Thread: Voracity strut nose coming loose

Default Voracity strut nose coming loose

Has this happened to anyone else? The nose of the strut is a separate piece and somehow it keeps working itself forward on the stuffing tube. It is a very tight fit in the strut but still separates itself. I had to take the strut off to get the nose back on and then it had already come loose again after 30 seconds of running. What causes this? I was thinking of Loctiting it into the strut body.

IMG_9677 (Medium).JPG IMG_9678 (Medium).JPG IMG_9679 (Medium).JPG

Loctite will do the trick. Same thing happens on some GEICO struts. Steve sells 638 retainer loctite, works well.
    Nortavlag Bulc

CA also works well. Make sure its the thin stuff.
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

I'm having the same problem I tried the 638 lock tight also I tried thin ca it still came apart.also I have lost 4 prop nuts double nuted and lock tighten any ideas on what to do about both problems

I loctited my strut nose with Loctite retaining compound and it came loose again. I only let it dry for around 24 hours so that may have been my problem. I need to try it again. Getting it clean is a little tough but I thought I did a good job. I am using these lock nuts from OSE: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=ose-8135 . They are very tight on the shaft threads but you might want to double check with OSE to make sure they fit the stock Voracity threads. I am using the OSE HD flex. The nuts are not nyloc type lock nuts. They are tighter. I actually never had a problem losing prop nuts on the stock flex but I did have a problem finding the correct nut that didn't have a huge outside diameter.

Did you ever get a permanent fix for this problem

Hey Paul. Yes my nose cone has not come off since I very slightly bent my stuffing tube up. My theory is that the stuffing tubes aren't pointed up enough to run the strut as high as we are running it. So the flex cable rubs on the inside of the nose cone and that causes it to come off. I think it might also cause flex shaft failure but I'm not sure about that. It doesn't take much upward bend at all. I'm talking about an almost imperceptible bend up. Be careful not to go to far. Since I did this to my boat and loctited the nose cone on, it has not come off again and it's been many runs since. I tried Loctite only and the nose cone came off.