Thread: HobbyWing 180A V3 Blown ESC?

Default HobbyWing 180A V3 Blown ESC?

Hey Guys I think I might have got a defective ESC because I did a few runs and the LVC never kicked in and it seem to fry my stock motor on 3degree timing. I have upgraded to a CC 1515 1Y 2200kv motor and had a few good runs and it just quit in the middle of the lake and just beeps now with a RED LED.

Should the Thermo shutdown not have kicked in or was this shut down due to voltage?? Did I just get a defective one or what? I would buy another once since everyone seems to swear by these, but don't want to just blow more cash and haev the same problem. Should have put in the extra Cap Bank?

Let me know so I can get back up and running. Boat rides great no chine or anything :) Was getting 2min runs consistant. Pushed for 3min and boom! I guy on Youtube had the same motor ESC setup with a Prather 220 Prop with a 5min run??? Not sure what I'm doing wrong? Should I propup to a 220 ??? I though go small and work my way up.

original setup
    CC Stock motor
    Octura 442prop
    Batteries = 5700Mah 80c Dynamite
    Jeff Wholt .78 Wire Drive

Upgraded to: (Same as above just new motor)
    CC 1515 2200kv
    Last edited by Deepvee; 09-09-2015 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Prop
    Traxxas Spartan
    Traxxas Blast
    ABC Hobbies Super Hawaii

What changes happen when you prop up? Is it the motor or the ESC that are effected.

Will adding the extra Cap bank work and which is the proper one? Will the castle creation one work.
    Traxxas Spartan
    Traxxas Blast
    ABC Hobbies Super Hawaii

Does the ESC actually still work? Was it dunked in water? What are the temps? How was your strut leveled?

Y wind motors need 15 degrees timing, 3 degrees is for D wind motors. What voltage are you running 4s,5s,6s ?.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Y wind motors need 15 degrees timing, 3 degrees is for D wind motors. What voltage are you running 4s,5s,6s ?.
    Thanks Martin maybe that was the problem? I thought higher timing meant hotter and higher temps.

Also this is a 6s setup. Maybe I should go to my 187 drive instead of the wire drive
    Traxxas Spartan
    Traxxas Blast
    ABC Hobbies Super Hawaii

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    Does the ESC actually still work? Was it dunked in water? What are the temps? How was your strut leveled?
    No the esc just beeps when powered on. Tried other batteries too? No water damage dry as a bone. I think I saw 140 on the esc
    Traxxas Spartan
    Traxxas Blast
    ABC Hobbies Super Hawaii

Way too much motor for 6S in that big boat. You're spinning around 40,000 rpm which is SAW territory. Even with a small prop you are in dangerous territory for running over two minutes....as you discovered. Don't rely on a thermal shutoff to save you, I've seen plenty of fried T180s.

If if you want a reliable boat, either drop down to 4S or get a different motor with a lower Kv. Otherwise expect the same result unless you really limit run time. The longer you run the hotter things get.

And don't believe everything you see on YouTube! You don't know what the actual setup was, nor do you know if the boat burned up on the next run.....

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I'm betting you cooked it. What did you have LVD set at? Same thing happened to me a little over a month ago. My caps puffed and one split down the side within about 6-8 runs. I pulled all 4 caps off and soldered in a 1000uf to bench test and no dice, just beeped and blinked red. The dinky caps on it are worthless, I should've listened to others and added a large cap bank to it right away. You should also run an external BEC. I now run the Turnigy 180A, it comes with a cap bank and I have had much better luck. Also, you may want to add another cooling line. I stole this idea from propperchopper, works well it runs cooler.

As Fluid has pointed out 2200kv on 6s is saw territory, to run this type of set up its a blast up the lake & back then in to shore. Def not 2-3m runtime or the same will happen again, propping up by the way increases amp draw higher still producing more heat.

Okay thanks for the info guys. I like the performance and I got the boat dialed in now so it runs great at these speeds. I guess I will purchase a better ESC that will support this set up. Any recommendations?
    Traxxas Spartan
    Traxxas Blast
    ABC Hobbies Super Hawaii

Just remember your turning 40,000rpm,buy a lower kv motor with the right prop,go just as fast with less problems ,I too thought higher kv was better but it's not ,I have a 2150 in mine as a spare for now and it's just to fast ,

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge even with a small prop you are in dangerous territory for running over two minutes.Don't rely on a thermal shutoff to save you, I've seen plenty of fried T180s.If if you want a reliable boat, either drop down to 4S or get a different motor with a lower Kv.

turnkey pcb
    Last edited by CoraDias; 03-12-2022 at 03:01 PM.

I've noticed that HK 180 do not do well with too much partial load... half throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepvee View Post
    Okay thanks for the info guys. I like the performance and I got the boat dialed in now so it runs great at these speeds. I guess I will purchase a better ESC that will support this set up. Any recommendations?
    Yes you need a New ESC
    But if you run 6S on that motor you will burn up the new ESC also.
    The only way to run that setup is two SAW passes max at full speed, bring it in and let cool for 20 to 60 minutes.
    If you want to run that motor change to 4S or stay at 6S and get a new motor with about 1500KV.

Where in Ontario are you?

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Hmmm, 45 seconds of run time... Not sure where the “fun” is! Seems to be a mounting number of people going toward insane setups. Personally, I can’t relate to that, but I hope your boat does what you want it to.

Reminds me of an old movie - "I feel the need, the need for speed!!!!!!!" It seems that the quest for outright speed overrides common sense. Many newcomers see breaking the magical 100 mph mark as a prerequisite to enjoying this hobby. For me simply enjoying a lap or two without flipping the boat would be my ideal.