Thread: How to remove stuffing tube?

Default How to remove stuffing tube?

Is there an easy way to get the stuffing tube out or bend it back straight ? I think my stuffing tube might be a little bent cause when i push my flexshaft in it goes in smoothly until I get to the stub part then I kinda have to push hard to get the rest of it in so i believe that there is someresistance there and that's where my flex shaft broke. My flex shaft came apart where they weld the cable to the stub shaft. Any ideas guys?
    Last edited by paulfromtulsa; 09-26-2015 at 10:06 AM.

Take the teflon liner out if it has teflon, heat it up with a torch or heat gun to soften the glue holding it in, pull it out with a pair of pliers.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Soldering iron on the brass tube. Heat it up and it will pull out. If your hull is painted, be careful using a heat gun, it will bubble the paint.
    "There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

I too use an old soldering iron on the tube to soften the epoxy, tube simply pulls out.

Awesome thanks guys! What should i use to to reattached? Epoxy?

Gap filling CA works better than epoxy, IMO. That is how I built the very first one and never had it break loose. Depending on what epoxy you use, it can become brittle with time and break away, little by little.

The only way I'd use epoxy is with micro balloons or shredded fibers, to add strength.
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez View Post
    Gap filling CA works better than epoxy, IMO. That is how I built the very first one and never had it break loose. Depending on what epoxy you use, it can become brittle with time and break away, little by little.

The only way I'd use epoxy is with micro balloons or shredded fibers, to add strength.
    Rafael I have a new voracity that the stuffing tube has broken away from the epoxy and slid forward 1/8 inch or so.
    IMO its no fault of ProBoat because, I had this boat in the LHS to remove a tore up flex shaft recently and when they describe the process the used to remove it I knew they had to of did damage. The service tech /owner Steve at HobbyTown USA said he has one guy hold the boat while he pulled the tore up shaft out. he said it took a lot of force. I just cringed at the thought of what these guys did to my new hull. The transom is showing cracks too .
    SO< on to my question for you Rafael, can the epoxy be re epoxied or do I have to remove old epoxy and start over?

Man, sorry to hear about the experience.

I would recommend removing and starting with fresh epoxy/resin.
    Rafael Lopez

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez View Post
    micro balloons to add strength
    Really? I thought micro balloons was an additive to aid in sanding. Cabosil (silica) would be a better choice. Even better would be to use GFlex and add silica if you need to help with sagging.

Quote Originally Posted by rickwess View Post
    Really? I thought micro balloons was an additive to aid in sanding. Cabosil (silica) would be a better choice. Even better would be to use GFlex and add silica if you need to help with sagging.
    Really not a aid to help in sanding but used with different glues to be a filler or puddy like paste like bondo ! you can use it with ca also it will help it kick and add some reinforcing properties

Quote Originally Posted by rickwess View Post
    Yes, the resin we use in our boats, starting with the V3 boats, has an additive that my vendor calls "white powder". If you ever try and chip that stuff out, you will see how much strength it adds. Any "fibrous" material added to a bonding material will add strength.

It also makes it so you can sand it easily, if you needed to.
    Rafael Lopez