Thread: Upgrade motor and esc?

Default Upgrade motor and esc?

Is it worth it to upgrade the motor and esc? Could the hull handle the extra power? If so what would be a good motor to get? I already have a seaking180 esc. Thanks

The problem is not hull design, it is crash survival. RTRs are built to a price point and to get there hulls are just strong enough to handle stock speeds. They seem okay up to around 45 mph but over that most will sustain considerable damage in a flip or crash. Cutting out the inner tub and lining the hull with carbon fiber will help a lot. Mine is so modded and with a PB 1800 Kv motor and m445 hits 45 mph in our race water. Any faster and finishing becomes a problem.

If you want higher speeds the Castle 1515/1Y or similar motor will give all the hull can handle. The SK180 is plenty, an m645 will achieve 60s if you can keep the boat on the water. An m445 would be more conservative to start.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    The problem is not hull design, it is crash survival. RTRs are built to a price point and to get there hulls are just strong enough to handle stock speeds. They seem okay up to around 45 mph but over that most will sustain considerable damage in a flip or crash. Cutting out the inner tub and lining the hull with carbon fiber will help a lot. Mine is so modded and with a PB 1800 Kv motor and m445 hits 45 mph in our race water. Any faster and finishing becomes a problem.

If you want higher speeds the Castle 1515/1Y or similar motor will give all the hull can handle. The SK180 is plenty, an m645 will achieve 60s if you can keep the boat on the water. An m445 would be more conservative to start.

Thanks for the reply. I ran the boat today with stock motor and a m645 prop it was ok. But iI definitely want more. Do you think a motor that could handle 6s would be too much for thehull? I Don't want to reinforce the hull. Thanks

In this boat, I recommend that 6S should be used to reduce amp draw and increase run time, not substantially increase speed. With the right motor 4S can push that hull too fast as it is. Setup and tuning can add speed while reducing amp draw and heat with your current setup. Depending on your motor and cells, the m645 may be too big and is slowing the boat down.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    In this boat, I recommend that 6S should be used to reduce amp draw and increase run time, not substantially increase speed. With the right motor 4S can push that hull too fast as it is. Setup and tuning can add speed while reducing amp draw and heat with your current setup. Depending on your motor and cells, the m645 may be too big and is slowing the boat down.

I don't have GPS but iI ran the boat the boat on on 4s (stock motor and esc) with stock prop. Then changed to the 645 and iI could definitely tell that it was faster. My esc and motor temp after a full pack was around 130. What temps are the stock motor esc good to? Thanks

I set mine up to stay at 125 or less. I am also running a 1800kv motor with a m445 and as Fluid mentioned keeping it on the water in race conditions becomes an issue if you try for much more.