Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ** New Zelos 48 Brushless Large Scale Cat From Pro Boat**

Default ** New Zelos 48 Brushless Large Scale Cat From Pro Boat**

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to share with you our latest offering. Promo video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HJNncLGYcs

Product Page http://www.horizonhobby.com/zelos-48...--rtr-prb08017

Key Features:

Powerful 56mm × 87mm 1000Kv, 6 Pole water-cooled high-torque motor
    Formidable water-cooled 160A ESC capable of handling up to 8S LiPo power
    Authoritative 1/5-scale high-torque servo
    Precision hull constructed from triple layered fiberglass
    Twist-lock canopy
    Aluminum running hardware and metal propeller
    Spektrum™ DSMR DX2e transmitter included
    High impact graphics help the Zelos stand out
    Waterproof electronics
    Boat stand included
    Needed To Complete

2× 3–4S LiPo Batteries W/EC5™ Connector
    Li-Po Battery Charger
    4× AA Batteries

SPECS:

Scale: 48-inch
    Completion Level: Ready-To-Run
    Length: 48 in (1245mm)
    Beam: 17.3 in (440mm)
    Hull Height: 9.5 in (241mm)
    Weight: 12.5 lb (7.5kg)
    Motor Size: 6-pole 1000Kv 56×87mm
    Speed: 55+ mph with 8S Li-Po
    Radio: Spektrum DX2E
    Speed Control: Dynamite 160A HV 2S-8S
    Hull Material: Fiberglass
    Trimscheme Colors: Orange, Gray, White
    Propeller Size: 1.4×1.90 and 1.4×2.0
    Hull Type: Catamaran
    Recommended Battery: 2 × Dynamite Reaction 11.1V (3S) or 14.8V (4S) 5000mAh 50C Li-Po with hardcase and EC5 connector
    Drive System: Flex shaft
    Steering: In-line rudder with break away
    Approximate Assembly Time: No assembly required

I have a bash video that is loading now. I will post it as soon as it's loaded to Youtube.

Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

very nice any idea on an eta

Quote Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
    very nice any idea on an eta
    Website says November.

It's on the water today. Shipping boat usually takes 5 weeks, 4 if the water currents are in our favor.
    Rafael Lopez

I'll give you PB guys credit....T Cat, Q Mono...nice line of P boats.... Aquacraft is falling behind.

I asked on the other thread...is there any difference between the Rockstar hull and this one (other than paint)?

Sorry, I missed your answer.

The hull is the same, the canopy is different.
    Rafael Lopez

I wanted to ask here as I seen you said in another forum a good set up would be running 6S or 8S in parallel, what mA size packs would you recommend for this boat?

Rafael, do you have any pictures of your battery setup and a picture of the bottom?

got the email today on this....all i can say is wow

Minimum size packs are 5000mAH@50c. The boat has so much room that you can configure them how you like, for no more than 8s, total voltage. Hope that makes sense.

Here is the bottom.

I'll post a picture of different battery configurations tomorrow.
    Rafael Lopez

Rafael do you feel like the 160 amp is sufficient on 8s? Any temp readings from your runs

Yes, it it more than enough. The system runs between 125-135*, on 8s, with the larger of the 2 props it comes with; 1.4x2.0(x452). The system pulls between 120-130 amps, continuous and I've seen speeds up to 57 MPH. It's even more efficient with the smaller 1.4x1.90(x448) with speeds just over 50.

Almost a year ago I got 10 of these ESC to test. I tested all 10, but I am still running the original one I started testing with. We rate our ESCs at 80% of their total amperage, so 160 is the max recommended continuous amperage. I do not recommend running the ESC at more that 160amps.

The ESC has over volt and over amp protection. It will shut down if it sensed more than 8s or over 160 continuous amps. The max KV is 1200 on 8s.
    Rafael Lopez

Awesome boat going to be saving up for this one.

Great!
    AquaCraft UL-1 59mph.
    Motley Crew 61mph.
    JAE 21FE ~~~ 70 MPH Club ~~~

I'm interested in future purchase of this craft. I'm concerned with how available parts will be though. I'm currently waiting over a month for a canopy for my voracity (went submarine and folded it in half first run out). I was told they'd be available by mid-end September and now we're here and still no eta.

Quote Originally Posted by gfmarlin88 View Post
    I'm interested in future purchase of this craft. I'm concerned with how available parts will be though. I'm currently waiting over a month for a canopy for my voracity (went submarine and folded it in half first run out). I was told they'd be available by mid-end September and now we're here and still no eta.
    Whatever the excuse is for not having them yet, it doesn't make your situation better. Do you still have your damaged canopy? If so, I can send you a canopy from one of my sample boats that will allow you to end the Boat season. At least this way you can continue running.

It has no lock or pins. You'd have to make sure you tape very well, or you can pull the pins and lock off your old one. PM me if you're interested in having me send this to you.
    Last edited by Rafael_Lopez; 09-25-2015 at 06:51 PM.
    Rafael Lopez

Rafael that is the best customer service i have ever heard just wanted to let you know that.

Rw442, Thank you. Good products sell themselves. Good customer support creates life long customers.

We have several Core Values. My favorite is: "Respect.-We are humble and treat others the way we should like to be treated."

I do no more than what I'd expect any company do for me.
    Rafael Lopez

[QUOTE=Rafael_Lopez;643454] If so, I can send you a canopy from one of my sample boats that will allow you to end the Boat season. At least this way you can continue running.

That is an awesome gesture! Zelos looks great, I've got some large gas cats and monos but have always wanted a big FE cat!!

Why didn't they put the strut on the transom?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Long winded answer. Grab some popcorn, lol.

The first boat did have the strut on the transom. We all know the strut is an extension of the hull. It can either hurt or help the attitude, if the boat carries enough weight to reap the benefits. The original hull, which Darin now has, had a sized up version of the 29" cat hardware. Beautiful hardware. The boat bounced horribly, and grabbing more than 1/2 throttle was impossible without it flipping backwards. The unwritten rules say that it you need more than 4* of negative to keep the nose down, you have a set up problem. Well what I had was a boat that needed at least 3 more pounds of weight to keep the nose down, with that gear. This presented a problem with the cost of the hull. Yes, it would have been bulletproof, but far too heavy. requiring more than a 160a ESC.

Placing the strut in the same location as the Rockstar 48 lifts the transom, allowing the boat's attitude to be more predictable to CG changes. It no longer blew over backwards over 1/2 throttle. I've had it as high as 62 mph on 8s. With this strut there is no real positive angle adjustment, because the boat doesn't need it. It does however react well to the, up to, 2 degrees to negative angle the strut allows. It weights around 16 pounds with no batteries. It's the same thickness hull as the Rockstar 48, but is much lighter because of the difference in the power train.

Hope that helps explain why.

If it were a narrower hull all this wouldn't have presented such a problem during development, but then again, it wouldn't handle as well as it does. Just like the 29" hull, full throttle turns around the buoy are no problem. Our hulls tend to "drift" around corners at WOT, rather than hook, and roll. I mention this because a wide tunnel hull will have more lift, by design, which is what I was fighting during development with the strut on the back.

If the boat does well and it eventually needs to revamp, I will experiment with square bottom struts which provide more lift and act kind of like a trim tab. Worst case, I'll square off the bottom of this strut, as a running change, and call it good.
    Last edited by Rafael_Lopez; 09-26-2015 at 07:52 PM.
    Rafael Lopez

Great job Rafael !
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez View Post
    Our hulls tend to "drift" around corners at WOT, rather than hook, and roll. .
    I was running a FE Rockstar 48 conversion today and it certainly "drifts" around the corners...takes some getting used to at first.

Rafael i have a friend with the rockstar boat that wants to trade me hulls when the zelos comes in. Will the electric and gas stuff swap Pretty easily?

Interesting, thank you for the answer Rafael!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Rafael, what size flex is in the Zelos? What size prop shaft?

1/4 flex with prop shaft machined down to 3/16; strut is 1/4" prop shaft stub is 3/16". I decided to go this route because most 1/4" props are way too much for this boat. The motor would have been 1/2 the KV powered by 12s/+. This opened up options to a unlimited assortment of propellers and lowed me to keep voltage at 8s.
    Rafael Lopez

Awesome! The Catamaran looks great! I am loving these larger offerings recently! Great work!

This hobby is seriously beginning to cut into my 'hot rod' restoration allocated funds! Haha!

So, Rafael,... any comment on a 48" Deep V based on the Voracity?! I am extremely impressed with the 36" hull, but a 48" offering would be able to handle some pretty serious chop! Seems as though, for me anyway, the R/C boat season is pretty much over, and I am itching to get the Voracity back on the water!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast