Thread: Adding another cooling line to mg 29 v3

Default Adding another cooling line to mg 29 v3

I am adding another cooling line to the miss geico. I ordered a transom mount pick-up from ose. I am also adding a second outlet. If you are looking at the back of the boat, which sponson would be better to mount the pickup too, left or right, or does it not matter which side it is on?

I am still wondering which side to put it on. I have an right offset rudder so should I mount this to the left sponson? Will the extra pickup create a lot of drag and handling issues?

not much extra drag or handling issues. maybe get a double inlet rudder if you're worried about that... plus less work

I am going to keep the single pick-up rudder and add the extra water pickup. I was thinking the back right sponson because that's the way the boat will torque roll to and should be in the water more often than the left but I am not sure.

That's the side they put it on the first gen Morley Crew. Right sponson.

I would advise against a transom pickup. It changes the way the boat handles and lacks pickup a lot of the time if the boat runs loosely. If you want dual cooling, enlarge your pickup a little in the rudder. Drill the hole in the fitting a little larger and then y it off. It helped the temps on mine when I had one.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Those 2000kv run hot on 6s . What are your temps.

The motor actually hit about 200 and decided to die. The esc runs between 115 and 130. Horizon sent me a replacement motor and if that goes I have a Leopard I can put in. I am putting on a smaller prop and did the strut mod and raised the strut a bit. I took it out last Sunday and the temps were much better although wind conditions and extremely choppy water forced me to stop earlier especially since she rolled over. I am sticking with the single cooling system for now to see how things go.

Quote Originally Posted by stangguy73 View Post
    The motor actually hit about 200 and decided to die. The esc runs between 115 and 130. Horizon sent me a replacement motor and if that goes I have a Leopard I can put in. I am putting on a smaller prop and did the strut mod and raised the strut a bit. I took it out last Sunday and the temps were much better although wind conditions and extremely choppy water forced me to stop earlier especially since she rolled over. I am sticking with the single cooling system for now to see how things go.
    What prop, check if you have a blockages.

I am going with a sharpened and balanced m440

This is my BJ29 v3 setup and the motor and ESC don't go above 85°, even after a second set of dual 2s lipos. I'm doing the same to my MG29 v3. It's all stock except for the rudder and cooling lines.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thomas where did you get the rudder? would like to get one of those for my blackjack 29v3 and my Giecov3 also would like to have that setup for my Mystic 29

OSE. Speedmaster small extended dual pickup rudder assembly. Product ID # ros-spdrs-003a-du.

You have to drill the pin hole slightly bigger and shave a little off the top and bottom of the pivot arm to fit in the stock mount. It works beautifully.

Thanks for the info really appreciate it!

Thanks as well!! Will be ordering soon.

I see you can order the whole assembly, or just the rudder. Will it work with just the rudder??

tia,

my MG 3V stays cool on 4s. 5s, hot 6s HOT!! Like 130+ motor.

Sweet

... my MG 3V stays cool on 4s. 5s, hot 6s HOT!! Like 130+ motor.
    Adding another cooling line will not give relief if you are running 6S with the same prop. You are simply drawing too many amps and the water cooling system available - not the water flow - can't dissipate it. You will need to prop down to keep the temperatures under control. If you prop for the same amp draw on 6S as you had on 4s you will still have 50% more power (watts) without excessive heat.

OTOH 130*F is not too hot for a quality motor - as long as the time it took to heat up is the maximum time you will run. And remember that as the pond water heats up in summer the cooling system will be less efficient, so higher temps on the motor, batteries and ESC regardless of the water flow.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

For whatever reason and for what it's worth, I have never liked the rudder pickups. My dad has the BJ29 V2, and I barely see any water coming out of it. I have tried everything, enlarging the hole in the rudder, checking for obstruction, bigger ID lines, it just doesn't flow that much water out of the exit spout.

My Shockwave 26 which has an inline pickup on the rudder bracket, flows great, a solid stream coming out of the outlets. Maybe I am crazy, but visually it seems to be working better. I added a second line beside the factory one. I'm sure it creates more drag, but I'm sport boating and to me it's worth the trade-off for better percieved cooling.

20151119_225015.jpg
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s