Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Proper LiPo Storage...Take It Seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    Tim, fire bricks should handle some quite high temperatures. I used to have a furnace for heat treating spring steel that would get up to 1000 deg. C. It was lined with fire bricks.
    Thanks, Peter. I just have some doubts as to the everyday variety househood bricks they use for homes. I have no knowledge whether there are different grades of bricks. I know the ones used in a metal foundry can withstand high temp.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Haines View Post
    I guess the correct term is dry chemical.
    Pretty much a power from the fire extinguishers that we used.
    It does leave quite the mess of powder behind to clean up afterwards
    Ken
    What I have been doing at home when charging since I charge on a wooden table.
    I use Medium Zip lock Freezer bags with sand about 1/2" to 3/4" inch deep when laying on there side, (press out the air and zip them up)
    A flat sand pack is laid over each cell, If it gets to hot, it melts the plastic, and the sand runs out and smothers the fire.
    This could also be used for storage, One sand bag for each cell.
    Price is pretty low also.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    Ken
    What I have been doing at home when charging since I charge on a wooden table.
    I use Medium Zip lock Freezer bags with sand about 1/2" to 3/4" inch deep when laying on there side, (press out the air and zip them up)
    A flat sand pack is laid over each cell, If it gets to hot, it melts the plastic, and the sand runs out and smothers the fire.
    This could also be used for storage, One sand bag for each cell.
    Price is pretty low also.

Larry
    Very good idea. Sandwich them with the bags would be even better.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

(Just got a nice 12" x 6" x 7.5" steel ammo box for like $20 bucks from amazon)

Wouldn't it make sense NOT to drill holes in the air tight ammo box ... since a fire can't burn without much air in the first place or do lipos burn without air anyway?

So in that case... maybe holes just big enough to release pressure build up?

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    Yes - this is what you want.

Larry

(Just got a nice 12" x 6" x 7.5" steel ammo box for like $20 bucks from amazon)

Wouldn't it make sense NOT to drill holes in the air tight ammo box ... since a fire can't burn without much air in the first place or do lipos burn without air anyway?

I take out the rubber seal in the lid, it's easier than drilling holes.
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Burning lithium produces its own oxygen, it will burn feely in a sealed container, under water or buried in sand, A CO2 extinguisher will only work if you can physically chill the lithium to below its thermal runnaway temperature. This may vary with the location of your charger, but I think in the majority of household locations a hole in the top will allow for the maximum size of flame before it comes in contact with any thing that could be flammable.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

I will find the videos but I have seen ammo boxes with smaller batteries than we usually use nearly blow the lid off an ammo box

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

For a Grainger tip try ZORO TOOLS its grainger online same part numbers with a totally different price.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    A LiPo Public Service Announcement...by Doby:

This is my LiPo storage Cabinet:
    Attachment 136620

Its a Rittal Electrical Panel Enclosure. The company I worked for several years ago was going to throw it out (brand new) as the contract it was purchased for got cancelled. I felt sorry for it and gave it a new home.

It is made out of thick steel and weighs about 60 Lbs.

On any given day it houses approx. 70 LiPos of several brands, Turnigys, Zippys, Revolectrix and Polyquests., and a handful of SLA batteries for my scale boats.

All LiPos stored at 50% or less capacity.

As of Saturday morning, it now stores approximately 60 LiPos.

Those of you with advanced math skills will realize that there is a 10 LiPo difference from the beginning of the story.

Here is where the Qty 10 LiPo's are:
    Attachment 136626

Seems on Saturday morning, there was a rather peculiar odor coming from the workshop, upon further investigation (after opening the cabinet) one of my LiPos decided it had had enough of living and decided to commit suicide and take a few innocent by standers with it. (Perhaps the offending battery originated for a rather unstable part of the middle east...)

As the entire cabinet was clouded in smoke it was hard to see the extent of the damage other than a few glowing "coals" in one location.

After the smoke had cleared and the carcases were removed, the suicidal LiPo was tracked down to one of the 4S Revolectrix LiPos I purchased recently.

It had a wonky cell that would only charge to about 91% while the remaining charged to 99%. When stored at 50%, the one cell was about 10% lower as well.

After all of the "soot" and other crap was cleaned out, here is what the cabinet looks like now, clearly showing where the Chernobyl event began.:
    Attachment 136627

After spending several hours and using several jugs of alcohol to clean the remaining batteries, life is back to normal. The cabinet, while a tad smelly and scarred is no worse for wear and the house is still standing.

People hear stories about things like this happening and hope it will never happen to them...well, I can assure you that it can....but if you are prepared, the damage will be minimal.

TAKE A QUICK MINUTE AND MAKE SURE YOUR LIPOS ARE STORED PROPERLY. IF THEY AREN'T...DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU.
    if that 4-s had a bad cell, why didnt you return it for a replacement. and why did you store it with other good batteries? is it unusual for a lipo to blow up in storage mode? just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by urbs00007 View Post
    if that 4-s had a bad cell, why didnt you return it for a replacement. and why did you store it with other good batteries? is it unusual for a lipo to blow up in storage mode? just asking.
    Bought the Revos used from a member here..they were good when I bought them...should I have returned it to him after the cell went bad? Now if a lipo shows even the slightest sign of wonkyness..its bath time and asta la vista...to the dump you go!

Remember..the whole point of this thread is to wake up people who store them in totally inappropriate places.

This is what I use now:

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...Storage-Bunker

If one pack goes, the rest are protected.
    All packs are stored at 50% and BALANCED

Larry

I have a large number of packs, i keep them in my fire place. Is that a no no?

What houses in California have fireplaces?

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Mine has a real one, not one of them gas ones...

As long as you don't light a fire in it.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    As long as you don't light a fire in it.

Larry

Wouldn't RC stores be burning day every day of the week if it was this common for lipos to blow up in storage mode?

Especially if they are balanced and check out fine in storage mode-- just how common is it?

FYI I checked mine a day or two ago, stored correctly, and found a 6s pack swollen to the point of bursting the shrink wrap. Its outside now in the fire pit. It can happen. Don't take a chance. Store them safe and check on them periodically.

Wouldn't RC stores be burning day every day of the week if it was this common for lipos to blow up in storage mode?

Especially if they are balanced and check out fine in storage mode-- just how common is it?
    Its not common...BUT IT HAPPENS..

Quote Originally Posted by trigger View Post
    FYI I checked mine a day or two ago, stored correctly, and found a 6s pack swollen to the point of bursting the shrink wrap. Its outside now in the fire pit. It can happen. Don't take a chance. Store them safe and check on them periodically.
    Another classic case of it happening....bet your 6S pack was in proper storage mode etc....and yet it did it anyway.

I would think thats one of the better places...direct venting through the chimney if something happens!

Another classic case of it happening....bet your 6S pack was in proper storage mode etc....and yet it did it anyway.
    You got it, just glad I caught it and no harm done.

Default proper lipo storage

can you tell us the history of that pack. thanks

One half season racing, one of a pair ran in parallel, 5000 mah (for 10000 total) turnigy heavy duty, no reason for it, not cooked or low voltage cut off runs, just another reason to be careful with lipos. Just happened.

You got it, just glad I caught it and no harm done.
    Glad you did as well...I have to ask...what do you store your LiPos in...would it have contained a fire?

Glad you did as well...I have to ask...what do you store your LiPos in...would it have contained a fire?
    I'm not going to get into details. It's a modified ammo can to vent and contain. I believe I'd have contained a fire, but not the smoke or heat damage. But they are not stored next to anything too critical. Hence check them, store them best you can, and just know what can happen. Not being blind to the danger I think goes a long way.

What do you guys consider balanced and not balanced well enough?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    What do you guys consider balanced and not balanced well enough?
    I'm no expert, but all of my packs balance within 0.01V. It's actually less than that, but the screen I monitor charging voltages only shows two decimal places.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I'm no expert, but all of my packs balance within 0.01V. It's actually less than that, but the screen I monitor charging voltages only shows two decimal places.
    Thank you. My last question is what inexpensive charger/dischargers are there that give readings to 3 digits?

I think IMAX chargers do. I only need a low current one for balancing and cycling. The B6 looks decent.

My charger only does 2 places as well but the better the cells the better they are to 3 digits. I like them to be within .005v .
    Nortavlag Bulc

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast