Thread: Stock HK Pursuit Prop ?

Default Stock HK Pursuit Prop ?

Hi I'm Dave. I'm new (first boat) and have read a lot of threads here on OSE over the last week. So at this point I want to buy a prop balancer and a prop or two and see what sort of trouble I can make for myself. The boat seems to get on plane real well, steer real well and can turn at full speed in about the an eight foot arch. The stock prop is 42mm. It seems from what I've read that a m442 might be a good choice. I also would like to get an opinion on the best prop balancer from OSE. The boat is a HK Pursuit with a turnigy 180 esc with caps, 4s nanotech 5000mah 65-130 c 1p and 3660 sss 1620 motor. Nothing but the battery gets even remotely warm. Any info or direction is greatly appreciated.
    I want to see what I can do with the stock boat first, How fast can it go stock.
    PS Don't tell anyone but I'm still learning to drive it.
    Thanks Dave S.

Welcome Dave!

You picked an awesome first boat! Sounds like you are on the right track! Lots of good info on the Pursuit if you search for it on here(sounds like you have).

I have been playing with mine a ton this summer and have learned a lot. I usually don't give advice because I am still learning myself but I feel confident saying the Octura M445 is a fun and safe prop on this boat with 4S. HUGE upgrade from the stock prop! Mine went from 33 mph(stock prop) to 41.3 mph with the M445 and everything came in cool. The Octura really "bites" also.

And for what it's worth, I'm trying out an ABC 1715-17 now and it picked up just a tad bit of speed with cooler temps on 4S but also with a lot more slip than the M445. I really got this prop to use with 5 and 6S so...
    Pursuit: T-180, TP 4060/1620kv. Genesis: T-180, GoolRC 2000kv. UL-1: Bone stock. MHZ Tsunami: Full tilt SAW project!

Well I've read your posts and I want to see how far I can go on 4s. Then one at a time move up to 5s-6s-bigger motor. Have you tried these on 4s Dan?

Sorry misread that was on 4s. I think I'll order those two to start with and a balancer. I want to try sharpening balancing and polishing. Now what balancer to get?

Forgot to say thanks for the help Dan.

On that stock motor, I had gotten up to an Octura M545. Fast and controllable. But, I have gone back to the M445 so the batteries last longer. Just around 40MPH. For your first boat, that should keep you interested. Unfortunately, Octura props come with rough edges and poorly balanced. So, search the forum for prop sharpening advice.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

No problem!

Yeah, everything so far has been on 4S. If I was going to stay with 4S I would for sure look into at least a larger diameter ABC prop than the 1715.

Keep us up to date! I would love to see how fast you(or anyone) can get it to go with the stock 1620 SSS motor on 4S. 41.3 was my best. You can beat that though...

As far as the balancer goes, I have used the orange TFL balancer for a while now and it's okay. It does a good job but is kind of a pain to use. I'm looking for an upgrade...
    Pursuit: T-180, TP 4060/1620kv. Genesis: T-180, GoolRC 2000kv. UL-1: Bone stock. MHZ Tsunami: Full tilt SAW project!

Using this. I presume it's the orange TFL balancer.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=ose-80310
    Ron - The Villages, FL

///////////// double post
    Ron - The Villages, FL

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Using this. I presume it's the orange TFL balancer.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=ose-80310
    Yup, that's the same one I have. Like I said, it works fine and will get the job done but after a little research I think the Aquacraft/Grim Racer balancer is next on my list.

The Aqua Craft Grim Racer balancer seems to be out of stock. So do you think the orange one will be good?

Hi Dave, just FYO, you can upgrade the motor without spending a bunch on more batts. I'm running a TP4050 2050kv on 4s and normally will use a x443 for club racing, but can go to a x447 when the water is flat. Other props I can run are x548 and x447/3 (This prop set a 2 lap time of 33.89, which I'm sure I can better).The props are all (except 443) detounged, s/b. While I don't gps speeds, the 443 gets around 50 and the bigger props push up over 60. But don't over do the stock motor! I will have to play with a gps one of these days just for the heck of it. BTW I just race my boats.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Hi Peter. I don't have a Club anywhere nearby to join, but what I do have is a river in front of my summer trailer. We trout fish in the spring' bass fish in June, salmon fish in the fall. So there is July and August where we should do something besides drink beer. This seemed like some fun and may be if I could get some of the guys/gals interested we could start a little competition. Someone has to start it. So for now I just run with one other person. It would be more fun with more people. The props are just for some thing extra to do and see what I can get out of it. Thanks for all the input. Dave S.

Fishin',fishin',drinkin', boatin',fishin'. Sounds a bit like paradise! Oh if you get tired of beer go to bourbon! I guess you must be busy catchin' salmon now? Mmmm...salmon Good luck with getting some others into some boating, even if you just have two or three boats and set out some bouys to race around that can be a bunch of fun.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

So I bought a prop balancer and a m445 prop sharpened and balanced it with a 400 grit polish. Im using my Samsung phone as a speed measuring device. I got 30 mph with the stock prop and 40 mph with the m445. The water was rough and the boat barrel rolled. Im waiting for a nice day to see the real speed. It was way faster, and scary to drive. Still there is no heat in the motor or speed controller after a minute of running. It must still need a bigger prop. Humm what to try next. Anyone try a m447 yet? Thanks for the help guys.

So I killed the motor to-day. I was using a m545 full blade and got to 43 mph the motor was just warm. The boat was really unstable so I added some trim tab. I tested the heat after 1 minute was warm to the touch. I went out again for one minute and it only lasted 50 seconds. I burnt out he motor windings. So I ordered a leo 4082 1800kv maybe ok on 4s about 25000 prop rpm. Do you guys think this is a good choice?
    Thanks again for all the help.
    Dave S.

its just me ...... but i would of gone with 2000kv or 2200kv ..... if sticking to 4s ...... also if you do go to 6s dont forget to reinforce the hull ........ the pursuits dont like 6s with standard factory built hulls ... (been there and done that)