Thread: Just my $.02

Cool Just my $.02

In light of the recent unhappiness between certain parties, I just want to say that with more than 5400 posts and many boats bought here, I have not had one single experience that is bad enough for me to air my laundry. Sure, there were transactions that weren't perfect, but that is part of the risk one takes here.
    When I just started, I saw a guy whose boats were my dreams, he was selling a DF45 Sniper set up to run 12s2p with a Neu 2230 and Schulze 140.60 and a Phil Thomas 45 Hydro with Neu 2215 and the same ESC ( his package only included this one ESC). It was late in the middle of the night and frankly as a single parent I was looking for something for my enjoyment and so I wasn't too concerned with the price tag, so I bought the whole package.
    Now the guy did give me his phone number and we actually talked a bit the next day. But it wasn't a month later did I receive my goods.
    I thought of airing out this here but something in the back of my mind told me that I should give the guy a chance, there were anxious moments, I called him a few times and every time he said the items were on their way. In retrospect I should have been more careful as this was a package done up so he can move across the country and the risks of him not paying his attention on the packing and sending should have been apparent to me, but I was too much of a noob and also too eager to have some heavy artillery in my arsenal.
    Was I happy with the transaction? NO!
    Would I ever again buy from this guy, NOT A CHANCE!
    The packing was terrible as the tip of the DF 45 Sniper was damaged, I had to repair it. Granted it was a large item and the likelihood of mishap is proportionally higher, still, there was no excuse on his part.
    I am not telling any body here how to behave, I just want to say that in all fairness the buyer's patience have shrunk in the past few years in large part due to too many fast , responsible sellers here. We have been spoiled and thus we expect a tracking number the next day followed by the delivery of the item(s) the day after.
    As the title says: it is just my $.02.....
    This is a wonderful place and don't let this ruin your happiness with this hobby.
    BTW, this is the first time i have publicly said anything regarding this transaction.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Here here Tim, well said. I have also been real happy with all transactions here. I find most more than happy to help, granted over zealously at times(guilty). But willing to be of help. This is a hobby and is a part time thing for most of us most of the time, though addicting(once again, guilty). A little patience would be well used in this hobby for your boat setup as well as your transactions. That being said, it does not take much to state 'I am real busy but will get it out as soon as a chance presents itself'.
    Thanks to all of you on this forum and others for the great experiences thus far, Shawn

Id like to add let Paypal make their money and provide their service. FAR to many deals that have gone bad where paid using the "Pay a family member" option, trying to cut out Paypal of their 3 or 4%. Sure no one wants to pay an extra amount, but they are in business to make money and provide a service, and when the time arrives they will be there ONLY IF you pay them.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

I would like to say , paypal always gets their 3% no matter which way you go . If you use family and friends the buyer is charged the 3% , why isn't there protection either way? maybe paypal should rewrite their agreement to give the seller control on who pays the fees and provide protection , paypal always gets their fees one way or another , am i missing something here??

there is no "buyer" when you use family and friends. Because per the Paypal agreement you are sending money to someone that needs it, not a product.
    Steven Vaccaro

when i send money to a friend , i am charged 3% product or no product, there are no free lunches

Quote Originally Posted by nmnorth View Post
    when i send money to a friend , i am charged 3% product or no product, there are no free lunches
    They only charge if you use a credit card to send money. There is no charge for money sent to a friend or family from your Paypal account.
    "There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

in light of unhappy parties, when an indivigual constantly lies , is deceitful , and gives false information and does so repeatedly and has been given more then ample time to "make it right" and refuses , I'd say it would be a dis-service not to "air the laundry " because i'm sure i would want to be warned about it , wouldn't you???
    Last edited by nmnorth; 09-24-2015 at 04:29 PM.

on paypal , you don't think family and friends have disputes too ?? shouldn't there be protection there??i'm just asking the question , thats all

in light of unhappy parties, when an indivigual constantly lies , is deceitful , and gives false information and does so repeatedly and has been given more then ample time to "make it right" and refuses , I'd say it would be a dis-service not to "air the laundry " because i sure would want to be warned about it , wouldn't you???
    I would have done the same. In fact in about 2 weeks Im going to do the same for someone else. I've held off for reasons that ill divulge then.

Its discouraging getting the run around. It also warns others to the situation, they may not want to deal with a person that drags their feet to ship an item.
    Steven Vaccaro

on paypal , you don't think family and friends have disputes too ?? shouldn't there be protection there??
    They are not there to get in between those disputes. If I send my brother $50.00 and he gets it, there is no dispute. If I get made at him, and decide I want it back its just to late.
    Steven Vaccaro

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    I would have done the same. In fact in about 2 weeks Im going to do the same for someone else. I've held off for reasons that ill divulge then.

Its discouraging getting the run around. It also warns others to the situation, they may not want to deal with a person that drags their feet to ship an item.
    Great Post Steven !!!

They are not there to get in between those disputes. If I send my brother $50.00 and he gets it, there is no dispute. If I get made at him, and decide I want it back its just to late.
    OK, but i think paypal should make it clearer on this like maybe a big warning before pushing the button , your average person never reads the fine print i believe
    Last edited by nmnorth; 09-24-2015 at 04:26 PM.

Great Post Steven !!!

Id have to say that its alot easier being patient when you know Paypal has your back.

In my case I trusted a long time customer, refunded his money because he said he would send the motor back. Now a person that was emailing me several times a day has all of a sudden disappeared after getting his money back and keeping my $300 item.
    Steven Vaccaro

i meant before pushing button
    Last edited by nmnorth; 09-24-2015 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocstar View Post
    They only charge if you use a credit card to send money. There is no charge for money sent to a friend or family from your Paypal account.
    question on paypal, when i pay a family or friend and i have money in my paypal account and i have a paypal extra card it doesn't ask me if it is being funded from account or card , how do i not get charged the 3% ??? Do i have to cancel my card to not get charged ?? it doesn't give me that option , i am automatically charged, i must be doing something wrong here?? just asking

I admit , i have been guilty in the past of paying for goods using family and friends only because i didn't mind paying the fees and i didn't want to make an issue of it with the seller . I know you can do transaction with paying as goods and adding the 3% but then you have to do the math yourself and if you don't do perfect math it too can become an issue . There has got to be a better way here , my .02 cents
    Last edited by nmnorth; 09-24-2015 at 11:09 AM.

This is actually a good topic...

I always chuckle when I hear people bitch about the 3% (or whatever it is) that PayPal charges for their service (some people refer to it as PayPal's "greed"). So they charge a fee for their service, whats wrong with that? Following that demented logic then, there must be a lot of people who work at their jobs for "free" as well as I assume no one accepts a paycheck from their employer. To accept a paycheck from your employer for your services would be only done as a result of one's "greed".

Hypocrites.

Don't like PayPal, don't use them..there are options....send cash, personal checks, COD...hey its the internet...everyone is who they say they are...what possible risk could there be?

Now a person that was emailing me several times a day has all of a sudden disappeared after getting his money back and keeping my $300 item.
    EEOW! Nasty!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    This is actually a good topic...

I always chuckle when I hear people bitch about the 3% (or whatever it is) that PayPal charges for their service (some people refer to it as PayPal's "greed"). So they charge a fee for their service, whats wrong with that? Following that demented logic then, there must be a lot of people who work at their jobs for "free" as well as I assume no one accepts a paycheck from their employer. To accept a paycheck from your employer for your services would be only done as a result of one's "greed".

Hypocrites.

Don't like PayPal, don't use them..there are options....send cash, personal checks, COD...hey its the internet...everyone is who they say they are...what possible risk could there be?
    At least with paypal , if you get ripped off , they will refund your money in time , what do you think the 3% covers . Now if you send cash , or money order , personal checks and get ripped off and you live in new york and the other guy lives in texas , how you gonna get your money back , drive down and get the cops?? yea right !!

At least with paypal , if you get ripped off , they will refund your money in time , what do you think the 3% covers . Now if you send cash , or money order , personal checks and get ripped off and you live in new york and the other guy lives in texas , how you gonna get your money back , drive down and get the cops?? yea right !!
    Thats my whole point...3% for some peace of mind is pretty cheap insurance.

you are right on !!!!!

Id have to say that its alot easier being patient when you know Paypal has your back.

In my case I trusted a long time customer, refunded his money because he said he would send the motor back. Now a person that was emailing me several times a day has all of a sudden disappeared after getting his money back and keeping my $300 item.
    That is unconscionable!! Sorry to hear that!

If I am the seller, I would WANT to pay for that.
    I always send for ''goods and services" and if the seller would rather get pay as "gifts" then I send a few dollars more to cover for him. This has happened when there is only one low dollar item and after the deal is struck I would PM the seller to inform him of my offer. I admit that this is my personal style and is not for everyone but I feel (especially if the seller is a long time known member) that a little good will goes a long way.
    As far as "patience" is concerned:
    I agree that for a repeat offender it is a good thing to "air out the laundry" as a warning to fellow hobbyists, my 1st post was to say that in my case I had given a longer time to the seller for the very reason that before I was 100% sure that there was a problem I would rather not annoy the seller, my take is that before the inevitable, it is desirable that the relationship between the two parties not get too sour.
    That seller has not been active since my deal and he did not default on me, so I think to post a warning is unwarranted in the final analysis.....
    Communication is important and how and what should be communicated depend on the individual. If I were the seller I would do my best to disclose every aspect of the item and post photos of every angle to show the issue at stake.
    I would also be clear about when I could ship and to that end I usually make it clear before I receive payment.
    If someone is dishonest, no matter how long they try to conceal that, sooner or later they expose themselves and if one is dealing with one of them, then there is little one can do, and the "headache fees" kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    If I am the seller, I would WANT to pay for that.
    I always send for ''goods and services" and if the seller would rather get pay as "gifts" then I send a few dollars more to cover for him. This has happened when there is only one low dollar item and after the deal is struck I would PM the seller to inform him of my offer. I admit that this is my personal style and is not for everyone but I feel (especially if the seller is a long time known member) that a little good will goes a long way.
    As far as "patience" is concerned:
    I agree that for a repeat offender it is a good thing to "air out the laundry" as a warning to fellow hobbyists, my 1st post was to say that in my case I had given a longer time to the seller for the very reason that before I was 100% sure that there was a problem I would rather not annoy the seller, my take is that before the inevitable, it is desirable that the relationship between the two parties not get too sour.
    That seller has not been active since my deal and he did not default on me, so I think to post a warning is unwarranted in the final analysis.....
    Communication is important and how and what should be communicated depend on the individual. If I were the seller I would do my best to disclose every aspect of the item and post photos of every angle to show the issue at stake.
    I would also be clear about when I could ship and to that end I usually make it clear before I receive payment.
    If someone is dishonest, no matter how long they try to conceal that, sooner or later they expose themselves and if one is dealing with one of them, then there is little one can do, and the "headache fees" kicks in.
    GOOD POST !!!! i guess it boils down to everyone's case is different . I'm in the middle of a bad one right now