Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **<<ATTENTION>>** Current or Potential SPEKTRUM DX4R, DX4S, DX4C, or DX2E with DSMR

Default **<<ATTENTION>>** Current or Potential SPEKTRUM DX4R, DX4S, DX4C, or DX2E with DSMR

ATTENTION:

Anyone who has, or is considering purchasing a Spektrum DX4R, DX4S, DX4C, or the DX2E Transmitter with DSMR.

I was informed today that these Transmitters with DSMR, and that have been purchased recently are NO LONGER COMPATIBLE with the DSM-MARINE Protocol.

What this means is they won't operate using the MR200 or MR3000 Marine Receivers. They will continue to work using the other DSM2 Receivers and, obviously, the new DSMR Receivers.

The reason for the change has to do with EU Rules regarding radio frequencies and signal strength, and is probably all way over my head. The bottom line is that DSM-MARINE was not EU Compatible so Spektrum is no longer supporting it.

If you like the Spektrum line and are starting out with new stuff, I can highly recommend the DX4R or DX4S or DX4C. The DSMR is actually a MUCH better system for boats, and I've really liked their TXs over the years.

However, if you are updating your TX and already have a fleet of boats using the MR-series of RXs, you might want to keep your old DX3R, DX3S, or DX3C to run your boats with the MR-series in them.

I can't say for sure, but I BELIEVE there are some of the earlier release DX4R, DX4S, or DX4C Transmitters that were released prior to this update, and still DO support the DSM-MARINE receivers. I know that mine does. However, I have NO way to tell which are which at this time, and frankly, I wouldn't want to try.

I wish I had better news. I'm only just finding all this out myself.

If you have any questions on this, I'd encourage you to call Spektrum. I really don't have any further information.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

WOW, Thanks Darin.
    I have bought a DX4C and it supports the MR series which are the only ones I have been using, Ok, no problem there, so I guess I should not update any new firmware
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    WOW, Thanks Darin.
    I have bought a DX4C and it supports the MR series which are the only ones I have been using, Ok, no problem there, so I guess I should not update any new firmware
    I'm not sure about that. I'm glad you got one of the earlier ones...

I'll update this thread as I get more info; for such things as identifiers, etc... so people can tell which are which.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    I'm not sure about that. I'm glad you got one of the earlier ones...

I'll update this thread as I get more info; for such things as identifiers, etc... so people can tell which are which.
    Thanks Darin as always!

Great info here Darin thank you for the heads up.

Cool

Spektrum technicians told me today that transmitters manufactured after January 1, 2015 will not support the MR-series receivers, just as Darin reports. If the transmitter has a "W" at the end of the serial number it won't work with the MRs.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

The one I picked up thee weeks ago works fine with my MR200's.
    It doesn't work with the the 410's that come with it though. Two failures in 3 weeks. Can't tell you how disappointed I am with this purchase.
    Noisy person

Glad i didnt pull the trigger and buy one. Oh ya thanks spektrum for screewing us in the state for eu. Ill probably not stay with soektrum after this little betrall
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Mine was bought in June of 2014, there was no serial number on the TX, only some numbers on the box, I guess later version has the number followed by a letter.
    @ Terry,
    Did you buy the tx after you wrote about the incompatibility some weeks ago? It sure is surprising that it won't work with the rx it came with....

Yes. I bought It thinking next generation. 2 failures already? Mine is not the EU version as far as I know. I'd have to look closer.
    Noisy person

Terry, what are the nature of the failures?

I think I have both an early and a late version here. I may need to do some cross testing to see what works with what.

410. Zero sign of life.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    410. Zero sign of life.
    OK... That's interesting. I just sent one of those to Jay to try this morning.

Hmmmmm....

Here's something crazy.

I bound a 4210 to my sons old DS3R and that sucker attempted to course hold. I thought that only worked with the new radio. Had to pull it out. Not sure how to turn it off.
    Noisy person

Terry Have you tried Tactic , I only had trouble with one rx that was dunked , think I put current through when it was still wet. can't tell the you how many times I've dropped the TX, CA'd the antenna back on still works great only a $60.00 experiment.

Cheers, Jay.

darin was looking at a dx4r pro and asked if the serial number ended with a w and the guy says its a spmr4100 not the newer spmr 4100w is this what we are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    darin was looking at a dx4r pro and asked if the serial number ended with a w and the guy says its a spmr4100 not the newer spmr 4100w is this what we are talking about?
    Perhaps... I'm still looking into that. I'll try to check mine when I get home. I have the early one for sure.

Mine was bought in June of 2014, there was no serial number on the TX, only some numbers on the box, I guess later version has the number followed by a letter....
    Look for the sticker by the battery tray under the battery door.

Last edited by Fluid; 08-28-2015 at 07:59 PM.
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thanks, I see it now .
    It's got the letter "B" in the serial number group.

Quote Originally Posted by jaike5 View Post
    Terry Have you tried Tactic , I only had trouble with one rx that was dunked , think I put current through when it was still wet. can't tell the you how many times I've dropped the TX, CA'd the antenna back on still works great only a $60.00 experiment.

Cheers, Jay.
    HAHAHA
    After all the crap I gave you at the CanAm I deserved that.
    Noisy person

darin did u find out anything else?

FYI nearly all of the EU run a 100mW limit which is what all the manufacturers settled on worldwide, only France have a lower 10mW limit and they are also the only ones to limit the allowable 2.4ghz frequency band, both only for outdoor use. Most mid to high end radios have a "France" switch inside the case or in software, and while it comes on by default in France, most French people I know switch it off, if Spectrum have knobbled their power and band to fall inline with french outdoor RC regulations, to save the cost of all sets being able to switch, I'm sure they will soon regret it when the range comparisons come out, and either go back to switched sets, make 2 versions or pull out of the French "outdoor" market.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    FYI nearly all of the EU run a 100mW limit which is what all the manufacturers settled on worldwide, only France have a lower 10mW limit
    France's differences went away several years ago. France is now fully integrated with the RF regulations used in the rest of the EU. There is one standard for the entire EU, it is not country-by-country. Our surface radios are 100mW anywhere in the world.

The limitations were different than you describe for France, but since that is a moot point now there's no need to go into it. The reason it was different for France is that they had some military equipment using part of the band, and this equipment had to be removed from service before they could follow the others.

We didn't have to do anything with our power. We had to use a different protocol altogether in order to comply. The good news (I don't think Darin really pointed it out enough) is that DSMR is MUCH better on the water than DSM-Marine was. DSM-Marine compatibility is not even a question for me any more. Many of the DSMR receivers (if not all, I'd have to look) are also splash-resistant from the factory. That's not quite as nice as the fully-potted MR3000 but it's way better than no protection at all. Just keep the water out of your radio box :)

Andy
    Last edited by AndyKunz; 08-31-2015 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Adding bold :)
    Spektrum Development Team

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    If you like the Spektrum line and are starting out with new stuff, I can highly recommend the DX4R or DX4S or DX4C. The DSMR is actually a MUCH better system for boats, and I've really liked their TXs over the years.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
    The good news (I don't think Darin really pointed it out enough) is that DSMR is MUCH better on the water than DSM-Marine was.
    I TRIED...

Guess I need to read more carefully. Smack accepted!

Now go up and BOLD it!

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
    Guess I need to read more carefully. Smack accepted!

Now go up and BOLD it!

Andy
    Hahaha.. NO worries.

Besides, now that you are on this thread, these guys can beat up on you instead of me!

You're the one that actually knows what you are talking about anyhow...

this is normal in transmitter/receiver companies..airtronics also has recievers that aren't compatible with new transmitters..is technology..it happens..be happy that the spectrum recievers are very affordable

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post

Hate to be a nit-picker here, but isn't that the *model* number? Which of coarse would be pertinent to this thread, with regard to the *W*. However the transmitters actual *serial* number can be found here; ---
    http://www.spektrumrc.com/content/re...rialNumber.pdf

EDIT; on the DX4S push roller, scroll down to system, push roller, scroll to about, push again.
    Last edited by runzwithsizorz; 09-13-2015 at 12:10 PM.

The code inside the battery door is the PID. It's kind of like a lot number; it tells us information about the exact configuration of your radio.

Andy

Ok so where is the dreded. W at?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast