Thread: New Build Electronics Disaster

Default New Build Electronics Disaster

Building from scratch a hydroplane (Notre Dame) about 30". I got all the necessary electronics and set it all up on the bench to test it. Worked great. I had throttle and servo function.

Original equipment:
    • Spektrum DX5e Transmitter
    • Spektrum AR500 Receiver DSM2
    • 120A Boat brushless ESC
    • Leopard motor from OSE with water cooled jacket brushless to match ESC
    • Two Turnigy 5.0 (5000 mAh) wired in series to get 15 volts
    • Standard sized rudder servo

I disconnected all the electronics from each other to permanently install them in the boat and attach the motor shaft to the flexi-shaft.
    Connected the three motor leads to the ESC.
    Plugged the ESC into the Rx.

Then, thinking that I was plugging in the servo connector to the Rx, it was instead a power charge port of one of the batteries.
    I saw and heard arcs and sparks! Then of course nothing worked.

I have since replaced the receiver with an ORX R615X DSM2. No change to anything.
    Then replaced the ESC with a new one (same brand and model), programmed it with my card and there was still no change.
    Then received the original model receiver, the Spektrun AR500, like I had originally. No change.

I am frustrated and disappointed that this happened.
    I'm hoping there is one of you (or more) that have had similar calamities, and that the fix will be easy!

Of course the LIPO batteries are charged and there are fresh batteries in the Tx.

Thank you for any ideas and best regards,
    Dan

Cool

I don't see how you could "plug in" the servo to the battery. A pic would help here. Have you replaced the servo and all wiring like switches and extensions?

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

No the servo was never plugged into Rx. I plugged the battery charge connector into the Servo spot on the Rx, causing the short.

Which ESC?

120A Brushless Boat ESC water cooled, BEC: 5.5v-4A 2-6c LiPo by hobbyking.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_4A_UBEC.html

I have one of those in one of my P-Spec boats for the past 2 years...seems to be pretty bullet proof for the price. Have you tried adjusting your radio end points...sometimes if they are not centered, they can cause "problems".

Like I said in my original post, there are no manuals!
    How do I adjust the radio end points?
    Thanks!

Thank you for the link to the DMX5e Transmitter. It presents more questions than answers, though.
    I do understand the procedures to range the components, but,
    My Spektrum receiver will not bond with the xmitter, so I cannot continue with that one.
    The Orange oRX receiver does bond, but the motor goes nuts and I have no control.

The unknowns about this xmitter are: France Mode vs Std Mode, and

DSMX ON: Hold the trainer switch and push and hold the Elevator trim button forward. Turn on the transmitter. A series of ascending tones should be heard. Release switches.
    DSMX cannot be turned on if France Mode is set. See page 12 for more information on France Mode.

What does all this have to do with the scheme of things?
    What's next?
    Thanks,
    Dan

The "France mode" is moribund, don't use it. You need DMSX mode. The original receiver may be fried, I would not trust it. You may need a new transmitter.

New Transmitter? Why so?

Sorry, new receiver! Silly me....

The other unknowns to a novice like me is the polarity of the connectors plugged into the receiver (ESC and Servo). Could the wrong polarity fry the receiver?
    The connectors go in one way or the opposite way. It is not clearly documented anywhere. Could it be that I am shorting out the receiver?

Also the Transmitter users manual utilizes the use of an external power source.
    I had assumed that the ESC was providing the power source and throttle in the bind/data port of the receiver.

What am I missing here?
    Thanks,
    Dan

Esc should plugged into the throttle port of the receiver. Bec should supply power to the receiver.

I'm sorry, what is the BEC?

The bec is the part of the esc that powers the receiver. Some escs do not have them and have to be powered by a separate battery. Your esc does have one. You said in a earlier post that you had switch harness (charge port) you do not need that and that could of been what fried.

OK, I've decided to take the unprecedented (and expensive) step to order and replace the motor, ESC and receiver.
    I've done all that I could to resolve this issue, so it has to be.

There is one question that remains: The polarity of the connectors that are plugged into the receiver.
    If I get them backwards, would that short something out?

connector-1.jpg

vs.

connector-2.jpg

Thanks,
    Dan

The black or brown wire on the plug goes to the out side of the rx when plugging it in, or you will fry the rx if you have it backwards/reverse. you will also fry the servo if its in reverse. All black / brown lead wires face to the outside of the rx when plugged in.

Cheers, Jay.

Please define "outside of the receiver":? I think that this has been my problem all along. Thanks!
    Dan

See the little negative (-) marking on the receiver? Well, black on the plug is negative.

dolby is negative , I'm positive.... lmao.

when looking down at the rx there is three pins black wire goes to the pin on the right or the third pin, or the pin nearest to the outer edge of the rx . if you can't see the little (-) mark .... I sure can't , not without 42"s

Chears, Jay.

Your second pic is correct...

Plugging them in backwards will NOT always end up in a blown receiver.

OK, I robbed some electronics from my RC aircraft. I have a Dynam receiver (2.4 GHz) and a Dynam transmitter.
    The receiver is set up with notches in it, so the connectors only go in one way.

Anyway, They bind ok and I have full rudder control.Here are the inputs to this 7-channel receiver:
    Batt
    AUX1
    AUX2
    Gear
    RUDD
    THRO
    AILE
    ELEV

Where do I plug in the ESC?
    I used the THRO port and it didn't spin the motor.I noticed on the thransmitter there are four switches that turn on or off:
    RUDD
    THRO
    AILE
    ELEV

With the esc in the throttle position, turning that switch on spins the motor at full throttle and I have no control.
    What could this be?
    Thanks,
    Dan

OK. Problem(s) solved after viewing the throttle calibration procedure on this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbEBsI_x_Q8
    Something simple! (But if one didn't have some instruction like this, it just doesn't work!)
    Now I have to figure out why the flexi-shaft disconnected from the motor shaft.
    One thing after another, but hey, it's progress!

Thank you each one for your tips and insights. It's greatly appreciated!
    Dan