Thread: Race Prep - P-LTD Impulse 31 V3

Default Race Prep - P-LTD Impulse 31 V3

Hi Gang,

I wanted to report on what was probably the fastest and easiest "race prep" I've ever done to a RTR boat. So little work was actually needed that it's almost a misnomer to call this a "thread"... But here it goes.

I needed a Mono to race in our P-LTD Mono class here in the PSFEMBC, so I pulled my brand new IM31 V3 out of the box.

Motor isn't legal. Quick swap out for a DYNM3835 1500KV motor. Shortened the wires and added new 5.5 contacts to the original 120A ESC and that part was done.

Replaced the coupler with an Octura .150 coupler.

Replaced the turn-fins with a set of my own design (Steven produces and sells there here on OSE).

Replaced the .150 cable with a new cable, only so I could increase the usable prop-shaft length, which allows for longer hub props.

Gave the bottom a quick block sanding... VERY quick... only because I accidentally ran too long of a screw through one side of the motor mount and puckered the bottom.

The most significant change I made was to swap out the factory rudder assembly for a combination of an IM31 V2 rudder bracket assembly, mated to a modified Miss Geico V1 rudder. This gave me a breakaway rudder. Also gave me a tapered rudder, which I have found offers better control and another tuning option on a mono.

That's it... Threw on a tweaked X447/3, flipped the boat twice, once in Mono, the other in offshore, as I was working on the setup. A Quick TAB down and a little bit of battery back and it was nailed.

"1500KV... THAT can't be that fast"...

Wanna race??

These new V3 hulls are SIGNIFICANTLY better quality than previous layups (different supplier) out of the box, and the hull was true enough to drive very nicely. Even go run over once and flipped twice and the hatch held up just fine. No need to add carbon or glass inside the hatch cover on this one.

Overall, FANTASTIC and COMPETITIVE Club Level P-LTD Mono!

20150821_203058.jpg

20150820_163431.jpg

20150820_163440.jpg

20150821_203037.jpg

20150823_140554x.jpg
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

do you suppose that prop had anything to do with you flipping? Seems like that paddle wheel might cause some torque roll. Was that what you sorted out with the tabs?

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaughnessy View Post
    do you suppose that prop had anything to do with you flipping? Seems like that paddle wheel might cause some torque roll. Was that what you sorted out with the tabs?
    Nope... Well... it DID provide the "faster than stock" speeds...

The issue with the tabs was that I didn't set them initially and they were about 1/16" UP... After I moved them to just a tad below even with the bottom, and moved the right one down just a tick more than the left, the boat was flat out stable...

By "flat out" stable... I mean that I could run it flat out, and it was stable doing that. In fact, it even surprised ME how well it was running through the race water and wakes.

Thumbs up

I've thought about running this boat in P Limited for 2016 season in D20
    hmmmmmmm
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Dont be giving away the 1500 speed secrets..lol

So, Darin, is the MG V1 rudder still available? What modification did you make?
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    So, Darin, is the MG V1 rudder still available? What modification did you make?
    I'm not sure. You'd have to search through Horizon Hobby and see.

I machined the top of it out to fit into the original bracket...

Darin, what size brass tubing does the stock strut use? I have tried 1/4 and 9/32....not sure here.

Thanks,
    Bill
    JAE 45 FE, DF Vortex 24, PB Mystic, Aeromarine Sprint Cat 42, Aeromarine Sprint Cat 36

Quote Originally Posted by billf1973 View Post
    Darin, what size brass tubing does the stock strut use? I have tried 1/4 and 9/32....not sure here.

Thanks,
    Bill
    I'd have to measure it. I believe it's a metric size, but I'd have to double check.

Darin, that's what I thought. Let me know what you find out.

Bill
    JAE 45 FE, DF Vortex 24, PB Mystic, Aeromarine Sprint Cat 42, Aeromarine Sprint Cat 36