Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Largest Motor/ESC Combo In JAE Mini Sprint

No spacers in the stuffing tube to keep the wire from whipping around? Little pieces of teflon tubing forced into the stuffing tube at intervals or something?

Quote Originally Posted by bob horowitz View Post
    No spacers in the stuffing tube to keep the wire from whipping around? Little pieces of teflon tubing forced into the stuffing tube at intervals or something?
    Nope, the wire diameter will not whip around. No spacers are needed. That diameter wire is not that small to whip around. Just use the stock teflon in there OEM length. It's a lot smoother with the teflon liner in there. Some will tell you that it's not needed for one less thing to maintain, but with a wire drive it's really 0% maintenance as not much of the wire is even touching the teflon like a flexdrive would.

I'm not using a liner now. Just my flex inside the brass tube. I guess I'll put a Teflon liner in. I'll see if they have something here at OSE or from Zippkits. Maybe Jeff at RC Boats when I get the wire drive and collet. I thought it would be an awful lot of play without something to fill some of the space.Thanks,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob horowitz View Post
    I'm not using a liner now. Just my flex inside the brass tube. I guess I'll put a Teflon liner in. I'll see if they have something here at OSE or from Zippkits. Maybe Jeff at RC Boats when I get the wire drive and collet. I thought it would be an awful lot of play without something to fill some of the space.Thanks,
    Bob
    The kit comes with a liner. Use that, it's what I am using. Teflon has very low friction when you add oil to it. It also will quite the driveline and keep your brass tube in tip top shape. People will argue you don't need a lining, and that it's just as or less resistive without. They will turn it with their hand an say it feels more free so it must be better. That's not at RMP though. There are cheap lining's and there are nice thick one's. The one the JAE comes with it a good thickness for a flex drive but even better for a wire drive.

I've seen and have thinner and they are good but don't last. I never remove the drive (flexdrive or wire drive) when using a teflon liner as I add oil down the stuffing tube after every 2 runs and never had an issue. Some will argue you don't need a liner, well I tried it without and it was not as smooth no difference in speed at all.
    Last edited by SweetAccord; 11-03-2016 at 08:53 PM.

So I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these kits. I've read through the manual, hoping it goes alright. I'm an auto mechanic so Im sure I can figure it out, just don't want to do anything wrong Lol. Whats the best way to build a jig? Do it like they did in the manual with aluminum angle? Lots of good info in here, any other tips are appreciated. Love the looks of this boat and how they run!

Quote Originally Posted by Mxkid261 View Post
    So I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these kits. I've read through the manual, hoping it goes alright. I'm an auto mechanic so Im sure I can figure it out, just don't want to do anything wrong Lol. Whats the best way to build a jig? Do it like they did in the manual with aluminum angle? Lots of good info in here, any other tips are appreciated. Love the looks of this boat and how they run!
    Yes follow the instructions. They are simple, and precise and written the way they are written in the order to build the kit property and correctly. You can do things slightly different sure, but if it’s your first kit follow the manual closely. Take you time and don't rush anything and you will be rewarded. Rush it and it will be hard to go back and fix.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetAccord View Post
    Yes follow the instructions. They are simple, and precise and written the way they are written in the order to build the kit property and correctly. You can do things slightly different sure, but if it’s your first kit follow the manual closely. Take you time and don't rush anything and you will be rewarded. Rush it and it will be hard to go back and fix.
    Thanks. Quick question, when you seal everything with epoxy do you just take a paint brush and spread a nice even layer over everything?

Thanks. Quick question, when you seal everything with epoxy do you just take a paint brush and spread a nice even layer over everything?
    Yes, don’t use a lot either. You can easily carried away using too much. I built two. The first one I built sealing with epoxy on the inside and outside. It was a pig heavy. The second one I only sealed the outside and everything inside corners and joints were sealed with Titebond Wood glue that is waterproof. The V2 is just as strong and twice as light! You can also use polyurethane varnish to seal the inside which is much lighter than epoxy. You can also use that on the outside to seal if you want to keep the "wood" look.

Do you have the 28" poseidon hull or the 33?

Do you have the 28" poseidon hull or the 33?
    28"

Quote Originally Posted by SweetAccord View Post
    The kit comes with a liner. Use that, it's what I am using. Teflon has very low friction when you add oil to it. It also will quite the driveline and keep your brass tube in tip top shape. People will argue you don't need a lining, and that it's just as or less resistive without. They will turn it with their hand an say it feels more free so it must be better. That's not at RMP though. There are cheap lining's and there are nice thick one's. The one the JAE comes with it a good thickness for a flex drive but even better for a wire drive.
    I received my kit a few weeks ago... no liner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashunde View Post
    I received my kit a few weeks ago... no liner.
    Message the seller.

I'm at a new 54.1mph! This little thing is a blast. Now looking back looks like I was at 57mph. I don't know what happened I was thinking I had only went 52mph. Oh well

My friend has a electric motor and esc from a electric dirt bike. It's huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    My friend has a electric motor and esc from a electric dirt bike. It's huge.
    Oh really, cool story bro! These riggers are not huge, I doubt it would fit in, never mind be usefull. A mid length budget 28mm motor can provide more power than these mini riggers can handle.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Went to a 632 and did 58mph. Now time for a different motor I am going to get it to 60 one way or another.

Just ordered a leopard 4420kv I'm hoping the efficiency will be a little better.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678