Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What prop should I get? Lucas oil

Default What prop should I get? Lucas oil

What prop have you guys had the best results with. My boat is stock except for dual cooling lines. Thanks

An m445 works well for my Motley Crew, same boat.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    An m445 works well for my Motley Crew, same boat.

I have a x645 do you think that would be too much pitch? I guess I can try it it wouldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
    I have a x645 do you think that would be too much pitch? I guess I can try it it wouldn't hurt.
    I have tried an x645 on my stock Lucas Oil (well, stock electronics, blueprinted bottom and rounded rudder bottom) and it was fast, but watch the run times and temperature. The motor got quite warm - 45 mm diameter is a lot of blade to swing. But it went like a banshee!

For a better balance of speed, run time, and heat, the x642 is a great propeller.
    Aquacraft Revolt 30, Aquacraft Lucas Oil Cat
    Dumas 44' Coast Guard MLB (undergoing restoration)
    Dumas 55" Wellcraft Scarab 38KV (NIB kit)

Quote Originally Posted by fox88gt View Post
    I have tried an x645 on my stock Lucas Oil (well, stock electronics, blueprinted bottom and rounded rudder bottom) and it was fast, but watch the run times and temperature. The motor got quite warm - 45 mm diameter is a lot of blade to swing. But it went like a banshee!

For a better balance of speed, run time, and heat, the x642 is a great propeller.
    what do you think is faster a 642 or a 445?

Quote Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
    what do you think is faster a 642 or a 445?
    I can't give an honest answer because I haven't tried an m445. I'd like to try one though, because it seems like a good prop for these boats; a lot of people run them. I can say to not try a Grimracer 42x66 lifter prop on the Lucas/MC - it would barely get on plane! That prop worked well on my Revolt however.

I can't give an honest answer because I haven't tried an m445. I'd like to try one though, because it seems like a good prop for these boats; a lot of people run them. I can say to not try a Grimracer 42x66 lifter prop on the Lucas/MC - it would barely get on plane! That prop worked well on my Revolt however.
    That's a prop I need to try next on mine..
    with a X645 is was a beast !
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

My favorite for that boat is the Octura X642 and then the Grimracer 42x55. I have an M445, but never tried it on the Lucas Oil.

My boat with a 2030kv UL-1 motor, will do 53mph tops on the X642, and about 50 mph with the 42x55. The X642 is a great prop for that boat.

I don't see any cooling differences, the boat comes out with 115F on the motor and 110 on the ESC with stock cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by SD Eracer View Post
    My favorite for that boat is the Octura X642 and then the Grimracer 42x55. I have an M445, but never tried it on the Lucas Oil.

My boat with a 2030kv UL-1 motor, will do 53mph tops on the X642, and about 50 mph with the 42x55. The X642 is a great prop for that boat.

I don't see any cooling differences, the boat comes out with 115F on the motor and 110 on the ESC with stock cooling.
    Those are impressive numbers. I will have to try one of those 2030kv motors one of these days.

Those are impressive numbers. I will have to try one of those 2030kv motors one of these days.
    The UL-1 2030kv and X642 prop is a great setup for the Lucas Oil, guaranteed 50+ mph boat.

There are a few warnings however with this setup....

- The hull isn't designed for a hard flip at that speed. Make sure to adjust your strut down to help prevent blowovers, move your batteries further forward as well.

- Solder 5.5mm connectors to the motor and ESC wires. The 2030kv motor runs hotter on the wires than the 1800kv motor does, it will melt your 4mm solder off easily.

- Don't get lazy with taping up of the hatch. Make sure you tape up well, at higher speeds you risk your hatch flying off in a flip.

- I am already assuming you are using a Kintec or OSE flexshaft, the factory one barely could handle stock motor and plastic prop.

- Your run times will be reduced from about 4 minutes to 3.5 minutes with the higher kv motor.

Even with a X440/3 on the 2030 motor mine does very well in Offshore class
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

I have both the MC and LO, as others above mentioned the GR 42x55 is a great all around prop. I also have the m445 and have changed each boat to it, picking up a 1mph to 3mph. I havent tried the x642 yet but still have the 1800kv stock motor in both hulls.

With this setup, these boats are my fun, "never a problem", run 4 minutes each batt set and my kids drive them too.

On a side note, I accidentally picked up 2 revolts(bought one here on OSE, won another on ebay ) and those boats are a blast too!

I raced my lucas oil in P-limited offshore this weekend and compleated 13 3/4 laps in 4 minutes using a M445.

M445 is starting to push it for offshore with that boat. IME I have had good luck in sprint racing with a M545 and a thinned x440/3 for offshore. 1800kv in both(Won our club class in sprint, only ran in offshore a couple times but that prop definitely didn't lack speed against the other boats). Whoever mentioned 2030kv and x440/3 for offshore I would say you can easily cook a motor with that setup if it is warm outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Even with a X440/3 on the 2030 motor mine does very well in Offshore class
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrancisco892 View Post
    M445 is starting to push it for offshore with that boat. IME I have had good luck in sprint racing with a M545 and a thinned x440/3 for offshore. 1800kv in both(Won our club class in sprint, only ran in offshore a couple times but that prop definitely didn't lack speed against the other boats). Whoever mentioned 2030kv and x440/3 for offshore I would say you can easily cook a motor with that setup if it is warm outside.
    not even close bro
    that motor ran very nice
    temps were 115-120* after 4min

Out of all my props the Prather 225 got then most speed without over heating. I got 45mph

Best heat racer prop??

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just started with RC boats 3 months ago... Trying to setup my MC with a good prop. Tried using the x442, x642, & m440/3... just wondering if the previous posters were running on 4S or 5S? Thanks...

Stock 1800kv motor?

The Aquacraft 42x55 or the Octura X642 has been my favorite on 4S with that hull. About 48 mph with the X642.

Get the 2030kv Aquacraft motor with the X642 and you are at 54 mph on 4S.

I would try to stay at that speed or below with a stock hull, a hard flip will crack the seams on that boat.

Stock 1800kv motor?

The Aquacraft 42x55 or the Octura X642 has been my favorite on 4S with that hull. About 48 mph with the X642.

I would try to stay at that speed or below with a stock hull, a hard flip will crack the seams on that boat.
    Thanks for the reply and info. very much appreciate it...

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1TRXSAton View Post
    Just started with RC boats 3 months ago... Trying to setup my MC with a good prop. Tried using the x442, x642, & m440/3... just wondering if the previous posters were running on 4S or 5S? Thanks...
    on 4s a M445 works great
    I've also used a X645 and held on!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    on 4s a M445 works great
    I've also used a X645 and held on!

Hahaha. awesome. Thanks for the info and prop sizes.

Default Motley crew speeds not what you all are getting!

Stock 1800kv motor?

I have tried 3 props x642 profesionally s&b 38.5mph, x442 s&b 38.2mph, 42x55 not sharpen just for the hell of it and ran 35mph. All on zippy 5000 mah 4s. Strut set at 1/8 up from sponsons batteries all the way back,middle, center every which way imaginable and not getting close to the 45-50 mph speeds you all are getting? What am I missing? I have the strut set level, should I put negative or positive angle at the end of the strut. I watched a video of Mike Z himself and he demoed the boat and said it was capable of running near and up to 40mph?? Not sure how you all are reaching nearly 50 on 4s. Any help would be appreciated. All my test have been on near perfect water. Here is a link to Mike's video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-upT7Elc-8I

Thanks.

If these guys are getting 50 on 4s, I'll definitely hit 70 with my 6s setup.

Do any of you add any positive to your strut after it is set or do you just adjust the height level or just below the sponsons and roll with that?

Quote Originally Posted by MADRCER View Post
    I have tried 3 props x642 profesionally s&b 38.5mph, x442 s&b 38.2mph, 42x55 not sharpen just for the hell of it and ran 35mph. All on zippy 5000 mah 4s. Strut set at 1/8 up from sponsons batteries all the way back,middle, center every which way imaginable and not getting close to the 45-50 mph speeds you all are getting? What am I missing? I have the strut set level, should I put negative or positive angle at the end of the strut. I watched a video of Mike Z himself and he demoed the boat and said it was capable of running near and up to 40mph?? Not sure how you all are reaching nearly 50 on 4s. Any help would be appreciated. All my test have been on near perfect water. Here is a link to Mike's video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-upT7Elc-8I

Thanks.

Out of the box with a stock plastic prop, you are looking at 38-40 mph or so. Get the 42x55 or 642, your speeds should go to 45 mph or so, with some tuning, 47-48 mph is about the limit with the stock 1800kv on 4S. You go with a 2030kv from the UL-1, you should hit 54-55 mph. We have stock 2030kv motors on 5S with Seaking 120/180 ESCs doing 60+ mph.

These speeds are pretty normal from what I've seen. I don't know why are you getting 38 mph with a x642 on 4S, you should be in the 45-47 mph zone. My strut angle is a bit more negative than neutral and the batteries as far forward as possible to keep the nose down, otherwise it blows over really easy.

My only though is your motor has a problem, or your throttle isn't calibrated properly. However, is you are using the stock Aquacraft ESC, it forces you to do a throttle calibration everytime you arm it, so it can't be that.

Maybe take a video and post it for us?

Here is a video of the first run box stock on 4s. (33.9mph). The Geico was running 42 mph I have a video I will upload tonight of the 38 mph run with x642.

https://youtu.be/pleTfo56sxk

It does look a bit slow. I'm using the same GPS by the way.

I'm assuming you are running the stock flexshaft?

If so, is the brass bushing in the strut free floating, or is it jammed in there? How much friction is there with the flexshaft in the strut?

Sometimes the tolerances on the stub shaft and the brass bushing are off and cause too much friction.

Also, how much gap are you leaving between the drive dog and the end of the strut, you want about 3-4 mm at least. Sometimes under hard acceleration, the flexshaft will compress enough to bind the drive dog to the end of the strut.

It does look a bit slow. I'm using the same GPS by the way.

I'm assuming you are running the stock flexshaft?

If so, is the brass bushing in the strut free floating, or is it jammed in there? How much friction is there with the flexshaft in the strut?

Sometimes the tolerances on the stub shaft and the brass bushing are off and cause too much friction.

Also, how much gap are you leaving between the drive dog and the end of the strut, you want about 3-4 mm at least. Sometimes under hard acceleration, the flexshaft will compress enough to bind the drive dog to the end of the strut.
    OSE flex shaft installed now, but in that video I had the OEM flex in it with the plastic prop.
    4-5mm gap is the setting I use for flexshaft.

Bushing doesn't free float. I sanded it and got it to come in and out of the stuffing tube pretty good, now when push it all the way in it goes inside the strut holder and I leave the 5mm gap then when I give the boat throttle the bushing sucks back out onto the OSE flex right against the drive dog. Is this normal? The bushing seems to stay out of the holder about 5mm because I have than much gap and it is getting pulled out by the flex when the motor spins. Do you have a picture if your strut setting that I can compare to mine? People are saying 1/8 inch BELOW the sponson's and I also read 1/8 inch above the sponson's. Which is correct to be in the ballpark with x642? Thanks for your help!

Here is another running video (38mph) with x642 that you might be able to tell more about it.
    Last edited by MADRCER; 06-03-2017 at 02:51 AM.
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

Yes, that's perfectly normal for the bushing to move around inside and a little outside during operation, that's what you want to see with that setup.

Attached is my photos of my strut settings, it's what I've been using since I switched to the 2030kv and X642, otherwise the boat will flip over due to the speeds it's getting now.

I would say the bottom of the strut is about 1/8" below the sponson, but also in negative direction. Please note that 3rd photo makes it look like the strut is level, it is not, it's about 1/8th down below sponson, I just wanted you to get a closer look at the negative angle of the strut.

I don't think this will fix your problem, my settings are because of the speeds the boat is getting, your lack of speed seems to be from your lack of power. Maybe borrow a 1800kv motor and see if there is any difference? My UL-1 had a motor issue that caused speed problems, Aquacraft sent me a replacement and fixed the problem.

Lucas 1.jpg
    Lucas 2.jpg
    Lucas 3.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast