Thread: Submerged barbwire3...dead

Default Submerged barbwire3...dead

Hello. I am new to RC boats but purchased a Barbwire 3 a few weeks ago and it?s been great. My son was playing with the boat and accidentally sent it down a drainage tunnel and we thought it was lost forever. About a week later we found it washed ashore but almost completely submerged. The connections have started to corrode and the motor looks rusted up. The steering still works but the ESC won?t register. I took the boat apart and was ready to order a new OEM motor and ESC for about $90 (I paid $180 for the boat new). If I want to save this boat (or upgrade), are the OEM components the best choice or should I look at alternatives? Thanks in advance.

I wasn't really that familiar with this boat, but I watched a bunch of YouTube videos, and now I'm an expert... Right out of the box, that little thing is a goer. Box stock, it is on the verge of being overpowered, and since are new to RC boats, I would go with the original manufacturer's running gear. It's always going to fit, you won't need an extra special part that only works with an "upgrade" part, and you won't have to re-engineer anything.

I always remove the drive shafts from my boats immediately after getting home from running them. I clean the shafts and stuffing tubes, dry them, lubricate them, and re-install them. That way, they are always ready to go the next time I want to run them.
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Makes sense and appreciate the validation. Cheers.

Any particular lube products you like?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Any particular lube products you like?
    A man walks into a bar in Hillcrest and asks the bartender "Any particular lube products you like?".......

Sorry, I couldn't resist the temptation.

Some will try to say one lube product is better than the other, but for ball bearings, just about any light oil will work. Remember, these ball bearings are designed to run for hundreds of hours in some applications, we run them for ten minutes at a time. For larger straight shafts (4mm and 1/8") I use the same light oil if running in a bushing. For some wire drive applications, I use a light coating of grease. Some say marine grease is best, but for the short durations we deal with, most any product will do. Thicker consistency and/or excess lubricant usually adds drag, so don't go crazy. Use only enough to last 10 minutes.
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves