Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Darin's Voracity "Race-Prep" - Taking it "One-Step-Beyond"

Default Darin's Voracity "Race-Prep" - Taking it "One-Step-Beyond"

Well... It looks like you guys have the "bolt-in" performance tinkering part of the Voracity covered here.

Rafael and Pro Boat sent me back my Test boat, which had a pre-production 3D-Printed tray assembly in it that was for proof-of-concept, not longevity, and it needed to be replaced if things were going to stay in place. Rafael sent along a brand new factory motor tray, so....

I've started chiseling out the original tray. Naturally, I can't leave things well-enough-alone, so I've decided to do a full "Race-Prep" on this hull. It's not "out of the box" factory anyhow, so why not! Let's see what this thing can REALLY do.

DISCLAIMER: In NO WAY am I condoning, suggesting, or otherwise recommending that ANY of you try this, or that any of you might have more fun, have a better boat, or will gain any significant performance of ANY KIND, if you were to go down this path. You will VOID your warrantee, as well as cause yourselves ALL kinds of extra work, that may, or may not, help performance. I'm doing this because I already have to replace the tray, and I figured, "what the heck". That's it. PLEASE DON'T ATTEMPT this at home unless you are willing to take ALL the risks with your investment that I'm about to take. Plus, I doubt that any of you would have access to a new, factory motor tray. This is something Rafael arranged for me from the vender. I don't think it's something that's available as a replacement part.

OK, that out of the way, time to get started...

Not much to see here. Pliers and a chisel and a lot of time and I have most of the 3D Printed structure out. Need to go over it with a sanding disc to carefully grind away the remnants and get the hull smooth again. Delicate operation to keep from going down into the hull structure. And, want to keep from warping the glass.

20150830_155147.jpg
    20150830_155209.jpg

I think that I'm going to do all of this and leave the battery trays in place at this point in order to keep from disturbing the hull bottom at all. They add rigidity and I'll try to work around them.

I'm likely going to be adding a layer of Carbon Fiber inside this hull, and I'll work that up in between the existing battery trays, which I think will help to hold them in place for the long-term.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Do you think that the batteries trays can be closer each other ? Do it will change something like chine walk at very high speed or torque roll ?

Quote Originally Posted by Banzee View Post
    Do you think that the batteries trays can be closer each other ? Do it will change something like chine walk at very high speed or torque roll ?
    Possibly, but you can only put them so close before they started butting cells together.

I'm actually an advocate for having a single pack right down the middle. If I feel so inclined, I may modify these to add that ability to use a single 6S pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Possibly, but you can only put them so close before they started butting cells together.

I'm actually an advocate for having a single pack right down the middle. If I feel so inclined, I may modify these to add that ability to use a single 6S pack.
    I like the idea of the single pack ! For sure , you need to keep some space between the packs and putting something soft to prevent damage !

I'm in this for the full meal deal now!

Chissiled and sanded out the remainder of the structure and glue, managing not to go through the hull.

Removed the hardware and the stuffing tube. I annealed the brass to allow for easier strut adjustment. More,on that later.

Decided that I'd upgrade to a flooded stuffing tube arrangement, so drilled up the transom.

Decided to run with the battery trays in place. Easier to manage two 3S packs, and also allows for a pair of 4S packs, should I feel so inclined.

Next step will be a layer of carbon. More to come.

20150831_172232.jpg

20150831_175343.jpg

20150831_174947.jpg

20150831_181349.jpg

20150831_181334.jpg

I should probably make note...

IF this was a factory, out of the box boat, I would NOT be going to these lengths. I'd leave it as stock as possible and race it.

But, since this was a test sample and needed the tray replaced anyhow, well... here we go!

Admit it, even if it were a production boat, you wouldn't leave it alone. It's who we are.
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

Can't wait to see it run!
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Motor upgrade esc ? Can't stop now! Lol

I suppose I should actually pull this off the shelf and get back on it one of these days...

i think you should lol im in the process of modifying an old blackjack hull and this is giving me some incentive to finish the build now that i really dont feel like laying the rest of the carbon/kevlar..... (still peeling epoxy off my arms and hands lol)

Got back to work on this, finally.

Reinforced the area where I removed the 3D printed mount with, what else; carbon fiber.

While that was still wet, I mixed some epoxy, milled fiber, and cavasil and installed the mount. Drilled some homes along the mount just to help with adhesion. Used some wood blocks to try to keep the bottom flat while it all set up.

20160312_103904.jpg

20160312_161325.jpg

20160312_161345.jpg

20160312_220040(0).jpg

20160312_220059.jpg

That looks quite nice. Why did you drill a bigger hole? Going with a larger motor and tube?

Quote Originally Posted by Keagan-Z06 View Post
    That looks quite nice. Why did you drill a bigger hole? Going with a larger motor and tube?
    He is running a flooded stuffing tube on this one probably for more strut adjustment

I like the idea about wood blocks and the clamp while setting the mount. I need to devise a similar idea when I finally set my tray in place in my mono.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Darin, ever try this?

I was thinking that if you 3M double side taped two pieces of aluminum angle to the bottom of the boat while you glue in mounts and rails that you would have a higher probability of coming out with a dead straight bottom. Then just use the fishing line trick to remove the angle. No hooks maybe in the surfaces. Less fiddling with the bottom later.

Just a thought. I've not tried it.
    Noisy person

What happened? Where did Darin go?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Vetter View Post
    What happened? Where did Darin go?
    I'm still here.. project was set aside momentarily because I bought a '92 4Runner for a 3rd vehicle (have a 16-year old son... :) ) and have been doing some restoration/updating to it to get it reliably drivable, and, well, "cooler"... :)

The Voracity project is now back on the workbench. Flooded Chamber stuffing tube is in the process of being installed. Shouldn't take to long from there. :)

20160423_181648.jpg

20160423_181703.jpg

20160423_181725.jpg

That 92' is pretty clean!
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Quote Originally Posted by Tamelesstgr View Post
    That 92' is pretty clean!
    Thanks... got the new windshield and window molding in last night, and getting tires for the new 17x9" wheels tonight! The kid is pretty stoked. :)

20160417_161wheels.jpg

ultra_mongoose_mba_pdpfull.jpg

Sorry, gang... I'll get this back on topic shortly. :)

OK... I'm back on it...

Quick follow-up on the 4Runner though... Got the Wheels/Tires all taken care of. Unfortunately, the Big-O that did the work also decided to back the car out of the shop with the driver's door open, catching it on the lift and bending it back. SO, I'm without the 4Runner and it's hopefully getting repaired, CORRECTLY, this week. Wheels/Tires sure look nice though!

20160428_170913.jpg

Back on topic...

Got a piece of Carbon Filament wound large diameter tubing from Brian Buaas. Cut it to length, then laminated some carbon fiber weave around and across the top of one-end to seal it up. Drilled a hole in it for the original stuffing tube to fit through and then epoxied the assembly up against the original mounting location. Tacked the tubing at the back to hold it all in place.

I'll now seal up the back at the transom and flood around the tubing at the back to seal it. The hole back there was drilled WAY to big, but I had anticipated getting a larger diameter piece of Carbon tube, so I'll use some epoxy filled with Milled Fiber and some Cavasil to seal it all back up.

Once that's cured, I'll cut and sand down the bit extending out the transom.

After this, the rest should just be a matter of bolting all the hardware back on, and applying some graphics. :)

20160501_131800.jpg

20160501_131822.jpg

20160501_131830.jpg

OK... I'm back on it...

Quick follow-up on the 4Runner though... Got the Wheels/Tires all taken care of. Unfortunately, the Big-O that did the work also decided to back the car out of the shop with the driver's door open, catching it on the lift and bending it back. SO, I'm without the 4Runner and it's hopefully getting repaired, CORRECTLY, this week. Wheels/Tires sure look nice though!

20160428_170913.jpg

I love those wheels. Would look great on my Exploder. Next trip down here park it in my driveway for a time. Won't hurt a bit................
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    I love those wheels. Would look great on my Exploder. Next trip down here park it in my driveway for a time. Won't hurt a bit................
    UMPH!

Back on topic...

Got a piece of Carbon Filament wound large diameter tubing from Brian Buaas. Cut it to length, then laminated some carbon fiber weave around and across the top of one-end to seal it up. Drilled a hole in it for the original stuffing tube to fit through and then epoxied the assembly up against the original mounting location. Tacked the tubing at the back to hold it all in place.

I'll now seal up the back at the transom and flood around the tubing at the back to seal it. The hole back there was drilled WAY to big, but I had anticipated getting a larger diameter piece of Carbon tube, so I'll use some epoxy filled with Milled Fiber and some Cavasil to seal it all back up.

Once that's cured, I'll cut and sand down the bit extending out the transom.

After this, the rest should just be a matter of bolting all the hardware back on, and applying some graphics. :)

20160501_131800.jpg

20160501_131822.jpg

20160501_131830.jpg

If you can hold off till this evening I'll see what I have and sent you a piece of tube tomorrow. I think I have 18mm diameter.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    If you can hold off till this evening I'll see what I have and sent you a piece of tube tomorrow. I think I have 18mm diameter.
    I appreciate that a lot, but I think this will be good. I have more than enough adjustment. As most of you already know, not a lot of adjustment necessary, but being able to move this a bit allows for a wider array of prop diameters.

No turning back now! :)

I appreciate that a lot, but I think this will be good. I have more than enough adjustment. As most of you already know, not a lot of adjustment necessary, but being able to move this a bit allows for a wider array of prop diameters.

No turning back now! :)
    No problem, was trying to help. :)

I looked for you just in case. I have 4 feet of 16mm od. I have to go to the post office tomorrow. If you need it, I'll send it to you. Just pm me your address and the length you need.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I looked for you just in case. I have 4 feet of 16mm od. I have to go to the post office tomorrow. If you need it, I'll send it to you. Just pm me your address and the length you need.

Nice stuff! Thanks again. Already have it all glued in place, so I'll just go with this. I really appreciate the offer, though. Thank You.

Where did you purchase this, by the way?

Nice stuff! Thanks again. Already have it all glued in place, so I'll just go with this. I really appreciate the offer, though. Thank You.

Where did you purchase this, by the way?

eBay. It is very nice stuff. I've been getting a lot of my carbon from China off eBay and if you pick the right stuff it is quality stuff. (China and quality usually aren't used in the same sentence lol) I've sent some plate to Monojeff and he's been pretty impressed with it. I bought some USA made stuff a while back and it was coming apart on him when cutting it. We haven't had an issue with the China stuff. Sometimes it takes three weeks to get but I got two plates in yesterday I ordered just last week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast