Thread: Can she be altered for left turn racing ?

Default Can she be altered for left turn racing ?

So I've got an idea in my head and that's always a scary thing.
    It appears to this old rc car guy that 10th scale rc hydro racing suffers from a similar problem we use to face getting new drivers involved.....no easy entry into the hobby due to a lack of lower cost, reasonable performance gear.
    I'm a newbie to hydros and I'm already frustrated by what's available. I want electric, I'd love it to be 10th scale, I need it to be brushless and I'd like it to turn left like the real boats and according to the prevalent 10th scale electric rule sets from Classic Thunder and ERCU.
    Right off the bat it appears there are no 10th scale hulls RTR or ARTR hulls available for reasonable cost. What's reasonable ? The way I see it, if we can't get somebody into a ride for around $300 the uphill climb to get them involved is MUCH steeper. It also becomes cost prohibitive for any club that may wish to offer a "rental" hull.
    Along comes Miss Seattle. Not 10th scale but at least it's a hydro. The looks are there to attract new people and the supplied equipment is good and easy to replace if needed. But, in order to use it as a good stepping stone towards a regulation boat it needs to be turning left.
    So, this rc boating newbie is asking how to refit Miss Seattle so she's capable of left turns ??? Or if it's simply not suitable for the purpose.

Are both sponsons the same angles and sizes? If they are the main problem will be reinforcing for the skidfin. There are several kits available for 1/16th scale and plans also
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
    Are both sponsons the same angles and sizes? If they are the main problem will be reinforcing for the skidfin. There are several kits available for 1/16th scale and plans also
    Thanks Jim,
    Honestly don't know...I don't have a Miss Seattle as yet so I don't know if the sponsons are the same. My guess would be yes since this is a mass production item. I'm thinking of this boat in particular because it's available in hobby shops, because so many people have no skills building and because the initial commitment isn't in place until the interest is developed. A good RTR or ARTR would be best. I've read some posts regarding skidfin position changes and you're right. I'm hoping the modification would be fairly simple.

There used to be a series of 1/16th scale hydros that were vacuum formed called Electric Thunder
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham