same direction as every other R/C race boat and use the 1/8th scale hardware/racing rules.
    WHAT?? A consistent rule set? Blasephemy, simple blasephemy.... (I couldn't find the tongue in cheek emjoi)
    Last edited by RayR; 10-17-2015 at 05:13 AM.

Yer over think'n it Brian. The incident that is mentioned as the inspiration for the change happened 5 years ago. Hasn't surfaced since?

I had read the rule prior to this proposal. Haha I had the time. The guy that hooked his fin was on the road with me for 46 hours that week.

If we had that simple "no hook" phrase from the onset the rule would never have been questioned. We ain't building watches here.
    Noisy person